Friday, April 22, 2011

Celebrity Week Round-up: The one where I give the Internet a stern talking to

Another Friday is upon us! It's a good Friday for two reasons:


  1. It's actually Good Friday.
  2. I'm took a Paid Time Off day slash mental health day slash if I have to fix another broken link on the website at work, someone will have to lock me up day.
In fact, while you're reading this, I might either be still sleeping (not likely if you're reading this after about 8 am), lounging on the couch or dipping my baby's toes in the Atlantic Ocean for the VERY FIRST TIME. How's that for a Friday?

via
Speaking of Friday, remember Rebecca Black? Of course you do. If you could hear that atrocious song and get away with it NOT burnt permanently into your brain, you're a stronger person than I. She's only been trending on Twitter for, like, 14 years. Although her only achievement thus far are being famous for singing a crappy song that went viral, she's not under police protection after recieving death threats.

Ok. What? I don't condone death threats. At all. I'm what you'd call anti-death threat. So, what special kind of cray-cray (I'm going to keep using this phrase until it's a thing) wastes their time threatening a girl who probably has nothing and has done nothing. I threw together this handy-dandy death-threat flow chart to demonstrate my point:



Try to get that song out of your head now. And.....Tangent time! 

I had a conversation not long ago with Jenn on Twitter about viral videos and other Internet fueled ridiculousness. Using Friday as an example: you have the early adopters who originally found this video and sent it to their other early adopter friends. Then a few other people pick it up. Then you have the early majority (like your best friend who didn't check her email all week) and the late majority (like when your Mom says, "say, have you seen this funny video? ahahahaha, so cute!") 


Except on the internet, it goes to another level. Suddenly something that was a huge joke, (Friday, Charlie Sheen, as two examples) is now mainstream. I saw somewhere that Rebecca Black's song was sampled in a real artists' song? I mean ridiculous.

That's when I get simultaneously embarrassed to be a part of the Internet and mad at every single person who mashed the "Share link" button on YouTube. I'm mad at Yahoo for picking it up, or Good Morning America for doing an interview with her. I just want to hit the Internet on the nose with a rolled up newspaper and say "BAD INTERNET!" I want to rub it's nose in the crap it produced and tell the Internet sternly, "Don't you dare do that again!" 

But it always does.

Wait, there's more!

LeeAnn "homewrecker" Rimes decided the double standard in country music is to blame with her breaking up two marriages (hers and Cibian's).
 "[Country music] has such a double standard. You know, Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash and all these guys. God knows what they did back in the day? And if a woman did it, you never were accepted or forgiven. But if it was a guy, it was just their life… It's quite interesting to have to navigate those waters as a woman in this business."
Yeah. I'm sure that's it.

via
Finally, are reality stars ever going to stop getting rich just by being awful people on TV? Bethenny Frankel used reality TV to spawn a $120 million media empire, so until that stops happening? The answer is no.

Enjoy your weekends, folks!

13 comments:

Jessica said... Reply to comment

Bad social media, bad! I just don't think kids are ready for this jelly, do you? Basically facebook has created a platform for guilt-free bullying :(

Jessica said... Reply to comment

I can't believe BF has a $120 million empire. Insane.

gv said... Reply to comment

Enjoy your day off and I hope Luke enjoys the ocean. FYI-your ad on the right was for "City Sex" and totally had a pic of a nudey girl.

KLZ said... Reply to comment

Um, but the double standard didn't make you do the actual cheating. And if she'd shut up about it like cibian she might get better press. Idiot.

tara said... Reply to comment

Ugh. Now I have that stupid song stuck in my head. "its friday.. friday.."

Hutch said... Reply to comment

I'm still trying to figure out how someone sampled Rebecca Black's song when all she did was use Justin Beiber's Baby.

Bill said... Reply to comment

diffusion of innovation = my grandma poking me on facebook. This is why I don't tell my family about twitter/blogs.

Also, that double standard is called all of society. not just country music. that's why it's cool to be p-i-m-p, but being a ho is undesirable.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said... Reply to comment

I agree with KLZ if she's shut her cheating trap for more than 2 minutes about her and her relationship then people might actually start to pay attention to her in a positive way again. Have you ever checked out his ex wife's tweets?!? OHHH man... go there now!

Liz said... Reply to comment

I don't know the death threat chick though I think your graph is highly official and stuff.

Married In Chicago said... Reply to comment

Stopping by from the Lady Bloggers Tea Party, I love your site! Celebrity Gossip is definitely something I secretly (not so secretly?) enjoy! haha. But, I gotta say - I kinda think Bethenny is hilarious :)

brandy-son Zen master flash said... Reply to comment

Too funny! I'm not a fan of Leann or that Bethany chick. I too am stopping by from the Lady Bloggers Tea Party.

Classic NYer said... Reply to comment

I'm proud to say I'm one of the maybe fifteen or sixteen people left in the country who has actively refused to watch that Rebecca Black video through morbid curiosity or for any other reason.

Stopping in from the LBS tea party!

myinnerchick.com said... Reply to comment

Popping in from Lady Blogger.
Love the site! Very Cool.
Damn, that girl makes 120 Million?
Absolutely Outrageous!

Post a Comment

Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.

Related Posts with Thumbnails