Monday, March 7, 2011

You've come a long way, baby

As we were packing to leave on a weekend trip to Tampa on Friday, I found a tiny, yellow hat under the bassinet. It took me back to the last time Luke wore that hat, the first week we had him home from the hospital when he would sleep approximately never hours and zero minutes. The first night we tried to get him to sleep in pretty much every device made for baby sleeping and some that were not. We tried the swing with and without a swaddle. We played the music that comes with those baby swings, mechanical renditions of classical pieces that circled through my subconscious as I slept.

We tried lights on and off, the pack n play, the crib, and in a moment of sheer desperation and exhaustion, we tried laying him on our chests while we sat sleeping up. Turns out, rocking in someone's arms for the better part of the night was more his cup of tea.

Then there was the matter of his temperature and general comfort, because as you moms and dads know ,and we found out quickly, parents don't really know if the baby is too hot or cold unless they are screaming, and even then it's sort of a crap shoot. Our son was born in November, but also November in Florida, so it is hot, then cold, then hot. Rinse and repeat. SO, we dressed him layers at night: onesie, socks, blanket sleeper, and a hat. The hat was an exercise in futility; it never once stayed on for more than five minutes. And of course, with an anxious mom and worry wort dad, we checked constantly to see if it was somehow smothering him.

Three months later, we don't mess with the hats, he sleeps laying down in his bassinet without music hours at night, for which I'm eternally thankful to the big guy upstairs. He's learning to hold on to toys and his feet, and learning to roll to his side. He;s laughing and smiling and clearly thinks we're so silly. Those times are simply the best.

But I'm learning there are challenges with every age. I always naively though I could just keep on doing whatever I did before, but with a baby in tow. After two consecutive baby meltdowns in restaurants this weekend, I realize my life as I knew it is gone. Long gone. Riding into the sunset with its friends, happy hour and a clean house.

Even when he's at his crabbiest, ripping us all a new one because the sun is just way too bright for his liking, all he needs to do is smile at me and I fall more and more in love. We've come a long way in the past three months, Luke, me and hub, us as a family, and we have so much more to learn.

I can't wait to see what other changes are in store.



For you moms and dads, did you realize your life had changed sooner than I did, or am I just slow?

21 comments:

Mommy A. said... Reply to comment

It gets easier with a second one, or maybe it's just my youngest's temperament. I was just thinking yesterday about how baby Zach fit seamlessly into our lives 9 years after we had his older brother. But Zach's an easy baby.
Now his brother? Phew! That kid almost had us in some serious need of nerve meds. They're all different in most areas except for one: ALL are a joy in their own way. Congrats on reaching this milestone, Amanda.

Erin said... Reply to comment

You were in Tampa this weekend?? It was beautiful, wasn't it?

I still have nightmares about getting my infants to sleep at night. Swaddlers, sleepsacks, and pacis oh my!

JMJE said... Reply to comment

Ha, I love his face in that picture. I actually just busted out laughing at work.

KLZ said... Reply to comment

Oh, no.

I totally thought as long as I'd packed all his things we could do stuff. Took me about 3 months to realize that wasn't true. My non-parent friends still get mad when I explain that if they want me to bring Alex to dinner, we need to go at 5. Ah, but, they'll learn. When they have a baby I hope they have me on speed dial.

MrsJenB said... Reply to comment

Ahhhhhh! That look is KILLING me!!! What a cutie pie - I can see how it's impossible to not fall more and more in love.

Rachel said... Reply to comment

Great post! And I've found that even though I already know my life is different, every so often something will happen and I think "damn, this really IS different." Sort of like new scenarios bring it to my attention again. It's something that's always been hard for me to put in words. But, I definitely understand where you're coming from...and don't be surprised in a few weeks when something ELSE happens and it hits you again! Best change ever! :)

erin said... Reply to comment

Awww! He makes the cutest little faces. If I keep seeing babes in cute tees online I might have to have a tubal reversal. Five kids isn't too many, is it?! !??

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

I knew my life was going to change the minute I found out I was pregnant. There will always be a new challenge but it does get easier the older they get.

SmartBear said... Reply to comment

Wonderful post Amanda! And yes, I had the same misconceptions. Just take the baby along! HA! I remember that first night. The night we now referred to as the Night We Almost Abandoned Our Newborn At the Fire Station. I kept saying to myself "what did I do?" I felt it so impossible to love someone so much and still feel such regret at the same time.
Things got A LOT smoother after 6 months. Between 3 and 6 months was hard. They wake up. I always thought babies just slept when they were tired. I had no idea you had to help them go to sleep. (Did you know between 4 and 5 months the brain learns to regulate sleep cycles?) It was very anxiety provoking for me.
Looking back, I wish I could have relaxed about it a bit more. I wish I would have gone out and about more and traveled more when he was small. It seemed so impossible then.
SOunds like you are doing great girlie! He is SO adorable!
Best,
Tina

Liz said... Reply to comment

my kids do NOT travel well! Sorry to burst that bubble of hope for you! but, yes, one of the less fabulous changes to the life of a parent.

Natalie said... Reply to comment

I've been at this mom thing for 14 years and it never ceases to amaze me how different my life is. Just when I'm used to one phase, they grow and change and we're dealing with something new again.

I remember those first few months are tough.. Even when I KNEW what to expect, I struggled. Oh holy tired..

Unknown said... Reply to comment

Awe. I almost have to stop reading your posts like this because you give me baby fever. Not that I want to lose the life I have -- but because I want one of those little smiles to melt my heart.

I love that you're so honest about motherhood... it's never easy - but it's good to know that sometimes there's the bad that comes with the good too.

Hutch said... Reply to comment

My mom friends have tended to kind of drop off the map during the first of the teething/fussy stages, but then they realize we don't care and have adapted so the baby doesn't completely effect their social life. Granted we get together at houses a lot more than restaurants/bars.

foxy said... Reply to comment

So I shouldn't dream of family-style happy hours? Because I was pretty sure we'd get right back at that. ;)

And yeah, I'm still pretty much under the assumption that Baby Lyle will fit into our life... instead of us rotating around his. I'm in for a rude awakening, aren't I??

Stephanie in Suburbia said... Reply to comment

I'm sorry, did you ask something? I'm just dazzled by the most hilarious baby expression EVER!!!

But seriously, we've been lucky with Wee 'Burb. Buuuut, I think that's because I am fairly careful to keep her on schedule. Which means we do not really go out if I can't get her back in time for a decent nap. So that obviously restricts a loooot of what I do.

And this also have been an issue with the evenings, like if people invite us over to dinner. They always want us to bring the baby, and we try to explain she goes to bed at 6:30 and they're like "That's okay" and then she's fussy and clingy and crashes and then we have to transfer her from wherever to the car and then to the crib.

Yeah, things are a tad different.

Sarah Mac said... Reply to comment

I heart his face. I want to eat it up with a spoon.

Liz Mays said... Reply to comment

It's a gradual change, and I know I've looked back sometimes and think huh? How'd we get here? Life has totally changed!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said... Reply to comment

Aw, he's just so cute!!! I wonder sometimes what it'll be like not to just be able to jump in the car for a quick target run.

Jackie said... Reply to comment

He is just so cute, and so full of personality already! So glad things are going better and you have figured out your new normal.

Logical Libby said... Reply to comment

You have no clue. And baby hats are for wussy babies. Luke knows that.

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

What a ham! Look at that face.

Post a Comment

Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.

Related Posts with Thumbnails