Thursday, February 3, 2011

Love Letter to my future teenager

Mama's Losin' It


Dear Luke,

As I'm writing this, you're 2 months old.

Sweet boy, you've been a joy to us, an incredible blessing. You've grown my heart to lengths I never thought existed. You're starting to discover the world: the mobile above your bed, your little hands, our faces. You laugh when Daddy and I don't know what we're doing, like the time I put two legs in one leg hole. You thought that was hilarious.

You also laugh when we're just looking at your beautiful, innocent face. That smile melts my heart every time.

But by the time you read this letter, you'll be a teenager. You can put on your own pants and probably don't think it's funny anymore when we don't know what we're doing (I'm sure you'll think we NEVER know what we're doing). Long gone will be the days when just looking at us made you smile, but I'm sure that smile will still melt my heart.

If you're like your Daddy, you'll love sports. You'll probably be playing a few, too. I'm sure I'll spend lots of nights and weekends sitting on cold, hard bleachers or lawn chairs on a sideline.

Baseball and basketball are fine, but you'll play football over my dead body.

Soon you'll be bringing home girlfriends. It might start with a girl who you swear is a friend, nothing more, but you text (or whatever kids are doing 15 years in the future) with her non-stop. Or it might be a date to homecoming. Or hanging out at a football game.

Son, it's important that no matter how you meet your first little girlfriend, you should treat her well. Hold doors for her, answer her phone calls. Call her back. Listen to her. Surprise her with her favorite things. Don't take her for granted. Above all, treat her with respect.

Also, remember this: no matter what girl rushes in or out of your life, your Mommy loved you first. And if that girl breaks your heart? I will cut her.

There, I said it. Right there on the Internet for all and sundry to read. My heart will burn with hate for any girl who breaks yours.

I probably won't like her at first. I might not like her EVER. There may be other girls that come around who I will also hate. Someday the right one will come along and I will like her, but expect me to want to break most of their legs.

Sorry, son, but you're my precious little boy and ain't no girl out there good enough for you.

Love, Mommy



*Post inspired by Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop with the writing prompt: Write a letter to your future teen.*

21 comments:

Ally said... Reply to comment

This is the PERFECT letter to go with that picture! Very Mama Lioness with a touch of gentle. I don't even want to think about what kids will be doing for fun in 15 years. Maybe we can try to bring back the Atari like jazz hands...

Little redhead said... Reply to comment

That was so sweet, you're such a good mom. Treasure these moments now, because he'll grow up fast! If you teach him all those things he'll definately be an amazing catch to a girl some day faaar ;) in the future!

Shannon said... Reply to comment

Hahhaha I'm dying. I'll be telling my little guy something similar. My brothers thought they had it bad with my overbearing opinions on their ladyfriends? My son has NO idea!

JMJE said... Reply to comment

Great letter. I seriously laughed out loud at the "i will cut her" line. But true, you will probably hate her.

Cecelia Winesap said... Reply to comment

Oh boy, I've had all of these same thoughts! What an awesome letter! I am so dreading prom. I get a sick feeling in my stomach just thinking about it and we're fifteen years away. Ugh. Devil girls. :)

Sarah Mac said... Reply to comment

I know how protective you'll be of him just from knowing how protective you've been of me!! Maybe by the time he goes to homecoming he will have a super protective firey redhead of an aunt close by too! ;-)

Natalie said... Reply to comment

My oldest son, who is 14, recently went through his first heartbreak. When he confided that he had cried after the breakup, it took everything I had not to hunt the stupid little twit down & rip her a new one. Obviously via facebook b/c it would just be weird if I showed up at her house.

No matter how old they get, they're always our babies.

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

<3

I love this post so much it makes my heart hurt. Just thinking about my girls as teenagers is enough to send me into the corner rocking. If they're anything like I was, I'm in serious trouble. Seriously though, this was an adorable letter from momma to cub. And hilarious. As usual.

Hutch said... Reply to comment

Awww, I love this! Perhaps mama shouldn't be having any sharp objects around when a girl comes over.

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

Love this. I wrote a letter to my son too, who is currently 19 months old. Hard to imagine them as teenagers, huh? And girlfriends... forget it!! I didn't even go there.

Stopping by from Mama Kat's.

foxy said... Reply to comment

I absolutely love this. LOVE IT!

Salt said... Reply to comment

This made me laugh and cry at the same time. Keep this in a safe place (uhhh the internet?). He has to see it when he's old enough. :)

MariahSmile said... Reply to comment

I think more moms need to write letters like this to their sons! "I will cut her" is a classic line! haha

Not Just Another Jennifer said... Reply to comment

Love this! My DH says he's locking our girls in the basement til they're 30. :)

KLZ said... Reply to comment

I wouldn't have believed a word of this if you hadn't threatened to cut her. The baby love is that strong.

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

I love this! It's funny and sweet at the same time. Love the picture, too. He's a doll and you look so gorgeous and peaceful holding him.

SurferWife said... Reply to comment

I hear you, girl. That Mama Bear is a fierce emotion, isn't it?

And you look like America's Next Top Model in that picture.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said... Reply to comment

I love this sweet letter! I especially love the girlfriend part.

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

What a wonderful photo of you and your handsome man!

Trish Iles said... Reply to comment

And then comes the day when you ask your grown son, "Why don't you have a DATE tonight?" LOL.

You start looking at young women with new eyes, and think "this is the kind of girl I hope he finds" or "I'd have to kidnap him and move to Belize before I could let him get involved with one like this!" Moms. It's what we do.

Shell said... Reply to comment

As a mom to 3 little boys, I was cracking up at you saying you'd cut her.

I am so not looking forward to the teenage years.

Post a Comment

Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.

Related Posts with Thumbnails