How there are never any problems closing or financing?
How the television crew goes back a month later and the house is in perfect order, not a box in sight?
That.
Is.
MALARKEY.
| Our sweet little house with the landscaping we put it! |
[ wavy lines representing going back in time in my mind ]
Hubby and I decided it was time to start house hunting. We wanted to put down some roots and that little $8k government stimulus was burning a hole in our pockets. Plus, we were getting tired of apartment living, what with the people stomping around above us and the lack of parking. We started to look online at the Reality sites and then a couple months later got a Realtor.
Ok, so this Realtor. We didn't know how to go about finding one, so Hub asked one of his friends, who suggested this guy. He went to the same church we did so we thought, oh, he's probably nice and will do a good job. WRONG. He was a bumbling idiot. I felt like I was in an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond or something because this guy was unbelievable. His name was JR and he typically sold farm land and commercial real estate, but was "nice enough" to help out us newbie property virgins.
Our first meeting with him was interesting. After telling him exactly what we wanted in a home, he told us it sounded like we didn't know, but he'd pull some houses for us from the database. He found a handful and we set up a meeting a few days later to look at them. We met at his office and we all climbed into this huge pick up truck with dog hair EVERYWHERE and headed our our adventure. The first house we saw, we fell in love with. It was just lovely and perfect for us. JR, said he was the type who didn't want to be "pushy", so he just sat down in the living room of this house and made some calls on his Blackberry.
Sat down. On the floor. To make calls.
After a long day of searching, and a couple days of SOUL searching, we decided to make an offer on this house. We met, again, at his office and started drawing up the paperwork. I had a number in mind for what we wanted to offer according to what would fit in our budget, but he started insisting our payment would be more than what we figured it would be. Turns out he was calculating the wrong tax rate. Smart! Oh, and that house? Already had an offer.
Here are some other things he did:
- Didn't answer our phone calls for various reasons, including but not limited to: phone battery died; showing houses (although we were trying to get a hold of him at a CRITICAL time and he obviously didn't have trouble answering when he was showing houses to us); out tending his cattle; bathroom emergency.
- Couldn't ever get someplace on time, like EVER.
- Teased Hubby ALL the time about everything he did, but in a way where it's not a joke, it's because he is annoyed.
- Told Hubby to sign first because "he's the man of the house".
Then there was our financing. That was the biggest bunch of malarkey known to man. The mortgage broker guy was all, "Oh you guys are in GREAT shape, we'll have this done in no time! Closing date is August 4! Get excited people!" And then he promptly went out of town, leaving us in the "capable" hands of Tyler, who in reality should only have been trusted with things like filing paperwork and making coffee. Tyler screwed us royally by listing the WRONG closing date on our paperwork, then lying that it was the bank's fault. I yelled at him a lot. After the fact, bossman at the brokerage was like, "sorry for your troubles. Here is a gift card!"
So, right, August 5 was our original closing date. Tyler called one day and said it would be moved till the next day. And he continued this again and again until the closing date was August 7 -- but only maybe, if we could get the money transferred in time. Somehow, either the brokerage or the lawyers office was having trouble getting our money (which they had in their hot little hands by the original closing date) to the sellers, who wouldn't give up the keys until then. We were moving out of our apartment August 8. They were moving to Tallahassee August 6. You can see why we were frustrated.
Finally closing was set for 2 pm on August 7. We met JR at the house to take one last walk through before we signed the papers. He pulled out his magic key dispenser thing for the lock box -- and the batteries were dead. Like really, JR, you're going to pull one more screw up the last day we have to deal with you. Phenomenal. He heads around to the backyard and begins pulling on windows, hoping that one was unlocked. He tried the back door. He was trying to break into our new home!
After getting new batteries, he was able to retrieve the key. He just handed them to us and said, "Oh, you guys can probably just keep these. No reason putting the lock box back." But what about the dramatic "handing over the keys" I saw on Our First Place? I was robbed!
At one point it just started getting comical. We signed our lives away while JR played on his Blackberry, teased Hubby and stole pens from the desk. The lawyer started to fax our paperwork, then came back in a short time later and said a lightening storm earlier in the day had fried their fax machine and they were waiting to get it fixed. Fabulous. After waiting close to 3 hours, we were done, but the final nail in the coffin was that JR had to drive me home in his skunky truck because Hubby had to run to the bank before it closed.
There were no hugs, no tears of joy, no one saying excitedly, "Here are the keys to your new home!" It was all anti-climatic.
So in conclusion, my first real estate experience brought not only a new home, but at least 8 pounds from stress eating. Thank you, JR, for contributing to that stress.
Have you bought a home? Was it as messy as my home buying experience?
This post has been a part of Word Up, Yo!, a vocabulary meme. Go play along!
19 comments:
Ugh...our house hunting madness is currently on hold. Mostly because both of us have become so swamped with work that we don't have time or patience for this brand of COMPLETE MADNESS.
Dude, JR sucks. He deserves a swift kick in the ass. and apparently car chargers for every battery-operated device known to man.
That sounds familiar! We had a few key differences, though- our Realtor, Angie, was fantastic, such a sweetheart that I wanted to be BFF with her after it was all over. C took forever finding a house he liked enough to make an offer on. We were on the FOURTH house we'd made an offer on, since for one reason or another the first tree didn't go very far, and we encountered yet another problem- the appraisal we'd gotten was higher than the one the bank got (Thank you FHA for adding a few dozen hoops), and the seller did not want to go down to the bank approved price. After two weeks of bargaining with the seller, he finally agrees. YAY, right? Nope.
The very next morning C got laid off. And since he'd been planning on using his emergency fund as part of the down payment.... no house. :(
I'm still greiving a little. I loved that house.
We'll try again in a year or so, and hope that it'll be a lot simpler without the goofy FHA mess.
I've heard from just about everyone that househunting is stressful, that it takes a lot of time and patience.
Definitely, can relate to what you said about feeling tired of apartment living and the noise associated with it. I want our own house so very much, but it seems like it just isn't in our budget yet.
You are so lucky to have a house to call your own. It sounds like it was quite an experience, but one well worth the wait. And I love the photo of your house!
OH MY! We had an "interesting" real estate agent, but our experience wasn't anything like yours!
At least you know what real estate agent you WON'T have selling your house :)
That sounds horrendous. I know I don't actually know you, but I would imagine it would take a lot for you to actually yell at someone.
My roommate's in the midst of a short sale. Short, meaning long. She put in her offer in June, it was officially accepted this week BUT the bank and the owners still have terms to work out. The earliest she could be moving is October, but could be November or December. This also entails me moving in to my own place but I can't even start looking until she gets her 45 days. BANANAS!
Luckily, my poppa is a loan officer so when I bought my first house (before hubs), he helped me and it was easy...I let him do everything! I dread the day Matt and I buy a house together....I'll say one price range and his will be $30,000 more!
oh. So yeah. I know a thing or two about this because I worked in mortgage and basically nobody in the entire real estate and mortgage business knows what they are doing nor do they know how to work together.
It's almost like everyone was working against one another.
Annoying.
WOW!!! That is WOW. I am really sorry that you had such a crazy house buying experience. My mom was a realtor and I have many friends who are realtors and I assisted my mom and 2 of her friends with real estate one summer so I know how a good, professional realtor is suppose to act.... thats not it.
I applaud you for being able to buy and close on a house pretty much on your own since you had a dodo for a realtor. At least you have funny stories to reflect on and you wont ever forget your first home buying experience.
I dont think any house buying experience is smooth though. OR that Fairytale, made-for-TV BS. Thats all staged. It is one of the most difficult experiences to go through. When all is said and done you dont want to celebrate or hav that moment becayuse you are fearing something will go wrong.
No, I personally have never bought a house but I have seen my parents go through it twice. Fun roller coaster ride. Currently my boyfriend and I have come across a gold mine though and might be ab;le to take ownership on a home because of averse possesssion. WHICH NEVER HAPPENS. SO we are currently working with 3 laywers. FUN! But if all goes well we might be owners of a home by the end of the year. All we have to pay would be property taxes and utilities. Too good to be true? I think so but my bf is more hopeful.
:) Happy Houseversary!
our one year houseiversary was on 8/7 too!!
Oh yuck! That sucks that you had such an awful experience. Your first house buying experience should be all kinds of awesome like they show on TV! Well, I used to work for a real estate company so I can totally understand what you went through. We had some real schmucks working for us too. We did get lucky though with our agent. I had known her from selling my brother his house and I loved her. Now the problem is trying to make enough money to keep our house.
Happy Houseiversary!
this sounds like a stressful experience - but i like the pic of your house - it's beautiful
HGTV would definitely not be making an episode about your home buying experience (then again, I have seen a few "homebuyer beware" specials) ;)
We bought our 1st home 3 years ago and it wasn't warm & fuzzy either. After closing, we didn't even get the keys until 24 hours later! Sexy Nerd was no help. I was excited to start moving into our 1st house (insanely excited! "Look at this doorknob! Oh wow! Did you notice how much space there is between the garage door and the laundry room door?") He is more the "that's nice, now help me unpack" type of guy.
Our exciting "here are the keys moment" was the old owners telling us the code to get in the garage. Too bad you couldn't pull in the garage b/c of 5 foot tall trash pile in the middle.
Oh love, that is the worst realtor story I've heard in a long time!!! We were really lucky to find Whitney through a mutual friend, but that almost NEVER works out. And then you have to hope to goodness that they are as nervous and anxious about each and every detail as you are so they will work as hard for you as you would work for yourself! JR is a tool and he, fortunately, will probably never see a dime of your money again and this is not the last house you will ever own. I think you should put this blog post on Angie's List!
My realtor was actually really cool. She really listened to what we said we wanted and really helped us out with everything. And my mortgage guy was my brother's BFF. I guess I was lucky. I did freak out the weekend that we put in our first offer and then had a back and forth with the owners of the house. Plus my in-laws were in town at the time so it was super stressful. It was my houseiversary back in April. Oh and I do not reccommend buying a house at the same time as you are planning your wedding.
Oh my gosh! That sounds like an awful realtor! You should have called the license people!
I can't believe he said your husband should sign first because he was the "Man of the house". Awesome. You should have just taken your shoes and socks off and said, "Well, I'll be in the kitchen!"
We have finally just started the house buying process!! YAY!!! Of course, by that I mean we decided to go ahead and start.....haven't talked to a bank yet, gotten a realtor, but dangit, I found the perfect house already! and it's mostly in our budget! ;) I hope the process isn't too messy....I think I can deal with everything else once we get the financial part out of the way. Ugh....hate money!
Post a Comment
Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.