Sunday, February 21, 2010

When did I get so old aka music ain't what it used to be

So do y'all know about the singer named Ke$ha?

I like to pronounce it KEE sha. Hubby works with teenagers and is a little more in tune with what the youngin's are listening to and he says it's pronounced KESH uh. You know what? It's not pronounced either way because it is written with a dollar sign for that middle S and therefore is unable to BE pronounced. I mean honestly.

I guess it's because I really don't listen to top 40 music. I'm too old and married and lame to go to clubs and listen to it there. And top 40 stations are so annoying in the mornings, with all the loud talking and prank calls and whatnot. Please, top 40 station, I haven't had my coffee, keep your voices down.

Sidebar: Is it even called top 40 anymore? I mean what's like, KIIS FM called. Or the stations that play Ryan Seacrest's show. Is that top 40?

So I listen to the "adult contemporary from the 70s, 80s, 90s and today" station. Lots of soft talking and low tones and unoffensive music. Colbie Calet followed by the Eagles and then a little Billy Joel to round out the half-hour. That's what gets my blood pumping in the AM.

Then I tune into 90's on 9 on XM radio as soon as I hop in the car. I do love me some 90s tunes, y'all. If you were born in 1980 or after, listen when I tell you this, YOU ARE NOT AN 80S BABY. You are whatever type of music that was playing when you were in the 6th to ninth grade and to a certain extent, your freshman year of college. If you danced to any of these songs during your 7th grade dance that took place the last hour of the school day in your school gym, you're a 90s kid. You heard it here.

So K-E-dollar sign-H-A. No offense to anyone reading who busts a move to her songs, but the other day, Hubby and I were listening to her song in the car and I was appalled that 13-year-old children listen to this stuff.

Like:
Before I leave, brush my teeth with a bottle of Jack
Cause when I leave for the night, I ain’t coming back
Jack, like Jack Daniels? 'Cause that seems unsanitary. And:
I’m talking about - everybody getting crunk, crunk
Boys trying to touch my junk, junk
and WHAT?
Come put a little love it my glove bag
I wanna dance with no pants on
Come meet me in the back with the jack and the jukebox
 "Glove bag", really? Teenagers are listening to this? I mean I'm sure we had the same things going on when I was 13 but I truly don't remember songs with nasty lyrics like this. I sound like a total prude right now. I just get sad hearing young kids idolizing and singing along with adult lyrics like this, because being an adult is HARD and music like this is just the gateway into adulthood and I want to tell them, STAY YOUNG AS LONG AS YOU CAN!

Because one day you're listening to Ke$ha sing about a no-pants-dance, rocking your Ke$ha t-shirt from Hot Topic and the next thing you know, you're getting up every morning at 7 am to work. And will continue doing this for the next 35 years of your life (if you're lucky).

So who out there can explain Ke$ha to me?

27 comments:

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

Marilyn Manson's not looking all that bad now is he? Seriously though I just googled that chick, and I have to admit - she's pretty hot.

By the way - nice Billy Maddison Reference

Chicken said... Reply to comment

I hate this song! Have you seen this girl? Nothing but eyeliner and hair extensions? She looks like the girl that by midnight is face planted in the bathroom stall when her E and Jack didn't mix well. I went on a rant today about talent lacking Fergie(licious). blah!

Emma said... Reply to comment

I have no idea about Ke$ha, so I don't really have anything of value to add here.

I just want to say, I miss the 90's. I miss flannel shirts and new episodes of Mad About You. I miss The Real World being actually interesting and....

I think I know what I'm blogging about tomorrow. :)

Daydream Believer said... Reply to comment

You are so funny! Love the post, especially since I heard this song today while driving. It made me so angry that this girl is now a gazillionaire from that song that I almost crashed into the person merging in the lane next to me. Gah!!!

Sarah Beth said... Reply to comment

First of all, totally agree about not being a child of the 80s if you were born in them - you're too young to know. Possible exception - if you had much older siblings.

Regarding Ke$ha, I think her songs are catchy, but I'm 25. The thing that really bugs me about her music is that it's totally marketed to teenagers - or, really, preteens. The music video is her in her parents' house. No one still living at home has any business drinking jack or staying out all night.

AssertiveWit said... Reply to comment

OMG! I had no idea that Ke$ha was the same chick singing that song ahhahahahahah

Well if you think this little tart is horrible, you don't want to hear the things Nicki Minaj says....

Daydream Believer said... Reply to comment

This was one of the funniest things I've read in a long time. You brightened my day with it!

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

You are soooo right on this! I've got teenagers and they hate this stuff too (but they tell me they are in the minority!)

Thanks for the laugh this morning, though!

Have a great day :)

tootie said... Reply to comment

I don't understand why her song is so popular either. Maybe I'm getting old, too!

JMJE said... Reply to comment

HA. So I do kind of listen to a lot of pop music in my car when I'm driving. But the first time I heard this KE$$HAHAH$$A (however you spell it) song, I was like what did I just hear? I also feel that brushing your teeth with a bottle of Jack is maybe not the best idea but I will check with my dentist next month when I go for my appointment.

Sarah said... Reply to comment

OK, you know we listened to this kind of stuff. Examples ...

Cream, get on top. Cream, you don't stop.

Push it, push it real good.

Let's talk about sex, baby.

I touch myself.

She's my cherry pie.

I wanna shoop, baby.

notquiteawake said... Reply to comment

I can't explain unfortunately. I can't stand that song. And I totally agree with you about the lyrics that kids are listening to these days. (Look, I'm 80!) One of my old clients was telling me that she came home one day and her 6 year old girl was singing the inspired Lady Gaga line "Wanna take a ride on your disco stick". I imagine that was adorable.

Amanda said... Reply to comment

Found you over at Lady Bloggers - this post was pretty funny to me, I think the song has a good beat (yeah I still listen to top 40, but I'm 24 so I guess that is okay) but I agree that songs are a little racy these days.

But Madonna was racy in the 80's and there was some questionable music before and after that as well. But I think stuff like this is making the kids grow up too fast!

just call me jo said... Reply to comment

I swear I'm the oldest person ever blogging...I can't even understand the lyrics of most music that is popular today.

Now that I can see the actual words, I'm glad I haven't really heard them. Oh, my!

Makes, "I wanna hold your hand..." seem absolutely Victorian and prudish, eh?

I ain't listenin' ever...Ke$ha, my ass.

Salt said... Reply to comment

I cannot explain her. All I know about her for sure is that she has poor oral hygiene, is an alcoholic, and enjoys getting pedicures on her toes toes.

I always thought it was KEE sha also, so I learned something new today.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said... Reply to comment

I think we listen to the same 90's station in the mornings. Xm radio is where it's at! I can't handle that stuff from Kei$ha and crap company in the morning.

Unknown said... Reply to comment

I was born in '82 so yes... 90s music is my heart and soul.

Do you remember that song "Pony" by Ginuwine? I think that was one of the dirtiest I remember from my teen years. I remember it came on the radio once when I was driving with my dad in the car and I about DIED.

I don't get the Ke$ha thing either. Yuck. I listen to *some* top 40 stuff and some newer rock, but mostly I love 70s/80s/90s music. Ah, the good ol' days. (Does every generation feel that way? Guess so...)

(Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier, by the way!)

Daisygirl said... Reply to comment

hahahahaha! I am an 80s baby here!!! Except I am secretly in love with Justin Timberlake for some reason!

There are definitely some crazy songs out there and I can't help but laugh especially when my kids try to sing...3OH!3 don't trust me...

I have not clue about the keesha girl or ke money sha.

gv said... Reply to comment

Never even heard of her before...oops! Guess I'm old and married too! I remember when I was a camp counselor and some girl was singing "The Magic Stick" song, I was appalled! I asked if she knew what the song was about and she said no so I told her she couldn't sing it then. Kids these days...wow, did I really just write that? I am old!

Hutch said... Reply to comment

I think the only new music I listen to these days is country. Put on Top 40 stations or hip-hop and my head wants to explode. Why is it all so digitized and what happened to actual singing? Unless, of course, its flashback friday...now that I'm all about!

See Mom Smile said... Reply to comment

I do listen to top 40 with my teenagers. But we have a trade off. For every hour I listen to theirs, they have to listen to mine..."Come on Ileen...."

jules said... Reply to comment

I'm with you. What the hell is up with the $ sign in names? Exactly what are they trying to say? That the feel better about themselves flaunting money? Apparently I'm old too, but I dont wish I liked that Kei$ha anyway!

Cheryl said... Reply to comment

I cannot explain Ke$ha (did I even type that correctly?) or most of the "hip" performers of today. I'll listen to my 80s and 90s 'till the day I die. Happily.

MariahSmile said... Reply to comment

I totally dislike listening to music they are making nowadays! I LOVE the oldies too!

Sponge said... Reply to comment

I seem to remember "Baby Got Back" being the forbidden fruit of pop music when I was a kid.

Dalia (Generation X Mom) said... Reply to comment

So true, I often wonder when I got "old" too. I find myself asking my kids about these people! I always imagined things like that being WAY in the future and not now!

Tracie said... Reply to comment

I call the 90's The Awesome Years. I was in college then and having a heck of a time. (We Are Marshall and all that jazz.)

Ke$ha makes me feel like a granny because I get all "these kids and their music" when that song is on.

Post a Comment

Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.

Related Posts with Thumbnails