See? Awesome. Hubby carved that last year.
We had some spooky Halloween music and set up a nice little operation from our driveway, including some pretty stellar candy options. I'm not talking, like, the generic kids mix. I'm talking Hersey's bars, Kit Kats and Nerds.
We got about 3 kids. The rest of the candy went straight to my thighs.
This year we decided to be grinches, or whatever the Halloween equivalent is. Hubby and I went out to dinner and ran errands, then lost track of time and came home right about when Trick-or-Treat was starting and our street was SWARMING with those little sugar-hungry brats.
We rushed inside so we wouldn't be spied, left the door closed and the porch light off. A few minutes later, our doorbell rang.
Who sends their child up to a dark house? Seriously, who does that?
Luckily, we had some 6-month old suckers from ye olden days of my 1st trimester morning sickness, so I popped those bad boys in the bags of those eagerly awaiting children, while their mother graciously shone her flashlight onto our sidewalk so the kids could see the dark house they were approaching. The dark house containing who knows what manner of grumpy, angry people. I mean, hypothetically, if we're cantankerous enough to deny kids their God-given, red-blooded American right to free candy on Halloween, what other deep dark secrets could we be harboring?
And additionally, I thought the international sign for, "I'm not giving out candy because I hate you. Please go away" is to turn off your light. Maybe things have changed in the past 18 years since I've been begging for treats.
We decided since we've already broken the seal, as it were, that we'd flip on the light and continue giving out stale suckers until it was over. All in all, we got about 10 kids. That includes the kids who were in such a hurry that they couldn't wait 60 seconds for me to rock my pregnant butt out of the recliner and waddle to the door. Ungrateful.
Did you give out candy? What percentage of children, would you estimate, forgot to say either "Happy Halloween", "Thank you" or both?

26 comments:
hiya. we were out of town yesterday and got home at 'prime time'. the street was packed with cars (on both sides) and there were kids and parents walking (running) everywhere. our house had been left early in the day, so there were no lights left on( i thought we might be home before dark--) k immediately put a sign on the door, "candy gone", and the yard light remained OFF. thankfully, no one showed up. (yeah, we are that mean).
sorry for the long comment. i just so understand....i guess i should post this as a post. :) happy November 1st! now we get to deal with Christmas decoration up too early, lights on and all that dreaded festive music.
We locked ourselves behind a darkened door and didn't answer the clueless revelers that rang our bell. It was sheer torture. Like we were under siege, hunkered down like embattled troops on the losing side. Glad that's over. (Stupid me. I bought candy anyway, so now I'm faced with it all. It goes to my hips just by looking at it.)
I was just saying this same thing last night about the porch lights. We had the opposite problem though...took my kids around the neighborhood and let them knock on doors with porch lights on and nobody answered.
And when we got home we handed out candy to many kids that were obviously to old and tried to use the "I need some for my brother" line on me. And of course, "Thank You's" were a rarity.
We actually had pretty cute well behaved children come to our house. Most of them had parents in the back ground that were yelling at them to say thank you. I have way to much candy left over. I made myself a little sick by binge eating candy last night. I might have to give it away.
Oh see my kids don't leave the property without saying Thank You period, He KNOWS better.. I live in themiddle of nowhere so we don't get trick or treaters lol
That's crazy insane! We had a ton of candy and hardly any trick or treaters...oh well!
Amanda. This is shocking.
I hope the Halloweenie Karma Gods don't punish Baby Blogworthy for your pissiness last night. Sheesh.
And ME. I send my kids to a dark house because I know it will piss off the little brujas inside that aren't participating.
Happy now? You have me all sorts of worked up at your behavior.
I had the light on and we only got one kid, ONE! So needless to say, I'll be eating butterfingers and twix bars for the next few days.
Oh my. YOu would think lights off would say "do not come here we have no candy" but sounds like it doesnt! We gave out candy, but we sat outside. I would say 95% of this kids said thank you or if they didnt their parents did.
I got home right in the middle of trick-or-treating. We've never closed the garage door so fast as last night...I just knew one of the children on the street would come up and ask us for candy as we were trying to unload our car.
Once we were inside, we went upstairs without turning on any lights, just so it still looked like nobody was home.
We turned our porch light on, had decorations in the yard and 2 jack-o-lanterns lit.
Got 2 kids.
And the worst part? I could hear other people walking down the street but not coming up our driveway. WTH?
Okay, the fact that my pumpkin featured a bottle of wine and 2 glasses (one spilled over) probably didn't help. But c'mon!
So much candy left over.
We took the munchkins out for about an hour but Peanut was bitching about her bag being heavy. I mean seriously who bitches about getting TOO MUCH candy. And then J was bitching about the gloves with his costume and his mask that he was wearing was annoying. I reminded him that he insisted on having the Bloody Masked Scream costume instead of the cute Super Mario costume that I wanted him to wear. So we took a break at my brother's house and then booked it home. Luckily there are only a few blocks between our houses. The best part was the side of the street that we were walking home on had absolutely no lights on for 2 blocks! I thought it was hilarious.
The hubs decided to pass out some candy that we had just to get rid of it. I made him promise to not give any of the kids' away. Sometimes my hubs can be a dick like that.
Also I made my kids say trick or treat and thank you. If they didn't I made them go back up and say it. I am so mean!!
Wow! So yes, the international sign for "we are not giving away candy here so dont even come up here and bother, how rude must you be...maybe i have to be up at 3 am and I am already asleep and don't want to be awoken by bratty children" is to leave your light off. And even if the kids are too young to understand that the parents know and are just being spiteful. Crazy parents...
We live in a gated condo where you need a code to walk in so yah no one bothers us up there. However, we didn't stick around to see if some kids magically got into our condo complex because we went to a party last night. Fun times :)
And OMG kids nowadays have no manner. I sound like an old lady complaining and basically saying "when i was young I use to get spanked if I didnt use my manners" but seriously...times have changed in the short amount of time from when I was young. Seriously...no thank yous???? Hello they are giving you free candy...You cant even say thank you to that. Geez.
we never get any but we always get candy "just in case." i think that was chuck's idea. sneaky.
I have often played the lights out game. I'm grumpy. This year I would say 0% said Happy Halloween or Thank you. And that may or may not include my kids...
We put a bucket out since we took the kids ourselves. I can say that I made my kids, even barely speaking Maddie, say thank you, and quite often Kate - completely on her own - threw in a "have a great night!" as we were walking away.
OMG - what is with kids not waiting for you to get to the door? I had kids running off as I was just getting to the door. Learn some patience, kiddos!
We had a ton of kids. I'd say 50 at least, probably more like 75. I blame the neighbors. They go all out and roast smores and give popcorn and cookies and lemonade. Everyone come to our cul-de-sac. I like it though :) I'd say 75% said thank you, or at least one representative of their family said thank you.
we NEVER get trick-or-treaters, which saddens me because I love Halloween...so we just went out on a date last night instead.
We never get any kids at our house, so we can leave all the lights on we want. I guess that's the good thing about being the neighbourhood "crazy lady".
AHAHAHAHA
We did mmake the mistake of going to the mall on Sunday afternoon. All those munchkins swarming stores for candy really harshed my shopping buzz.
They set trick or treating hours in our neighborhood 2-6 pm. They are not violated. It's very odd.
But it meant no crappily costumed teenagers ringing my bell at 10 at night.
We had our lights on and a bag full of candy ready and not one kid came by...except of course our own who helped herself to a generous portion of the goods.
The rest will go to my butt. Awesome. Just awesome.
New to your blog. Looking forward to more!
Lady and the Tramp is one of my all-time favorites! I love that pumpkin!
You know, last year half the kids that came to our house weren't even dressed up. And, I mean, if i just want to give random kids free candy, then I can just stand outside a convenience store. What the hell? And, no, none of them ever said thanks. Buttholes. So, no, I didn't do it again this year... and I'm totally okay with that.
And also - I can't believe a group of kids walked up to a dark house! That's good parenting there!
Hahahaha... I just read through the comments and see that Surferwife is one of those parents that sends her kids to a house with no lights on!!! What a riot. I can't say that shocks me much... ;)
I'm pretty sure you're right about the light being off...I even turn it on when the pizza guy's coming to make him feel welcome, and I'm paying him money to be there and bring me delicious pizza.
Post a Comment
Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.