Friday, February 26, 2010

The super creepy world of Toddlers and Tiaras

My quest to find  the best reality/trainwreck shows has introduced me to some real doosies.

There's the Real Housewives of Orange County, wherein no part of their bodies are real; What Not to Wear, wherein the snarky hosts pick apart some unsuspecting frumpy Momma and give her a complex; Policewomen of Broward County, wherein the lady cops are badass; 18 19 Kids and Counting, wherein some freakshow parents are raising a cult of creepy kids; and Super Nanny, wherein parents who probably don't have any business raising kids are taught how to raise their kids.

Image via
And then there is Toddlers&Tiaras, part of the lineup on ratings whore juggernaut, TLC, and it's not-quite-as-good counterpart, Little Miss Perfect (found on WE).

So, T&T documents the detail in which these girls go to win cash and prizes, not limited to crowns with ridiculous amounts of , trophies taller than them and puppies. Yes, puppies.

But in the super sub-specialty of this show, there is this particular episode featuring the WV Walk of Fame that was so terrifyingly awesome, I had to take detailed notes so I could write about it, and my words will NOT do it justice; I suggest you all run right to your DVRS and search for the WV Walk of Fame episode of T&T.

I keep wanting to call it the WV Walk of Shame, but that's about 10-12 years too soon for these girls.

Each show follows two or three girls. The one I'd like to talk about is named Jayla. Jayla, how can I say this in the most PC way possible. I can't. Jayla's Dad, Dwayne, I'm 99.9999999% sure this pageant dad is gay, although he's married to Jayla's Mom. But Dad loves him some glitz pageant,  y'all.

Here is a video of Jayla's Dad.

"My husband does her routines. It's just a Dad and Daughter thing, I guess," Jayla's Mom says with all the enthusiasm of a person headed in for a root canal.

Dwayne gets down to this pageant business. First, they make a stop at the dress maker to check on her super-fancy dress. "It looks just like we drawed it [sic] Jayla!" Indeed!

After they get home, Jayla practices with a little help from Dwayne, who is sashaying, sassy walking and pouting right along with Jayla. Then, they bond a little more during the spray tan session with Dwayne's personally owned spray  tanning gun. He says that tanning makes them look leaner and healthier. Because, come on, nobody likes a porky looking 6-year-old child. And what's healthier than the illusion of skin cancer? NOTHING.

"Jayla, YOU'LL BE DARK!!!!" (Sir, please put down the spray gun.)

Later, at the pageant, Dwayne is there to cheer on his little girl, but lest you think he's nothing but a selfless, supportive father, his real motive shines through when he puts the crown she won on his own head and said, "Look, Jayla, I'm wearing your CRROOWWWNNN!!"


Some other gems from this episode:
  • A mom said she spent $3000 on a dress for her daughter. The daughter just likes the sparkles.
  • This pageant has all ages, including tiny babies who came right out of the womb and were dressed in a pink sparkly gown; their hobbies include: being carried and trying to hold their heads up (I presume, because what else do babies do?)
  • Jayla's hobby is  "helping her daddy to make her a fashion diva".
  •  One mom says: "she's not fake when she does this, it's all her." Oh you mean other than the fake hair and teeth and lashes?
  •  The pageant director says:  "The problem with red carpet wear isn't with the child, it's with the mom. You can't just go out to Walmart and buy something. That's not what the judges are looking for." So, something classier then? Like Target?
  • Jayla later is crying her eyes out because she's tired and hungry and Dwayne says that it's been stressful and fun. FUN?
  •  Everyone at this pageant gets a crown and trophy and no money. 
  •  One little girl has a stage name, Tootie. She honest-to-God has a split personality and also talks about Tootie in the 3rd person, like it's someone else. She says: "I get to be perfect. I LOVE to be perfect." and  "Tootie won 10 grand. They're a lot of pretty girls in the world and they can't all win. Unless they are Tootie." Well that's just a mental breakdown waiting to happen after the first bad grade she gets in high school or college.

I swear these little girls are prettier than me. Where's my fake nails and spray tan and hairdresser? Life is so unfair.

35 comments:

Amy said... Reply to comment

I watch that show! It's insane. I think I watch it just for the dropped jaw syndrome.

Jules AF said... Reply to comment

Oh man, that show is SO RIDICULOUS. Also, have you ever seen Dallas Divas and Daughters??? Also ridiculous.

Simply "T" said... Reply to comment

Ahhh, scary! I've watched that show (As well as "Little Miss Perfect") and those parents are nutso!

This poor little girl forgot her dance steps on stage, and her mom was so upset and disappointed that she could only sulk in the corner while the make-up artist prepared her daughter for the next round. I just found myself thinking "What a horrible mom!" The kid is probably disappointed in herself already, she doesn't need to feel like her mom is disappointed or upset with her.

Her mom never pulled herself out of her funk to encourage the kid either. Poor little girl.

There was only ONE sane parent I ever saw on one of these shows too - one dad kept saying he didn't approve of all the makeup and forcing the girls to grow up too fast. He also said that he didn't want his daughter's wins or losses to affect the way she feels about herself. Smart dad.

Daydream Believer said... Reply to comment

I saw this show once. Seriously, I was shaking by the end of it. That's how frightening it was. It was scarier than Paranormal Activity, The Blair Witch project, and Paris Hilton's debut cd COMBINED.

Bethany said... Reply to comment

"I'm wearing your Crown" This is what happens when money and Low IQs collide.

Rebecca Jo said... Reply to comment

The sad thing... I know every episode you're talking about... I sit with my mouth hanging open every time!

That one with Tootie..OMG!!! I wanted to go through & tell her mom to snatch her & her horrible attitude up... She even made a comment & said "cut that out" because she even knew it was so bad... oh goodness... these kids...

itsybitsyknitsy said... Reply to comment

Ok, I don't watch that show because it creeps me out. Children looking like adults - not good.

I did learn a lot about pageants during during the who Ramsey murder case. It's so gross. They get false teeth made for their tiny mouthes, false eyelashes, spend thousands of dollars on dresses they will grow out of in a month.

It's too crazy for me... but I may pvr that show.

See Mom Smile said... Reply to comment

My daughter and her tiara are highly offended. Just kidding.

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

Isn't this a form a child abuse? I've never watched this show because the idea of it is more disturbing to me than the other TLC shows...like hoarders, intervention or little people big world. Just kidding - I love little people big world.

gv said... Reply to comment

I wonder if the girl at my dr's office was on this show and look how she turned out...CRAZY!!!

SS said... Reply to comment

Ha..I caught a clip of that dad and my conclusion was the same as yours. *ya think?*

Do you watch the current season of Real Housewives OC? If only I can someday find a husband that will take the time in the middle of my birthday celebration to tell me how fortunate I am that he has had the patience to not have left me yet. Not only that, could I be so lucky for him to have great friends to give him these thoughts and the presence of mind to relay this information to me. *swoon*

Chicken said... Reply to comment

Oh you just tugged on my heart strings. I love trash t.v.! How have I missed this show?! I want Jayla's dad for my personal stylist. I mean every girl needs one of those types of freinds in their corner...was that non-PC?

MariahSmile said... Reply to comment

Those flippers they wear are crazy cause its not all right for a kid to be missing 2 front teeth! Really?!

Emma said... Reply to comment

I can't watch that show, it's too creepy even for me. I firmly believe that somehow this kind of thing is a form of sexual abuse and I just feel icky watching it.

That said, I also avoid the show because I find my creepy, ickly-feeling self glued to the screen in an "Are you serious?" kind of way.

It sure is a sparkly train wreck.

Daisygirl said... Reply to comment

It's a horrible show and I just want to ring some of their necks..haha! I think the 3000 dress one was the one where they couldn't even afford their mortgage or something???
Anyway this post was a crack up, Toddler and Tiaras is really the only reality show I can't sit through. I secretly love Say yes to the dress because I can't believe how much some of those wedding dresses cost!

By the way I left ya an award on my blog! ~Jen~

Sarah Beth said... Reply to comment

I haven't watched this show, but I have seen the commercials, and I was a little bit horrified. I thought TLC had a little more class. You know, aside from the whole John and Kate debacle.

However, I do have to defend my Stacy and Clinton. I LOVE What Not to Wear! Yes, they can be a little harsh at the beginning, but they're not really MEAN, and by the end of the show, the women are always really grateful and have a renewed self-confidence. I think they really help them!

Amanda Wissmann said... Reply to comment

NOT OK. My mom is obsessed with that show and it makes me want to throw up! Poor babies!

The other ones though...you know, the ones where most of the people are adults and KNOW what they are getting themselves into, I have to admit these are a guilty pleasure...in a really messed up way.

By the way, Hi name twin! Found your site through a friend (Bloggin in PA) so I thought I would say hello!!

Happy Friday!

Rachel said... Reply to comment

That show is just over the top! When my husband was out of town I watched it for hours with my mouth hanging open at the crazyness. I cannot believe they make those little girls get spray tans, fake nails etc. The best part? When they interview the little girls and they say "I won queen title, but I dont know what that means!" they are forced into doing all this stuff & they dont even know what the awards are for! Rediculous.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said... Reply to comment

I've seen that episode and I've seen this show before. It's crazy and when I say crazy, I mean it has it's whole own category of crazy. I mean who puts "flippers" fake teeth on their kids and sprays them down. CRAZY people!

notquiteawake said... Reply to comment

Every time I read one of your posts I think you can't get more hilarious and every time you prove me wrong. Ratings. Whore. Juggernaut.
Awesome.

Tracie said... Reply to comment

I watch that show just to feel better about my parenting skills.

Have a great weekend!

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said... Reply to comment

That show makes me really sad. They're little girls and they look like WOMEN. That is just so wrong.

Lemonade Makin' Mama said... Reply to comment

Just stopping by to thank you for visiting me on my SITS day and leaving me some blog love! Everyone was so sweet and I really enjoyed the day!

Blessings,
LMM

JMJE said... Reply to comment

I have heard of this show a lot recently but I've never actually seen it. It sounds mildly horrific but kind of something I really want to check out. PS-I gave you a blog award over at my blog.

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

Oh, my yes. I too have watched this show with terrified fascination. When I'm finished, I feel the same kind of guilt I would normally associate with hoovering a tub of ice cream. Nauseous, headache-y and so full that I promise I won't ever do it again.

Till next time.

Coryanne Ettiene | Kitchen Living with Coryanne said... Reply to comment

this syndrome has just started to appear in England, however I don't think it will take off like it has in the US. Popping over from the LB tea party social. Enjoyed the read, will be back for more.

Alissa Grosso said... Reply to comment

That sounds very disturbing, also sounds like something fun to watch when I'm in a snarky mood.

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

Professionally and personally...this show just makes me ill!

Brooke said... Reply to comment

Ha! That show is one of my guilty pleasures, I have to admit. Along with 16 and Pregnant/Teen Mom. They're all so freaking ridiculous. Every now and then there's a parent/child pair who truly see it as a fun activity to do together, but they're few and far between.

You obviously missed the girl who had her own doll.

Cope said... Reply to comment

And, their parents probably tell them that one day when they grow up that they'll be able to get all kinds of cool "scholarships." haha.

I am Harriet said... Reply to comment

It's crazy. You wonder where mom went wrong.

Stopping by via SITS to say hello.
Enjoy your week.

Harriet

Ginger@cottageonrosewood said... Reply to comment

I've seen commercials. I watched the Dwayne video. I cannot bring myself to watch this mess because I refuse to give it ratings. What is wrong with this world???? Nuts. Loved your post though. Visiting from SITS. Love your blog.

Carol said... Reply to comment

That's why I have children, "they are an investment." Dang, I knew I was doing something wrong when I bought real estate I should have been putting my kids in beauty pagents.... I can't believe I don't own a spray on tan gun. What the crap is wrong with me.

Jennifer Vanderbeek said... Reply to comment

Love me some train-wreck TV! Well, certain types at least.

Dwayne is not the only Daddy in Denial I've seen on that show, whew! But, hey, do what makes you happy right?

My favorite T&T win was the little girl who won $500 and she asked Mom if she could buy a cow. Priceless!

(It should be mentioned that my "aunt"--who's 5 months younger than me--was one of these little pageant darlings back in the day.)

Don't want RHOC, but do watch NY & Atl--ATL is totally trashy, hands down the worst I've ever seen!

Stopping by from SITS.

Cheryl said... Reply to comment

I'm not going to admit to how many of the shows you listed I watch or have watched at some point in my life... but I will admit that I am absolutely *terrified* to watch T&T. Those little girls creep. me. out.

Post a Comment

Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.

Related Posts with Thumbnails