Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Some Florida winter truths for you guys who think I'm a wuss

I'm writing this from my couch, where every square inch of my body is covered with some type of fleece, topped with a thick blanket.

It's pretty much Armageddon here, people. We've only had two days above 70 degrees since December. I can't tell you how many days we've had below freezing because my brain is frozen. FROZEN SOLID.

I was looking back on some old blogs and found this one where I was complaining incessantly about how hot it was back in October, so I will take the blame for this one. I should have learned my lesson my first winter here when I posted a really snotty message about wearing flip flops in January and it proceeded to drop into the low 50s for, like, a week.

And I thought THAT was bad.

Listen, I know. You guys and your 40 inches of snow or whatever. I've been reading your blogs, I know all about how stir crazy you're getting and how you haven't seen the ground for weeks. And trust me, I feel very sad for all of you. It's no fun living in Northern states where you're at the Mother Nature's mercy for 4 months out of the year. My deepest sympathies to you.

That's why I moved to Florida.

I can hear it now. "Poor little Floridian," you will say. "Why don't you go cry a river of tears into your lightweight jacket because the brilliant Florida sun will just dry them in 2.2 seconds?"

However, (and please, Southern readers, back me up on this), I've learned two things about surviving winters in the South.

First, 40 degrees in Florida feels way colder than 40 degrees up north. My father-in-law used to make fun of us for talking about throwing on a sweatshirt if it gets a little cool until he came down to visit during our first cold snap of the season around Christmas. It was such sweet justification when he said to me, "You know...I don't know what it is, but it feels much colder what I'm reading on the thermometer." TOLD YOU SO.

I have no clue why this happens, but I know it's not just me. My coworker said it was the higher humidity that makes it feel cold, but we're in marketing, not meteorology, so it's pretty much a shot in the dark.

Second truth about Florida winters -- well, more specifically, about Floridians: our blood has thinned out considerably. I mean it really has to happen and if you've visited Florida in, say, August, you'll know why. It's a survival mechanism. You can't have the blood of a Northerner churning through your veins when it's 95 degrees and 98% humidity or you'll die. Um, it's basically biology, you guys. But the downside is when we have freakishly cold winters, we pretty much freeze to death.

Oh also? I have a closet full of warm weather clothes that I can't even think about wearing and about 7 sweaters I've been wearing on repeat for over a month. Maybe that explains why I'm eating every fattening food that crosses my path -- I'm adding some winter blubber, much like a walrus.

That reminds me, did you know that there were a bunch of manatees that were in danger of freezing to death, too (just like me), because the water in South Florida was too cold? And some of them did? Sad face for the manatees (do NOT click on that link unless you want to cry.)

Here is me two years ago: "Oh, how precious, they have a Winter Weather Advisory crawl on TV."
Here is me today: "OMG it's going to frost tonight! Quick, get the extra sheets so we can cover our plants!"

Anyway, I hope, on behalf of all the weather-weary bloggers, that it warms the heck up and SOON.

25 comments:

Salt said... Reply to comment

Oh great so it's cold and gross EVERYWHERE now. I remember when I lived in SoCal (well I would hope I would remember this because it was only 2 years ago) and when it would get in to the low 60's or whatever, I would be FUH-REEEEZING. I turned into such a winter wuss. My first winter back (last year) wasn't so cold, but this year has been madness. Maybe I will just stay in Turks & Caicos forever after the wedding and telecommute.

tootie said... Reply to comment

It's almost hard for me to remember living in the cold of the North (even though I lived there for 18 years!)

I'm most definitley a wuss now when it comes to cold weather :)

Rachel said... Reply to comment

Im from FL and I totally know what you mean! It DOES feel colder even at the same temp. than it does in the North. I think it has to do with expectations. You dont EXPECT it to be cold so you dont layer up as much. Every day now I expect it to be cold and I have made full usage of every winter accessory that I own. In Florida, I never wore a scarf, hat or mittons, even when it was in the 30s. So thats what I think. And the blood thinning thing? True fact.

Unknown said... Reply to comment

First I'd like to say that I love love love your blog, more often than not you bring a nice sense of humor into my internet reading habits.

I, myself, used to live in Florida (panhandle area) and can attest that you are correct. It does get cold there, not only does it get cold but it feels colder than in the northern states (having originally moved from Kansas).

I now live in Arizona and though I live in the desert now, many don't believe when I say the nights get cold here as well... it's very similar to Florida, even freezing temperatures at times, although rare.

Keep up the humorous blogs. I hope it gets warm for you soon.

Cathy said... Reply to comment

Dude! I took a pic of my car thermometer yesterday because it WARMED up to 34 degrees and it was the best feeling ever! Today the sun was out again and it was like 33, so I took my car through the carwash! The water can't freeze my door shut if the temp is above freezing right! However, we still have like 4 feet of snow and I haven't seen grass since November.

Hutch said... Reply to comment

I won't comment on the 70 degrees we're having. (Hate me it's ok I used to do the same when I lived back east). I will say, however, that there's is a HUGE difference between the cold here vs. the North East. We have a wet cold and I'm freezing when it's under 50, but survived Syracuse's record setting winters!

Cheryl said... Reply to comment

Hi, Amanda! I found you through The Lady Bloggers Society. I totally hear you! I lived in FL for over 20 years before moving to the arctic tundra of PA. While I rarely complain about 40-degree weather these days, I completely agree that the temperature should not dip that low in FL. That's why we all moved to FL in the first place, right?

Chicken said... Reply to comment

I understand how southern cold is much worse! I was just telling my hubby that Texas cold is much worse than Oregon cold. Although when it gets into the 20's I am ready to fight an eskimo fist to fist for a freaking coat!

Jackie said... Reply to comment

this is such a weird winter weather-wise everywhere! (say that 5 times fast!) Hope it warms up for everyone everywhere and SOON. I'm hoping to actually see the pavement on my street within a couple of months. ;)

Sarah said... Reply to comment

You are so good at giving me information that keeps me awake at night/makes me cry for two weeks straight.
First, the Spohrs! I don't know whether to thank you or hit you for that one.
Now the damnhellass manatees.
I'm going to need to up the antidepressants.

just call me jo said... Reply to comment

What happened to ol' Al Gore's global warming? Stupid man...
I live in Arizona now after living in Idaho all my life. I know what you mean about 40 degrees being colder here than it is up north. When I was in ID I was thrilled with 40 in Feb. and if we have 40 here, I'm freezing.
It's OK to complain about the cold. What the heck would you expect in the Sunshine State? I hope it warms up soon. Poor manatees. (I couldn't watch.)
I have a friend in the Air Force who just got stationed to some where on the coast in Florida after being in Alaska for four years. I'm sure he's saying WTF?

Jessie said... Reply to comment

it' all about the layers, friend! :)

jessalyn said... Reply to comment

i actually do feel bad for you guys that are used to the warm weather and are getting frozen. i live in new england. i expect cold winters. but fl does not. so why is mother nature being such a bitch?
i highly enjoy that you compared yourself to a walrus.
also, i refuse to click that link. i can't even watch the sara mclachlan aspca commercials without crying.
i hope it warms up for you soon so you don't have to turn into a walrus.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said... Reply to comment

And you thought moving out of WV would get you away from the snow! Let's just say I'm very jealous of your 34 degrees. It's snowed here everyday since Monday. BLAH!

So I really need to email you so I can give you the 411 on moving!

gv said... Reply to comment

Girl I was just down there in December and you're right...it's FREEZING!!! Poor manatees...hope it wasn't the ones we saw!

Miranda Tucci said... Reply to comment

I hear ya girl! I've got my heater cranked UP all day in my office.. we're wearing socks 24/7 and looking for every fleece blanket we can find around the house. What's up with this weather Florida!?

JMJE said... Reply to comment

I totally believe you about it feeling colder in FL at the same temp. I live in NC so it's not super cold except for this year. It's been crazy getting snow that doesn't melt on the same day that it falls.

Uptown Girl said... Reply to comment

I live in NYC, so at first I admit I was a little smug about this post. But, I actually feel a little better after reading this! I mean, there is no reason for me to be jealous of your weather right now or upset that I can't go vacay down south... so I thank you for lifting my snowy spirits :)

Emma said... Reply to comment

Having recently moved South (From NJ to NOLA), I'm actually kind of enjoying this. I mean, everyone made fun of me as I sat motionless on the couch complaining all summer about the heat. It's my turn to laugh when someone comes to me for advice on how to defrost their windshield. Especially knowing that they'll all be making fun of me again soon.

notquiteawake said... Reply to comment

I'm from a sad sad place that gets down to -50 C in the winter and that is a big reason why I moved. However, where I moved isn't that warm either BUT if I moved to Florida I would expect it to be hot all the time and if it wasn't I'd be super pissed. So you can totally complain all you want. I give you permission. I'm guessing it would sort of be like if you went to a really fancy restaurant and ordered a steak and they gave you a McDonald's hamburger.

Or something.

Tracie said... Reply to comment

I think you're right about Floridian's blood thinning. My parents freeze to death when they visit me in KY. They are trying to move here from FL and I don't know how they are going to stand it.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said... Reply to comment

I feel ya fellow Floridian! All the freezes dominated our landscaping.

Dalia (Generation X Mom) said... Reply to comment

Just got back from a vacation in Florida. I was so looking forward to warm weather and it was freezing! I kept telling myself though that it is warmer than where I live and I am on vacation! Of course the day we left it was 77 and sunny!

www.MomReviewTB.com said... Reply to comment

Hi! Stopping by from SITS. I'm a native Floridian and let me tell you I freeze in the grocery store! I need to throw on a sweatshirt just to get something from the freezer case :)

Jennifer Vanderbeek said... Reply to comment

Stopping by from SITS...

YES! It's cold in Florida! (Tally resident, here) And I can relate to the Northern admissions, as well. My boyfriend is from Nebraska and, even though he lived in Louisiana for 10 years before moving here, even HE considers this winter cold (he of the "cold is relative" statement in the fall--Hah!)

Post a Comment

Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.

Related Posts with Thumbnails