Consider this a part two of my epic journey into motherhood. Here is part one.
Right after Luke was born, they whisked him away for some tests in the nursery and Hub went with them. I had them leave the picture they took right after his birth so I could just stare at it. I was a little shocked that he was actually there, live and in person, and mine (all mine). I kept looking at the picture and picking out features I didn't see. It was a picture of a tiny little stranger that I sort of knew because, well, he was my tenant for 9 months. This picture was so different than the grainy black and white of our ultrasounds.
As I mentioned in the first post, I hadn't eaten in close to 24 hours and you know what they gave me? The crappiest breakfast known to man: ONE biscuit, two slices of bacon, a tiny bowl of fruit and a bowl of grits. Come on now. I just pushed out an almost 9 lb baby and you're going to feed me grits? I'm offended professional and personally.
They moved me to my room for the next 24 hours, and I was running on pure adrenaline. I couldn't sleep if I wanted to. The room was in the fancy new wing of our hospital and super nice (as nice as a hospital could be). My sister and in-laws came by to visit and stayed for a little while and around 4 I finally got an hour nap with him on my chest -- which felt like I slept hours. It was heavenly.
The downside to the new side of the hospital is that there is no nursery, so I woke up at every little sound he made. I would change him and then try to feed him and then pray he went to sleep for a few minutes. He hated being in the dark, so we slept with the lights on. Meanwhile, my body felt like I had been hit by a train. It wasn't the funnest of nights.
The next day the feeding problems continued. I wanted to breastfeed. I took the classes. I thought, "this will be a piece of cake". It wasn't at all. He wouldn't latch -- just refused -- and then cried bloody baby murder because he was so darn hungry. I talked to every nurse on the unit and then to the lactation consultant. They all gave me advice and none of it was that good. I'll write more on this whole journey later, because I know you all love to read about my boobs.
We left the hospital about 24 hours after he was born. I hadn't showered and because I didn't realize I would be staying for the long haul, had forgotten my toothbrush, so I was ready to get back. As they wheeled me out and we fastened him in the car, I was thinking, "what now? What am i supposed to do with this child?"
The first night was brutal. He hated being in the dark, still. He hated the pack n play we set up for him to sleep in. He was grumpy. He still wouldn't eat. I still hadn't slept much AND I was recovering from delivery. It was by the grace of God I got through that first 24 hours at home.
The following days weren't much better. We saw a lactation consultant a few days after we left the hospital and she informed me that our baby wasn't sucking right, that he had a suck more like a baby who was pre-term, and that he'd lost more weight since his delivery than she was comfortable.
And after that appointment, the inevitable crash happened. My girlfriends at work had warned me that my emotions would catch up with me and I'd have a breakdown, but that it gets better after that. Seventy-two hours after my child was born, I lost my mind.
I cried over everything; the biggest, saltiest, fattest tears you'd ever see. I should have gotten an award for the amount of liquid that came out of my eyes.
I cried because he cried, I cried because he was asleep. I cried because he spit-up and I cried because he was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen.
I screamed at Hub and told him he was unprepared for me after pregnancy.
I snapped at my in-laws.
I told Hub that we had a terrible child.
And in the dark of night, when no one else was awake but me and the baby, I thought to myself, "Where is the warranty on this child?"
And it made me cry that I thought that.
But just as it got bad, it got good again. I mean, it's not good all the time, I'm not going to lie. I hate that I don't get to sleep much. I hate the feeling I get when he cries. I hate feeling helpless, like nothing I can do will make him happy.
However, I love looking at his face. I love when he makes eye contact with me. I love his tiny fingers and toes, the way his little baby butt fits into my hand, the curve of his tiny little spine, his sweet pouty lips. I love nursing him. I love the special connection I have with him because I'm his mother.
He's been in our lives over a month and it gets easier every day. Thank God for my Twitter friends and Mommy friends at work, or I'm not sure I would have made it.
He's changing daily and I can't wait to see what the next month has in store.
27 comments:
Hey girly!
I just wanted you to know I gave you an award over at my blog :-)
http://hanginloosewiththetuccis.blogspot.com/
i remember my meltdown. i had one after all three kiddos....but at least by the 3rd one, i was expecting it. and that is a rockin' monthsie! love the tie ;)
Hi Sweet Girl,
I just want to write and tell you that you are an incredible Momma. I am sure you have all kinds of support telling you this already but, everything you are feeling is totally normal. It sucks but, it's normal. My first 24 hours were incredibly similar. At one point I remember crying because I just wanted to take him to the fire station. (We have a law here that anyone can take a newborn to a fire station and abandon them without being charged. Sort of a "don't shake the baby, bring 'em here" bit). Everyone tries to prepare you for how hard it will be...but there is no way to prepare. You are amazing and doing the best you can and obviously starting to bond with your little guy. I remember those feelings, the mixture of those feelings, oh so well.
Every day you will feel stronger. Some days you will feel like you can't do it anymore. Some days you won't get a shower or get your teeth brushed. Some days you'll feel awesome. Take it minute by minute and take care of yourself. He's beautiful, by the way.
Hugs,
Tina
It gets better and better.
I'm always around if you want to chat.
Those are such good pics. Very handsome. I think my friend with a two month old had some hard times with feeding at the beginning too.
Motherhood isn't for the weak. He's so cute. I just want to snuggle him. Some babies are just easier than others. My daughter's twins were tough little bruisers but her new boy is a dream, so happy and pleasant. Don't follow Tom Cruise's lead--if you need help, get it. Good second month.
Don't the first few days just SUCK THE LIFE RIGHT OUT OF YOU? I was miserable. I kept asking myself "why in the HELL did we decide to have a baby?" And then I'd feel guilty about thinking that so I'd cry. And then I would think about how much I loved him and cry some more. And then I would spill a little dribble of milk out of the bottle and cry a little more because "omg I just ruined our ottoman." Next time, I'm hiring me some help and hibernating for the first couple of weeks! :)
Awwww . . . he's so cute! I'm glad it's starting to get better for you. I also had some very dark Mommy days in the beginning. In fact adoption once crossed my mind. You are certainly not alone.
More mommies need to be able to own up to the emotions they feel like you have. There's a lot of mommies out there that suffer in silence.
I've got 3 kids of my own and am the office manager of a pediatric medical clinic, so believe me I've been in your shoes and have had many new mommies break down in my office.
Thank you for being real about your emotions and struggles of mommyhood. You're doing great, and he's absolutely adorable!
~Abbi @ Musings of Motherhood
Seriously, GRITS?!? What the hell?
I have heard that breastfeeding is the hardest thing ever and I'm deathly afraid of it, but I'm still gonna try. I guess he finally got the hang of it though?
It sounds like the very worst of it is behind you and that you're starting to acclimate. I'll be looking for some serious advice (or maybe just an ear for venting) when April comes around......
Here's to a great new year, mama!
Seriously? He is so cute! Congratulations and I am glad things are getting better!
I'm so glad to hear it's getting better! That last pic is just too much cuteness, how do you not explode looking at that face every day?
Can't wait to read more about your boobs.
He's super cute. And it does get better. I was never that great with the newborn phase of my kids life. But now that they are older and walking and I can see what they learn each day...it is awesome.
And also...don't feel bad for the way you feel. It's normal. At least I hope so...because if it's not than I'm not normal... ;)
I had several meltdowns after Peanut's birth!
I couldn't breastfeed at all my lactation consultant was a joke. She actually yelled at me because the baby wouldn't latch. I know the worst possible thing ever. So there I was boob hanging out while I was crying. Peanut crying and my poor mom just sitting there helpless trying to figure out how to help me.
I am so glad that you were able to do it though. I never was and there were issues with Peanut also so she had to take a bottle and special formula.
And seriously, Luke is so freaking cute!! Cherish every moment sweetie!
Saw this after KLZ retweeted it - so excited for you!!! Yes, it is a HUGE adjustment. Someone once told me that the days seem to drag on forever and the months fly by. So true. There is nothing that compares to (or prepares you for) mommyhood. It's the best/worst/craziest thing there is. Congrats on embarking on this adventure! (And blog all the details because you will totally forget.)
Congrats!! He is so cute! We all have meltdowns. It is totally normal and quite frankly, I'd be worried if you didn't have them! :) It gets better and it goes by so quick, believe it or not. Hang in there!
I have to say... he's adorable. And almost every one of my friends has said the same thing re: warranty (or can I bring him/her back yet?) when they are at home the first few days.
Hey you're better than I am... I told my brother I wouldn't babysit his kid (again) until I was guaranteed he wouldn't cry for me for 3 straight hours.
That's the only context I know of how you are feeling. :) Can't wait to hear more - fun - stories!
Man, if they told you all that before your first baby you'd think they were nuts right?
But it's so normal and so true!
The what do I do with a baby feeling on the way home? Terrifying. From 6 weeks on it gets better and better by spades.
And tell foxy to come to us if you think we were any help wih the bring and not just a pain...
Love you, love luke.
Ps you look hot
OH MY GOD, I JUST WANT TO EAT HIS LITTLE FACE OFF.
Welcome to motherhood, love. Looks like you are doing it better than I did first time around. I can tell you know it gets better and easier. I truly didn't think it would.
So, you win. Mostly because he is so cute though. So, you win from his cutness.
I've been in those dark newborn days and it's not a fun place to be. I wish I'd had a blog back then because I think it would have helped me feel better about feeling so bad. (If that makes any sense.)
PS You know that God makes babies super cute so we don't try to send them back, right? Because, honestly, they are a whole lot of work but it gets better and easier, I promise.
PPS He is super cute and I love all the pictures you post on FB. Even if they make my ovaries hurt.
Glad to hear it is getting better! Hang in there! That cutie is totally worth it :)
Just gave you a blog award on my page, much like Miranda's ;-) Go check it out: http://mariahsmile.blogspot.com/2011/01/i-didnt-know-i-was-stylish.html
Happy 1 month, Lukemeister!
Oh my gosh! Has it already been a month?! Time is flying! I think you're doing an awesome job. If I ever have a kid, I'm coming to you for advice because I know you won't sugar coat it!
He is so precious! I can't get over how adorable he is.
Oh and thanks for making me cry while reading this. I can't wait for my baby to be here, and I can hate all of the same things that you do. :)
That was a beautiful, honest, heartwarming post. I'm not a mom, and I'm not sure I ever want to be, but I love reading well-written, truthful Mommy posts (and I also love reading your posts in general) so I'm very much looking forward to reading more. I think you're going to be a great mom!
Also? Holy adorable. Holy holy adorable. He is such a giant sweetheart.
what a cute little guy he is!! Thanks to the power of the internet, you are not alone in all of your feelings.
Post a Comment
Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.