Sunday, December 19, 2010

My last 4 days of pregnancy

Well.

Hi.

It's been awhile.

I felt a huge amount of guilt for not posting for, like, three weeks. I have a super good excuse. But instead of dwelling on how strange it felt to push the new post button on blogger (much less how it took me this long to even log into my account), I'm going to distract you with a cute baby picture.


Right? RIGHT? Do you forgive me now?

So here goes my epic, non-gory birth story. If you aren't interested, please stop back by later this week (and by later this week, I mean whenever I get around to it) when I discuss all the ridiculous television I've watched while rocking a baby.

It all starts with Thanksgiving Day, my due date. I got my turkey, so thank you, Luke, for listening to me. Wasn't that turkey delicious? It so was. We had stuffing, cranberries, the whole 9 yards. It was fantastic. I got a nap and everything.

But then my pregnancy began wearing out it's company. My in-laws, sister and brother-in-law were all visiting, just waiting for this little man to pop out. All eyes were on my belly. The sun set on Thanksgiving and we started the longest weekend in the history of the world.

Friday and Saturday consisted of us getting into each others way, me propping my feet up and being grumpy, walking, looking up ways to induce labor online, rolling around on my balance ball for about 10 hours total, eating and watching sports. Also: my mother-in-law suggesting things such as not drinking water and telling me how awful I looked. It was terrible.

Sunday morning my brother-in-law had to drive back to Cincinnati. Later that afternoon we all decided to go out and do some shopping because I was going stir crazy. Sis and I stopped at Walmart and on a whim I took my blood pressure, which was really high. I decided not to say anything until we got home because it was probably due to a trip to WALMART, or the fact that 5 of us were out shopping during the busiest shopping time of the year OR the fact that I was 40 weeks and 3 days pregnant. Any of the above.

On the way home we stopped by CVS for another blood pressure check, because we're classy like that. It was still very high, so we called labor and delivery to get their advice. They told me to come in and have it monitored. Although we already had my bag packed and loaded in the car, we left the house thinking we'd be back. I even told the crew that I'd be home with Chinese for dinner.

I want to stop here and mention we'd eaten a late brunch, but I hadn't eaten since then. It was 5.

So in L&D, they stuck me in a triage room and strapped a cuff to my arm like the other 3 times I'd been there -- but this time asked me to put on a gown "just in case". Still didn't occur to me that this might be "it". They monitored me for two hours and my BP still didn't go down. The nurse said, "I'm no fortune teller, but these numbers ain't pretty. You'll probably be staying tonight."

A few minutes later, the tiniest doctor on the planet stopped by to check me. She patted my leg reassuringly and said "What do you say we get this baby out of you tonight?"

With a combination of shock, excitement and a little fear, I agreed.

They started the pitocin drip an hour or so later. I was already dilated to almost 5, but my water hadn't broken yet. Over the next two hours, our crabby night nurse kept increasing the pitocin drip and asking me to rate my pain from 1 to 10. It was a 2 or 3 and I wasn't lying but she thought I was.

My in laws and sister came in around 11 to visit one last time before the baby got here and to wish me luck. My sister was a ball of excitement, but my mother-in-law couldn't stop telling me how bad I looked and how my feet were purple. I asked her if maybe they weren't so much purple as they were dirty because I'd been walking around in black flip flops with no shower and hey...it happens. But no, they were purple, she said.

I guess the kind of purple that rubs off on the sheets? Right.

Anyway, back to this night nurse. I know we all have days where we truly hate going to work and that night was her night to hate her job, I think. She was no-nonsense and very crabby at the beginning of her shift. I guess I just expected a nurse that was a little more caring and patient to a woman about to pop a child out.

At 3 or so they broke my water and that's when the contractions got really bad. I was prepared to go as long as I could without an epidural, but because my blood pressure was so elevated I had to stay in bed (so there went all the exercises   I practiced in our childbirth ed class). About an hour or so later, my nurse said, "Listen: you don't get an bravery award or trophy for not getting an epidural. If you need it, get it." And then after the doctor told me if I wanted one I should get it sooner rather than later because if someone came in who "trumped" me (like a c-section), then relief might be delayed when I really needed it.

That made up my mind and the nice anethesiologist came to my rescue.

The epidural was bull crap, though. I swear that it worked for maybe an hour before I started feeling the contractions very strongly. They had to give me an oxygen mask at one point because the baby's heart rate was either too steady or not steady enough, and It was all I could do to get through each contraction. I asked for an increase in the epidural medicine and the anesthesiologist took his SWEET time getting there. By the time he uped the dosage, I was starting to feel the urge to push. And when that time comes, do you know what they do? TURN OFF THE EPIDURAL. I'll all, WTH? Is that something at my hospital, or just normal procedure?

It was about 6:45 when I started feeling like pushing, and by 7:15 the doctor was getting ready to go. Hubby said to the staff, "Well, we know his birthday will be November 29, now just need to find out the time. Probably sometime before 8, right?" The doctor laughed smugly and said, "That's optimistic. Most first time moms push for at least an hour or two."

I pushed Luke out at 7:46 am.

I'd like to thank my extreme hunger for speeding things up. Someone in the room told me the faster I pushed him out, the faster I'd get some breakfast. Challenge? Accepted.

He weighed in at 8 lbs 11 oz and 20.5 inches long. He was (and is) a beautiful baby.

And grumpy nurse? Turned out to be fantastic. Her shift ended at 7, but she said she didn't stay all night just to miss this baby's birth. 

All in all, I really had a wonderful pregnancy and a pretty low-key labor and delivery. Sure, I would have rather done it without the pitocin and would have liked to have the "honey, it's time" moment at home, but it is what it is and as I said all along, God had a perfect plan for this baby's birth. My "birth plan" was to have no birth plan -- but to let it happen as it happened and stay cool and calm. Yeah, there were times when it sucked. A LOT. Like the contractions that even the epidural couldn't tame, or the fact that pushing felt like I had the biggest poop EVER, or the fact that I was so nervous during the actual epidural insertion that I shook uncontrollably WHILE having contractions, but the truth is I'd do it again and again for such a sweet, beautiful wonderful blessing.

Little did I know, the labor was a cakewalk compared to the first few days home...

That's a story for another day.

And to close out this birth story, here is the first picture Hubby took of me and my baby boy, which I refer fondly as my "teen mom" pose because I look like I'm 16 freaking years old:

Pregnancy was really good to my skin and nails.

27 comments:

Sarah Mac said... Reply to comment

Your mother-in-law also told me from the time we saw you at 11 that night and every hour thereafter until I left that she was "sure" you would have to have a c-section....and that you were in labor and just didn't know it...and how RED your face was. Fun times!

Jackie said... Reply to comment

thanks for sharing the story! so glad everything went (pretty) smoothly. I can't believe they turned off the epidural when it was time to push! how rude. but what a rockstar you are - 30 minutes of pushing - awesome! And he is just precious. :)

Liz said... Reply to comment

First, official Congratulations again. Second, isn't all that birth plan stuff much ado about nothing?! It's so good that you were going with the flow because so much of what you read about and learn about in the child birth class talks about your options and how to form a plan, but how it all plays out is something you have NO control over. I feel like too many moms are getting set up for disappointment with all that planning stuff. Again, it's so great that you didn't overthink it.

Lastly, I had fab nails during my pregnancies, to!

KLZ said... Reply to comment

They did not turn off my epidural but they rationed it. Slightly less evil.

Luke may totally be my favorite baby born all year. I'm 99.9% sure of it. There are a few days left this year after all

MariahSmile said... Reply to comment

OMG The first thing I thought of when you said "the tiniest doctor on the planet stopped by to check me" was "did she have Jen from TLC's The Little Couple as a doctor!?!?!"! So did you? I know she lives in FL now! haha That would be a fantastic story in it's self!

I love looking at all the picture of baby Luke you post on FB! He's soooo cute!

Stephanie in Suburbia said... Reply to comment

Hi, Momma! Congratulations! I loved your "my birth plan was to have no birth plan." That's the BEST way to go in. All I said was "I don't want a c-section." Cut to Stephanie getting cut open. So it goes. In the end, you're always just glad to have a happy and healthy baby. The fact that yours is just freaking ADORABLE is a bonus!

poet said... Reply to comment

welcome to the world little master blogworthy. and glad all is well take special care *gentle hugs*

Daisygirl said... Reply to comment

Congratulations on your adorable little man!

JMJE said... Reply to comment

Congratualtions again. I love your teen mom pic. I'm glad things went relatively well for you. I don't know if I could make it through all that.

JessMel said... Reply to comment

First things first, Congrats on that handsome little boy!!

I'm so sorry your drugs didn't work. Mine worked so well I went to sleep until it was time to push. Yes, they took my drugs away when it was time to push because I couldn't feel a thing and I wish I never felt any of it...really it wasn't too bad so I must've had some drugs still. I'm with you on the no birth plan because a birth is never what you think it will be.

Welcome to motherhood and enjoy every second!!

The Only Girl said... Reply to comment

Congrats Amanda! He's gorgeous. Great job!

itsybitsyknitsy said... Reply to comment

Congrats little lady! Such a cutie pie!!!

Cathy said... Reply to comment

Yay for Luke! I'm so glad everything went well. And you do look very young in that last picture. Your MIL can cram it, you look wonderful.

The Random Blogette said... Reply to comment

You just have to love mother-in-laws. I have some lovely stories about mine too. Luke is so adorable...like I haven't told you a hundred times on facebook..I just had to tell you again. I am so glad that everything went so well. I have to say that the last picture is so awesome. I had fantastic hair and nails during the second half of my pregnancy. Oh how I miss my hair from my pregnancy! It has never been the same. I can't wait to hear more stories!!

Hutch said... Reply to comment

All these birth stories just confirm I am sooo not ready! But I'm glad you were because that little man is one of the most adorable babies in all the world!

foxy said... Reply to comment

WOW - what a STORY! I have heard that they turn the epidural off at the time of pushing, so that you can actually feel enough to be able to push... so I don't think that was just you.

No matter how that child got here, the fact is HE MADE IT SAFELY (yay)! And you made it safely through too (double yay)!! You can prepare and plan for childbirth all you want, but it takes whatever route it wants when it actually comes. I'm definitely a planner myself and have a BIG plan for how I want mine to go, but ultimately, as long as we both make it through safely, I'll be fine with whatever happens. It will all be 100 times worth it.

You are a rockstar and you have a beautiful boy to prove it.

SmartBear said... Reply to comment

YAY Amanda! I have been waiting to hear from you! He's a little gorgeous dude and I am so excited for you. Now I am worried about how things are going at home? Those first 48 hours at home were the worst EVER. I think my Hubby has PTSD from the whole thing. Like, seeing my uterus cut out of my body and my stomach sliced open was NOTHING compared to the first few days at home.
Hope all is well and you are feeling good?
Best,
Tina

Cheryl said... Reply to comment

Luke is absolutely beautiful. Mazel tov!

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

Congrats!!! He's so precious!

PS They turned the epidural off at push time with my oldest, too. Didn't really matter as it didn't fully "take" in the first place.

Darcy said... Reply to comment

congrats, so beautiful! i jusy had my LO two months ago and felt the same about my pregnancy and labor....have fun i loved that way beginning part.

Logical Libby said... Reply to comment

You're forgiven.

I have a friend who is an LD nurse who says sometimes they play "good cop/bad cop" so Moms in pain have someone to cry to, and someone to hate to keep their minds off the pain. At least that's what she says...

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said... Reply to comment

He is the cutest Amanda!!! Can I just say that I laughed out loud when you said it felt like the biggest poop ever?!

When and if I have a baby, I'm coming to you to hear the real deal on how I should prepare/freak out for the pushing...

Lisa said... Reply to comment

What a beautiful baby! He kinda makes my ovaries hurt a bit :) Glad things went "as planned" with no complications!

Chicken said... Reply to comment

AHHHHHHHH!!!!! I heard a rumor you had him! I loved reading your birth story, he is adorable.

I'm going to take your hint on pushing for food. I think if they tie a sushi roll to my head on the end of a stick, I'll be able to push this baby out in 30 minutes.

Natalie said... Reply to comment

I know exactly how you felt getting that epi. I shook the entire time; literally shook with nerves. Then? It sped up my delivery.
Also, my first baby boy weighed 8 lbs. too. The nurses kept looking at me & him wondering how such a tiny girl had that big of a baby. I did & I love him more every day.

Congratulations, by the way.

Maggie said... Reply to comment

Congratulations! He's the most precious little boy I've seen in quite some time!

And Cathy is right, your mil can cram it. You look beautiful in that photo! (And what kind of mother, in-law or not, says that kind of thing to another woman? She's been there and should know better! I'm mad on your behalf I guess.)

SS said... Reply to comment

The biggest congrats to you, your hubby! Catching up on blogs after an extended vacation and just as I was clicking on yours it occured to me that there would be a baby pic.

Off to read the rest. :-)

Post a Comment

Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.

Related Posts with Thumbnails