Hutch is my second guest blogger of the week, continuing her grand tradition of Remember When Wednesdays on my lil old blog! Hutch is one of the first blogs I started reading and probably one of my first regular followers too! Enjoy her tale of drunken debauchery on the high seas.
First, I would like to say I was absolutely flattered when Amanda asked me to guest post while she's on her Babymoon Cruise. Is there anyone not super jealous of her right now? As I'm sure you know, Amanda falls under the category of AWESOME, and that kid is going to have one hilarious mom! Her charts/graphs/work stories/Bachelorette recaps are my fave. Plus, she's also a fan of HIMYM, and has fully taken on the Jazz Hands Revolution...we were totally MFEO as friends.
Of course, when she told me she'd be crusin' (while I'm tanning myself with halogen lights), I immediately knew what I would be writing about...My Senior Cruise. I know you must be thinking this is a story about some drunken fools, well you're right, but I was not one of them, on this trip at least.
After graduating high school in1999 2003 (I have trouble with the math since turning 25 again), my friends and I went on a "Senior Trip." I'm not sure if this is tradition everywhere else, but all the cool kids did it. We chose to take the 4 day Mexican cruise with stops in Catalina Island and Ensenada. Since certain friends (Vladeraptor) weren't 18 yet, we needed chaperones, aka parents to "look after us." You should know at this point very few, if any, of the 8 of us had ever touched alcohol, we were those crazy sober ones.
On the stop in Mexico, between watching a couple crazies take whistle shots at Papas & Beer in front of my parents (awwwwkward) and the locals selling Chiclets or asking to cornrow my head, we realized we could buy liquor. We then found out we'd have to sneak it back on the boat. One small bottle of tequila down someone's pants and we were in! I wasn't ready to cross over to the world of alcoholic yet (this would occur 3 months later in Santa Barbara), so a few of us decided to head down to our parents room.
WELL...
We walk into the room, and my mom is sitting on the bed making hand gestures to TI's mom while TI's mom was holding herself very stiffly, almost like she was trying not to laugh or fall over. This continued throughout our conversation of catching up on the rest of the day. A few minutes later TI's dad comes barging in, screaming "Who wants to ride the SCHLIDE, come on, let's go on the SCHLIDE!"

Then it hit me...our parents are WASTED. I, of course, call my mom out and TI's mom just lets loose laughing and stumbling all over the place. Little did we know, while we were sneaking on a bottle with enough tequila to make maybe 6 drinks, our parents had been sucking down the alcohol like it was ice cream (I'd say soda, water, or candy, but I could probably out eat anyone in an ice cream eating contest, my stomach cannot say no).
The schlide story still comes up at many family-friend get-together's (my parents and TI's parents are besties). Inevitably, my public drunkenness/extremely hungover debacle during parents weekend at Syracuse follows, but that's a story for another day.
Of course, when she told me she'd be crusin' (while I'm tanning myself with halogen lights), I immediately knew what I would be writing about...My Senior Cruise. I know you must be thinking this is a story about some drunken fools, well you're right, but I was not one of them, on this trip at least.
After graduating high school in
On the stop in Mexico, between watching a couple crazies take whistle shots at Papas & Beer in front of my parents (awwwwkward) and the locals selling Chiclets or asking to cornrow my head, we realized we could buy liquor. We then found out we'd have to sneak it back on the boat. One small bottle of tequila down someone's pants and we were in! I wasn't ready to cross over to the world of alcoholic yet (this would occur 3 months later in Santa Barbara), so a few of us decided to head down to our parents room.
WELL...
We walk into the room, and my mom is sitting on the bed making hand gestures to TI's mom while TI's mom was holding herself very stiffly, almost like she was trying not to laugh or fall over. This continued throughout our conversation of catching up on the rest of the day. A few minutes later TI's dad comes barging in, screaming "Who wants to ride the SCHLIDE, come on, let's go on the SCHLIDE!"
Then it hit me...our parents are WASTED. I, of course, call my mom out and TI's mom just lets loose laughing and stumbling all over the place. Little did we know, while we were sneaking on a bottle with enough tequila to make maybe 6 drinks, our parents had been sucking down the alcohol like it was ice cream (I'd say soda, water, or candy, but I could probably out eat anyone in an ice cream eating contest, my stomach cannot say no).
The schlide story still comes up at many family-friend get-together's (my parents and TI's parents are besties). Inevitably, my public drunkenness/extremely hungover debacle during parents weekend at Syracuse follows, but that's a story for another day.
Big thanks to Hutch for her guesting duties and big props for her for actually sneaking liquor onto a boat! Hope our ship has a SCHLIDE.

10 comments:
I hope you have schlide too!!! Can't wait to hear about the trip :)
Oh Lord. The day my kids can identify me as drunk will be a scary one.
I hope it's on a ship.
Oh this is funny! Hope you're having fun on your cruise A!
My Senior Cruise story is similar... except I was trashed, my best friend wasn't... there was one of those mustard (sp?) drills in the middle of the night. (We didn't know that it was a drill until afterward. We thought the dang ship was going down Titanic style.) My BFF tried to get me up, get shoes on me, get the lifejacket on me, and get my drunken butt out of the room. My parents open their door, my friend looks at them and says, "Hurry up, the ship's going down!"
I begin to throw up on her and then my parents tell us that it's only a drill for the staff, while laughing hysterically...
I think we all have our cruise stories of younger years... :o)
You went on a senior cruise!? Why didn't we have though!? (Jealous.)
I hope you are having fun on your babymoon, A!!
That is freaking hilarious. My kids already know I am an alcoholic. My son had to write sentences for school and he wrote that his mom's favorite beer was Coors Lt. Let's just say we made him rewrite it and pick a new sentence. Oh yeah and one day I found that he had a beer bottle cap collection. Yeah. I am an awesome parent.
Have fun on your babymoon! I can't wait to hear all about it!
i wish i was on a cruise right now. *sigh*
haha drunk parents...they're always good for a story!
Schlide....love it!
I'm not sure if I've ever had the privilage of seeing my parents shnockered. Damn. I'm jealous!
Funny shit girl!
That is the epitome of awesome.
Post a Comment
Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.