Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Oh what a day; then I forgot my password

Do you ever have one of those days where you're all, "well this task that should have taken two minutes has now taken 20 minutes of my time"? I like to call these kinds of days Harder Than They Need To Be days. And they SUCKHA.

Our company just changed to a new voicemail system and they have been bugging the living daylights out of us for the past week to delete our old messages and set up our new system. Well joke was on them because I did that after the FIRST email they sent out weeks ago. I still got the email that told me I had unplayed voicemails and I'm like, "What now? There is no red light a'flashin' at me. How can I have a message?" and LO and BEHOLD I checked and there was a message from...wait for it...MAY 12. Oh good, thanks for eating that message, glad it wasn't important. Oh wait, it WAS important.

And also, how creepy is it that they knew I had a message when I didn't even know that?

That was yesterday and then today we get another email to clean out our boxes, already, or it will be deleted and lost into the depths of technology hell where bad messages go to DIE and you will never hear from them again and then everyone will hate you for not responding to the message, and HOW COULD YOU BE SO NEGLIGENT? (I am paraphrasing.) I figured I might as well check one last time, in case some stealth ninja message had crept into my mailbox in the dead of night. there was nothing.

Then I dialed the new voicemail system to see if the stealth ninja message was there. I pressed the numbers *beepbbeepbeep*. It asked for my password. I checked the post-it where I'd written down my new password, a super secret and hard to figure out combination of numbers (12345)(which was the default) and punched that guy right into my keypad.

Then the voicemail lady said, "I'm sorry, that doesnt' seem to be the correct password."

Saywha?? Wrong password, but I wrote it down.

I tried every combination of numbers that I could possibly think of...my anniversary, my birthday, my house number, my old house number, my husband's birthday -- no success. Then I got locked out of my mailbox.

Like Tony the Tiger says...GRRRRREAT! Except I mean it in a sarcastic opposite world way.

I emailed our secretary and she told me to call IS. I called IS and they told me to call Communications. I called Communications and they told me to go die. Just kidding. They told me to go fill out a work order. A WORK. ORDER. For my missing  forgotten password.

Meanwhile, my coworkers are feeling pity and laughing hysterically at my plight in equal amounts.

So I filled out this durn work order, right? The drop down says "Choose the problem" and I chose "Telephone and Telephone Services". I pushed submit. It says I need to fill in the device. Work order, do you mean the device I'm having trouble with? The device that I, not 3 seconds ago, chose as "Telephone and Telephone Services". Right, the device I'm having trouble with is our toaster oven. Definitely the toaster oven. For crying out LOUD.

After I submit the work order I get a call from somebody in IS I believe (and isn't that funny consider that's the first place I called). And he says, AMANDA! What's this about you forgetting your password? and I said, well I just did. And he said, You just set it up! And I said, Um, excuse me, I set it up 3 weeks ago after your FIRST email thankyouverymuch. and PS when you point fingers are people there are 4 others pointing right back at you, so just keep that in mind, IS guy. Let's just get on with this and go back to being productive.

Finally it reset but now I'm pretty sure my phone is out to get me:
What technology gives you the crazies?

22 comments:

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said... Reply to comment

Haha, well I'm glad you finally got into your new service. Remind me to never leave you a voicemail.

Chicken said... Reply to comment

At this point its the iphone that belongs to the kid next to me on the train. Why does he think that I want to hear his rap/techno mix?

Bumpkin on a Swing said... Reply to comment

Been there done that girlfriend, I hate change, best of luck, will provide a good excuse for slacking if you need one!

SurferWife said... Reply to comment

Eww. Why ws he so mean? I mean doesn't he know you and your baby are liable to give him a swift roundhouse kick to the head?

Seriously people.

Salt said... Reply to comment

That phone wants to eat your flesh!! That is so irritating and inconvenient. WTF is a work order going to do for a password problem? Nothing is broken.

This reminds me of the kind of issues that we have with our email system at work. It took them like 2 WEEKS to change everything over when I changed my name. And then it still didn't work. I wanted to scream daily.

just call me jo said... Reply to comment

I know! I know! Can you believe all the (s8&#@) crap you have to go through to have access to accounts that are YOURS, so to speak. I have no answers. I'm technoidiotic.

Sarah Mac said... Reply to comment

Anything that has to go through our IT department give me the crazies. IT never responds to emails, unless you send them about 5 follow up emails and give them 3 weeks for something that should take 3 minutes.

The worst was trying to get my name changed in our email system when IT said it had to go through ADP and ADP said it was an IT problem. I actually had a conference call with IT and ADP both saying it was the other one's problem. Finally, 3 months later, I find out that my name hasn't changed because my manager hasn't approved it yet.

liz said... Reply to comment

Did you add those gruesome teeth to that poor phone?!?! Ha, ha!

Not in the same way, but I can't stand when the DVR doesn't pick up a show that runs a different length of time.

Oh, and craig's fax machine HATES me. Seriously, it loathes me. And the feeling is mutual.

Daydream Believer said... Reply to comment

OMG, the password thing totally happened to me today, too! I was at the copy machine at school and couldn't think of the 4-digit number. I had no idea. I think I even used the last four digits of the phone number I Had in college. Why is it you can remember random numbers from years ago, but can't remember ones you use regularly? Am I just stupid? Anyway, the password is 9255. I'm leaving that in the comment so that if I should ever forget the password again, I can simply check your blog. So, thank you, my friend.

Katie said... Reply to comment

i haven't checked my work voicemail in 3 years. i don't even remember how. so good for you to fill out that "work order" for a new password - seems silly that they couldn't just help you over the phone with that.

Logical Libby said... Reply to comment

They put a new voicemail system in at my office last year. We all still haven't figured it out. The worst part? It sends emails when the box is full telling you the messages will be deleted.

I really hope no one called to tell me I won the lottery.

mylittlebecky said... Reply to comment

that sounds like a super cool day. yowch. those phone systems are scary.

Allyson said... Reply to comment

I hate Technology Services or Information Services or The Fifth Dimension of Hell...or whatever you want to call it. Basically it all sucks. And because that is Neal's specialty, he gets all giddy over it and says things like "oh it's so easy! And it doesn't take ANY time." and then I have to walk away or I will punch him in the throat. I hope the super important message wasn't anything like your husband calling you to say the house was on fire or the doctor's office calling to give you the sex of your baby.

Congrats on not opening fire on your telephone, though. You're a better person than I am.

gv said... Reply to comment

That is creepy. The one technology that drives me bonkers, if it counts, is printing labels-I HATE IT!!!

Katie's Dailies said... Reply to comment

It's our internet and our provider. We kept getting off-and-on service all last week (madly dashing off e-mails or twitter messages while the gettin' was good) until The Computer Guy came out, poked around and finally switched out hamsters. Guess it just needed a fresh hamster in the wheel that keeps it working 'cuz it's been playing nice ever since!

The Random Blogette said... Reply to comment

I hate when people run you in circles. It's like just freaking tell me what I need to do and stop telling me to call/e-mail different people. Seriously! It is insane.

Tracie said... Reply to comment

Ugh. I have to use simple passwords like 1234 or I can't remember them at all.

Right now my cell phone is giving me fits. Apparently they call it a Smart Phone because you have to be smart to use it. Duh.

KLZ said... Reply to comment

If you sold pointing fingers to make people like the IS guy feel like jackasses (since they'd literally have 4 pointing back at them) I'd be 'em.

notquiteawake said... Reply to comment

I HATE STEALTH NINJA MESSAGES!

Stephanie said... Reply to comment

I forget my passwords ALL THE TIME. My work ones have to be 12 characters w/ a symbol, number and capital letter. It's ridiculous!

Alexandra said... Reply to comment

Conference calls make me go nuts....that and when the in laws say, "we're going to put you on speakerphone.."

Ga!!!!!!!!

JMJE said... Reply to comment

I do not like my work voicemail system either. One time the flashing light (that shows you have a message) would not stop blinking for like a week and it really annoyed me. I kept going in and looking for messages even though I had none. I was having people call me and all sorts of stuff to try to get it to turn off. Finally it just went away.

Post a Comment

Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.

Related Posts with Thumbnails