Monday, April 5, 2010

The It's Blogworthy Award: Beware of Gas Station bathrooms because someone might tickle you

 [ Have you joined the It's Blogworthy Facebook group yet? Rumor is, it's a really cool place to be. But that's just what I heart.]

I thought I'd start a new feature on It's Blogworthy to celebrate the most blogworthy people, places and things in some arbitrarily selected categories.

The first award is for Excellence in Gas Station Bathroom Sketchiness.

My many travels around the East coast of the USA have taken me to many a sketchy gas station, and due to a combination of coffee addiction and a small bladder, I've witnessed a variety of gas station bathrooms, truly the most disgusting, germ infested places on the planet. Actually, the only thing worse than a gas station bathroom is a gas station shower. I don't want to even think of the unspeakable acts that go on in a gas station shower.

There were many contenders for this coveted (by no one) prize. There was the bathroom in South Carolina celebrating Christmas with an exquisite, tiny Christmas tree in the corner and garland on the door. Then there was the bathroom in North Carolina that was located on the outside of the gas station. Here's how that transaction went:

Me: Do you guys have restrooms here?
Happy Cashier: We sure do! [ grins ]
Me: Well. Can I...use it?
Happy Cashier: SURE! [ grins ]
Me: Is it....somewhere....around here or....?
Happy Cashier: [ hands me a key attached to a full-on women's room sign ] [ grins ]
Me: [ thinks twice about this whole having to pee thing ]

But this bathroom wasn't quite sketchy enough. NO, it takes a special type of creepy to receive this incredible award.

The first annual Excellence in Gas Station Bathroom Sketchiness belongs to....


THE CITGO STATION IN SPARKS, GEORGIA!

Looks normal, right? We found this little gem on our way back from West Virginia, right off I-75!

I didn't say this award was for excellence in PUMP sketchiness, did I?

Once you get to the inside of this fine establishment, it's like a wonderland of filth and negligence. The hallway to the bathrooms was dark and foreboding, with one single flashing light bulb. There weren't real doors on the bathrooms, just the old tyme-y swinging cowboy doors. The stalls had doors, though (thank God), however, the men's room door was WIDE open and some guy was in there all, "hey, just washing my hands and being hygienic" but WITH THE DOOR OPEN. I know it's just hand-washing, but where are your boundaries, dude?

The women's room door was also wide open when I walked in. And this is where I found this wondrous specimen.

Here's where you stop to get "healthy". You do see these in pretty much any run-of-the-mill truck stop, but here's what made it special:

Super gross, y'all! I'm all Prudy VonPruderson up in here, but not so much that I can't snap a few picture phone pictures. Sorry for the terrible quality; it says, "Six Different Items in Rotation to Enhance Personal Encounters". Not with a 10 foot pole, people.

Congrats, Citgo in Sparks, GA, for your award.
Display it proudly!

29 comments:

liz said... Reply to comment

This is a fun, new feature! Me likey! I think there should be a "... __________" after the word "encounter", like you can fill in the blank with "in a sleazy truck stop bathroom" or something.

Jules AF said... Reply to comment

hahahaha what a great thing to have in a bathroom.

SurferWife said... Reply to comment

Ok, this feature is awesome! And I will pray that I am one day cool enough to land myself that award.

Hutch said... Reply to comment

I'm thinking it's the town name. You could probably find the same thing in Sparks, NV. It's right outside of Reno and not far from the armpit of America aka Battle Mountain, NV. Yes, it really is known for this.

Cheryl said... Reply to comment

Love your new feature! :)

Come on, weren't you even the slightest big curious to see what 75 (where's the cent symbol when you need it?!?) cent item could enhance your personal encounter? ;)

I think the sketchiest gas station I ever encountered was in South Carolina, where you had to go into the bar to pay for gas. I promptly putt-putted to the next gas station.

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

I have a motto with gas station bathrooms...glory hole free = alright with me. Of course that means that if it's free of glory holes not if the glory hole is free. How many times can you say "glory hole" in one comment? I'm done now.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said... Reply to comment

Ew, ew and ew! I don't know if I've ever been to that gas station. I've hit a few on that road but I don't think this has been one. THANK God!

Kelly @ turned UP to ELEVEN! said... Reply to comment

EEEP! Question is have you been through Tennessee? I'm still trying to figure out how little girls are taught to pee there. Every time and I mean EVERY time I've stopped at a TN rest stop, gas station, or place to eat there is ALWAYS PEE ON THE SEAT!!!! Always!

I trend to try to stop at Truck stop type gas stations/rest areas mostly because oddly enough the tend to be semi clean - if the are a commercial truck stop mind you (you know one that has a taco bell or something inside it or a diner but also has a name brand logo for gas.. NOT a mom and pop station.. they get scurry!

Chicken said... Reply to comment

Only 75 cents?!?!? So you got 10 of them right?

Sarah With Scissors said... Reply to comment

You are my freaking hero... hahaha... I've so been in so many sketchy a bathroom as I also have a coffee addiction and a small bladder. You are going to laugh but look up the traveljohn.com or there's tonnes of other products out there... these things have SAVED MY LIFE!!! (you so don't want to know)

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

I just fanned your page on facebook, and I added it to my fan page. You should check it out. *wink wink* *nudge nudge*

Gross bathrooms are the worst, but somehow I don't really get as grossed out as lots of people do. I have to go, so... I just deal. Defense mechanism... or some kind of survival method, I think.
Though your gas station bathroom experience sounds more creepy and weird. I don't think I've ever had the creepy bathroom experience, but weird? Yes. Like no lights, and having to light the room with my cell phone.

Lisa said... Reply to comment

HAHAHA I've seen that *same* machine in at least 2 different bathrooms between where I went to college and my parents' house! I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one disturbed by it!

Maureen said... Reply to comment

LOL great post!
I think the worst bathroom would be in my country. You can actually smell the stench way before you walk into it. Yuck!

Dropping by from SITS :)

JMJE said... Reply to comment

I have seen those wonderful Health Mart machines in many a bathroom along the East coast. I try my hardest not to use gas stations bathrooms!

Salt said... Reply to comment

Mmmm pleasure kit. My skin is officially crawling over here. Congrats, Sparks, GA Citgo!!!!!

Cathy said... Reply to comment

Girl, I have seen many a restroom worthy of this award. We have certain gas stations we will not stop at any more because of their sketchiness.

I find that fast food places usually have cleaner restrooms, but then I always feel obligated to buy food.

foxy said... Reply to comment

Hahahaha... LOVE THIS. How perfect for your little blog! And healthy? Not so sure about that either... ??

gv said... Reply to comment

Awesome! Congrats Citi and yes, I joined the FB group.

See Mom Smile said... Reply to comment

I actually have dreams about nasty bathrooms. So I guess it's nightmares. Come on $.75? You've got to be curious.

Bethany said... Reply to comment

What no "For a good time call..." "ads" on the side of the machine?

On our way to GA earlier this year we stopped at a gas station that couldn't let us use their bathroom b/c the water in the toilet was frozen. How does that happen, really?

Unknown said... Reply to comment

OMG - hilarious!! I don't think I've ever seen anything remotely like that in a public restroom... or a gas station shower for that matter... I guess you're just lucky - lol! This was a great read :)

Ian said... Reply to comment

That's fucking hilarious yo. Following because I know what's good for me.

Uptown Girl said... Reply to comment

hrmm that's funny bc I thought I was Prudy VonPruderson... are you my alter ego?

I should start taking pice of some of the bar bathrooms I see. bc they are all nastified.

So did you end up buying the Pleasure Kit then?

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

Wow I feel like I should do a West Coast version of your bathroom exploration.

Gotta love the condom/lube machines!

notquiteawake said... Reply to comment

Ew! Gas station bathrooms are my nemesis. On my way here I went to the scariest gas station ever in Boston. The door didn't even lock. I had to squat and lean over and hold the disgusting door so someone wouldn't come in and shoot me. That would probably be the worst place to get shot ever. I'd be so embarrassed for the person who found my body.

Sarah said... Reply to comment

SO SKETCHY!

I'd ask you to make this a regular feature, but I hesitate to ask you to frequent filthy places.

Tracie said... Reply to comment

The worst is when the boys encounter public restrooms with these "Health Marts". What the heck am I supposed to tell them?

Iva Messy said... Reply to comment

LOL! so funny!

Jackie said... Reply to comment

man I am behind on my commenting!! lol

I remember many road trips taken as a child where the stops at gas stations involved a large antique key on a grodie block of wood or some such thing leading to a bathroom that can only make a filthy truck stop bathroom look good. Ugh. Just gave myself the willies.

Thank God for cleaner bathrooms these days! We actually make sure to stop at the same places on our way to visit family now - you know, the places we remember as being non-creepy with good clean bathrooms. ;)

Post a Comment

Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.

Related Posts with Thumbnails