Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Our Disney sports weekend (Volume 1) or How I became a national celebrity

Hubby and I have season passes to Disney World because we are awesome like that. We'd been cooped up in the house every weekend since before Christmas and decided we wanted a little weekend away, and this was a great opportunity to do so because it was ESPN the Weekend at Disney Hollywood Studios.

ESPN the Weekend is like a magical wonderland of awesome for boys. It's the equivalent of a McDonalds Play Place, except if Ronald McDonald and other McDonalds characters were just randomly walking around and doing Q&A's. It's like if US Weekly Magazine was a place you can go and celebrity watch and people like Jake the Bachelor and Kelly Cutrone and Angelina Jolie were just chilling on a stage somewhere just to be ogled by the visitors.

ESPN the Weekend has an area where you can pretend-throw a baseball and football and pretend-swing a golf club. There's an area where you can pretend fish. There's an opportunity to play basketball with the Harlem Globetrotters. There's the NBA RV that's in those funny commercials with Shaq, and you can go in and poke around. And a place where you can pretend you are an ESPN anchor. And parades every 4 hours featuring vintage cars that drive a handful of sports personalities up to the stage for interviews. Each car also has a Disney character dressed up in some kind of uniform. It's pretty much a collection of the most blogworthy sports things ever.

When we got there Saturday it was cold and pouring. Cold being relative. Hubby and I bought some super cool ponchos and got down to the business of watching sports people talk.

Here is how I felt about the cold rain:
 
It's only the Happiest Place on Earth when the sun is shining.

Nothing really that great happened on Saturday at the park, then Saturday night we checked into an Econo Lodge in the ghetto part of Kissimmie where massage parlors are built right next to Disney knock-off souvenir stores and where dreams go to die (I'll get to all that biznass in Volume 2).

And then Sunday started off like any other day at a Disney park. And then? THEN? We were totally on TV.

The front stage at Hollywood Studios was set up mostly for in-park interviews, but had at least 3 live shows per day taped there. We stood waiting for the show to start a row or two back from the front, and when two people in the front of us decided to peace out we moved up. As noon drew closer, we heard a whisper or two that Baseball Tonight (that was the show were preparing to watch), was going to be live. I freaked out and put on lipstick and fluffed my hair and then texted everybody I knew and waited for my 15 minutes of fame to begin.

Hubby got this sweet new phone a couple weeks ago and can now set up shows to record on our DVR. Here are some screenshots from the show (as you can see, I was far more concerned with being on TV than baseball):

 
Above is the opening crowd shot where the camera-dude was running his jiggly butt off to tape the front row cheering. I'm looking up at the screen so I can see how I look. So far, Hubby is kicking my butt in "being a celebrity".
Now I'm trying to look like I'm way into cheering for the Rays because that's what they are talking about. I'm trying to get my viewers to think I'm a big time Rays fan, and therefore a fan of all kinds of sports, and then send me big bags of money for being so into sports. (Is it working?)


See, now I'm much more aware of the camera and literally do not take my eyes off of it, or stop clapping, until I'm completely sure I'm not on camera anymore. 
And PS this is what it looks like from our view:
By this time, I'm getting texts from my sister that she has seen me on Baseball Tonight and I tell her to watch for a super special shout out.


Its' a friendly sister wave! And plus, a great way to endear myself to my audience! Hi audience! I'm super famous and important, but still humble enough to wave at all of you! And later my mother-in-law told Hubby that my wave looked a lot like my niece's "princess wave", so there you have it. I'm famous.

Famous amongst my sister and 4-year-old girls.

Sports are awesome!

To be continued...

26 comments:

Chicken said... Reply to comment

I want an autograph! And perhaps you should try selling your hoodie to Planet Hollywood or something? The hoodie that made you famous!

gv said... Reply to comment

Woohoo! Now I "know" a celebrity!!!! Sounds like a fun weekend.

chloƩ said... Reply to comment

hahaha oh man that is soo funny! i love the words you added to the screen caps..so funny! haha , i love this. so glad i know someone famous :)

Allyson said... Reply to comment

Dear Princess Amanda,
I know that I have not stalked..um..KNOWN you that long but please don't forget me when you move into the Magic Kingdom Castle with Goofy and Snoopy (oh wait, Snoopy is different...). I know that you have little time for the peasants in your life, but please consider me for hire when you and Prince Hubsters set up house. I can spit-shine a fireplace and bake homemade chocolate chip cookies with Ghiradelli chips.
Love,
Cinderella Mimosa
Also? How pissed are YOU that you're stuck in the rain?? I just posted a similar I'm-wet-now-get-that-damn-camera-out-of-my-face picture on Facebook. And you guys totally rock! You are super stars and you should be proud of yourselves for spot-hopping all the way to front row and national television. And for mastering cheering/camera etiquette.

Miranda Tucci said... Reply to comment

ha ha! LOOK AT YOU!!! You ARE a celebrity!!!

foxy said... Reply to comment

This was GREAT, although you didn't look too happy on that cold and rainy morning. :<

Can't wait to hear about the ghetto and massage parlors... ha!

Brooke said... Reply to comment

I seriously would have thought that was Cinderella and Prince Grumpypants waving (or not) at me in that last shot if you hadn't told me any different.

Congrats on your new-found celebrity!

Sarah said... Reply to comment

You nailed it.

Can I be your celebrity stalker now?!

jessalyn said... Reply to comment

i am jealous. i haven't been on tv since preschool. and we had it on tape (maybe vhs- but i actually think beta. remembah that?!), but splash came on tv, and that movie was very important to me, and i was screaming and yelling, so my dad rushed to tape it for me, and taped over my appearance. thank goodness for dvr nowadays, huh? i need to get back on tv. maybe you can bring me next time.

Jules AF said... Reply to comment

haha that picture of you looking into the camera is CREEPING ME OUT.

MariahSmile said... Reply to comment

I love the pic of you and your hubby with you having and him pouting! It made me LOL! Congrats on being famous, I guess I could say now that I knew you before you were famous! haha

Kiera said... Reply to comment

that is awesome and so so funny. every time (like im on often) im on the big screen, i too, would rather look at myself than the cameras.

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

Ahhh, you're so adorable! Oh my word, even rain would wipe the Disney-loving smile off my face, so you're not alone, sister!

My sister and her fiance (well, he'll be hubby then...can't wait!) are going to Disneyworld for their honeymoon in three weeks. I keep begging to be a stowaway in her Coach bag, and I'm sure she's just saying no because my husband and kids won't fit. ;o)

Have a great week!

Julie said... Reply to comment

OMG... you are famous! And I think I may have said this before -- but sooo jealous that you have season tix to Disney. Especially for the ESPN stuff. :)

Jackie said... Reply to comment

how awesome are you! you totally have that princess wave down! loved the captions :)

Daisygirl said... Reply to comment

The expression on your face is priceless! I agree rain sucks when your at Disney!
Yep you are so famous! How fun!

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

I think I know that econo-lodge... great location ;) Glad you got a chance to enjoy the warm Florida weather.

notquiteawake said... Reply to comment

I'm so excited that I know a famous person. And, what?! You can set up your PVR to tape from your phone? I think I need to hear more about that. Unless I totally misunderstood. If that's the case then, nevermind.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said... Reply to comment

HAHAHA, I love the princess wave. I think that by far takes the cake.

JMJE said... Reply to comment

Ha, I love that first photo of your face. Awesome. Looks like you started having a better time later on though.

Daydream Believer said... Reply to comment

OMG!!! I am so happy I met you like three days before you became way famous!! I'm telling everyone I know!! "Did you see that Amanda Austin girl on tv??! Yeah, she's my bff!!! For realz!!"

Bethany said... Reply to comment

Wow, how awesome am I for knowing a celebrity princess via the Internet? (see how I made this all about me. That's what I do. You should start doing that now that you are famous.)

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

Agents will be calling now. Priceless, love...priceless!

Hutch said... Reply to comment

OK, so incredibly jealous! I'm a Disney nut too, but have only been to the D-World once. As a kid I went to the Land every time I visited my dad, and had a 16 year streak going til I moved back east. I'm slowly building the streak back up!

SurferWife said... Reply to comment

OMG. You are like a mega celeb now. I might need to feature you on my Happy Hour and a Celebrity Encounter Feature.

I'm following you now. Noticed you on all of the blogs I read and had to sniff you out for myself.

Cheryl said... Reply to comment

LMAO... oh my goodness, I am SO happy you were able to DVR it b/c the story just wouldn't be the same without the photographic evidence.

Post a Comment

Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.

Related Posts with Thumbnails