This isn't the first Man Cold of the season here at my house. No, Man Cold 2010 struck in mid-January. It was proceeded by Christmas Man Cold 2009. And in between, the kidney stones fiasco. So yeah, basically my home as been an infirmary for the better part of 3 months.
I had a cold, too, around Christmas. And then also picked up some weird chest cold in January. But the sink can only hold so many dishes and Hubby was out of clean undies, so I kept chugging along. Can't keep a good woman down.
Anyway. Man Cold. These two words can strike fear into every wife or girlfriend's heart. They can cause white hot rage to burn from her skin and muscle strain from all the eye rolling. It's been this way from the beginning of time, you know. Below is a cave drawing of a pre-historic Man Cold:
Authentic cave drawing.
That's clearly a woman who is angry with caveman who has a Man Cold. And she's apparently about to hit him with some pre-historic animal bone (good call, lady). That's a stone pillow and trash can. So I've been told.
Remember how Henry VIII had Anne Bolyen beheaded? It's a little known fact this happened because she warmed up his chicken noodle soup by putting it in a bowl in the microwave instead of warming it up gently on the stove. DUH.
How do you know you have a Man Cold happening in your home?
1. Do you have a man who lives with you?
If yes, go to question 2. If no, you do not have a man cold in your home.
2. Please answer "yes" or "no" to the following questions:
- Are there wadded up, wet tissues littering the floor surrounding, but not actually IN, the trash can?
- In the past two hours have you been told any of the following? "I feel horrible." "I'm the sickest I've ever been." "I'm going to lay down on your lap." "I think I might have pneumonia."
- Have you been asked, "Do I feel hot to you?" more than once in the past three days?
- Have you cleaned up more than five different, half-drunk glasses of juice or ginger ale from the coffee table?
- Are there more than four bottles of ibuprofen, NyQuil or other other-the-counter medications on your kitchen counter, dining room or coffee table?
- In the past 24 hours, have you had to explain that ER doctors don't typically treat common colds?
- Has your man spent more than 4 non-sleeping hours in bed between 9 AM and 11 PM?
- Have you been asked to move from the couch because the man wanted to completely stretch out?
- Have you been snapped at more than four times in the past week because you forgot a fork, napkins or beverage?
- Did you say "Oh, you poor thing" at all in the past 7 days?
I know I'm not the only one. Here's a WebMD article on the phenomenon. What do y'all do to stay sane during Man Colds?
32 comments:
Love this post!! Anytime my husband is sick (no matter the illness) I refer to it as the 'man flu.' You would think he's dying when he has a runny nose. I've learned that ignoring his complaining seems to work best.
My favorite request I've received from him is: "Do you think you could get me a cold rag to put on my forehead?"
Um, really? Haha!
My house has been infected with the man cold before. You forgot to add the symptom of "Can you call my mom, and ask her to bring me (insert random item here)". I mean for real? I wasn't good enough he needed his mommy and I was happy to send him to her house. Doesn't help that MIL is a nurse.
This sounds like my husband! One sniffle and he "...is getting a horrible sinus infection!Get the Zicam!" I remember when I was first introduced to this phenomenom, we had been dating for about a year, and I had to make 3 trips to Walgreens because I couldn't get the right humidifier/vaporizer. In reality he kept asking for the wrong thing, so I bought them all just to shut him up...
YOU GUYS, I just got a new one: "I'm shot. I've been going going going all day and obviously my body is not ready for that." (really? because you SLEPT IN AND DID ONE THING TODAY.)
I also forgot "My snot is so yellow. I must have an infection."
it has been a never ending man cold in my house lately. i don't know why, but he gets better for like 5 minutes, then is sick again. it's driving me crazy.
Oooh, you lucky ladies.
Mine refuses to admit that he's sick even when he so clearly is. So he trucks on through his day as though nothing's wrong, being pissy and snippy the whole time. He's one of those "I never get sick!" men. Then, having not taken anything for the cold, he lays in bed snoring like a grizzly having a terrible nightmare.
After a few days he'll relent and admit that he's sick...
Every day I ask him if he feels better, and every day the answer is "No."
Hey, have you ever noticed that you can ask a man if he's feeling better six weeks after his Man-Cold went away and the answer is still "I'm a little stuffy yet. I should take it easy today."
BWAHAHAHA. This is brilliant. It doesn't help that my husband is a mild hypocondriac. Every little thing is "death". His brother bought him a book called "The complete manual of things that can kill you" or something like that. The whole family thought it was hilarious.
This is hilarious, and so incredibly true. How are they such huge babies when they're sick? My favorite Man Cold quote is "do you think my sinuses are angry and trying to leave my body?" Yes, honey, yes I do.
ok, so the positives in my comment are that my husband really doesn't do any of this. Actually, he rarely gets sick.
So Yay!
The negs are that he could answer yest to more than two of these questions about me.
I'm sorry to my fellow woman. I am a drama llama. What can I say?
Haha! Hang in there. Maybe the Man Cold will disappear once the spring weather comes to stay. Either that or start the praying.
I am totally printing this out so that I'll know what to do after the wedding!!
My sympathies to you! So many men are such babies! I have to say I got lucky in that regard. If hubby complains about being sick, he really, truly is - like go to the ER and spend 5 days in the hospital and have 3 morphine drip IVs before the pain goes away kind of sick. and still is nice to me. true story. He rarely gets sick though, but I seem to make up for it....like the rotovirus outbreak of 2008. that was na-sty.
my best friend's hubby is so much like this though. When he starts getting a cold he complains about getting "a raspy throat". that sounds like a speaking problem, not a sickness! Meanwhile she has asthma and got colds while pregnant and pregnant while working full-time and caring for a one-year-old....not to mention sharing the 3 day rotovirus illness with me while she was 40 weeks pregnant! But she keeps going. Most men would have died at that point. ;)
Haha! So funny! I can totally picture any one of my male friends/relatives acting out all of the above!
oh...my bad.....was norovirus, not rotovirus....and you don't want to know what I had to do to get that diagnosis confirmed by the public health department.
Ok, I agree with the tissue, juice, and cold medicine parts...but I tend to be much less whiney.
Oh...you need a prayer, a drink, and a cruise (probably in that order). Fortunately, Neal is incredibly healthy and I can count on one hand the number of times he's been down for the count since we've been married (his stint with food poisoning was my fave though. I've poisoned myself with leftover pizza so many times I just know to grab a trash can and sit on the toilet but you would have thought the entire length of his GI tract was turning itself inside out). And Neal doesn't use Kleenex..he uses hankerchiefs (which is very 1920's Greta Garbo until they're crusty and stuck to the coffee table via snot. Not so romantic then). I'm really sorry this is your life right now. Man Cold can make a girl club her husband to death with a prehistoric bone. I've seen it happen.
I definately know I experienced the Man Flu now! And it swept in for the weekend and left me to do all the sick laundry when it left! I have never had to take care of the Man Flu before so I am glad we've chatted about this multiple times now cause I was truly worried something serious was wrong since he was acting like this! Now I know for future reference!
Ugh, man cold is awful. They just throw everything everywhere. When I taught I was always getting sick...I mean really cough a lung up sick. Those kids, even at the college level are germy mermies.
Mary
Stopping by from SITS... You've made me grateful to be single! ;-)
Good luck survivg ---
p.s. I'm at http://ShaynaLeahK.Wordpress.com
The Man Cold is THE WORST thing out there. I agree. I've seen it get baaaaaaaaaaaaad.
Good luck.
Oh - and I love the cave drawing you were somehow able to unearth. Only a woman could produce such a thing as that! ;)
Hello!
Good to meet you.
Your writing is excellent. I like your style.
Thanks for your visit!
Yep. Man Cold. Kid cold. Anything but a mamma cold and it is Armeggedon at our house. Better living through chemistry and a secret stash of chocolate!
Man Cold, aka the ability of a man to whine more than normal!! My three year old is better at being sick than my husband is!! HE is the biggest baby in the world when he's sick.
Dropping by from SITS, have a great day!
You make me laugh. So much. And how in the world did you get your hands on an authentic cave drawing? You must either be rich or a famous paleontologist.
M works in retail and sells video games (which means sick kids abound) and handles dirty, filthy money all day. The man cold has only made one appearance in our home this winter and I'm hoping that there won't be a repeat.
I may not have the man cold in my house but I work in an all male environment and they bring their man colds to work... especially on shift work when we have to sleep at work... just what I need when a cold goes around... 3 dudes whining... at least at the end of the shift I get to go home to my petridish free, man cold free house. I don't know how you girls do it.
Funny...there are also MAN headaches, MAN flus and my personal favourite...the MAN hang-nail. MAN OH MAN. We can't live with em...um, how's the rest of that saying go again??
*drying my computer screen from the water I spit out at it* Aside from being hilarious, this is SO TRUE. The next time Hubs is sick, I'm pulling up this post for him to read.
My husband gets a man cold every three months. He didn't believe me so I started marking them on the calendar. I hate man colds. We must marshal all resources to come up with a cure for the man cold.
OMG, this is so funny! So true! Thanks for a great laugh! Love it! Sorry I have no advice. I just grin and bear it.
That was one sweet sweet cave drawing.
No truer words have ever been spoken!
Oh, I do love my Snuggie - I too was totally anti-Snuggie, until I got my Colts one. Now you won't see me without the thing. Unless you see me outside of my house, in which case, you will never see me with it.
Post a Comment
Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.