Sunday, January 31, 2010

Understanding the Black Eyed Peas: Not for the faint of heart

I'm watching the Grammys and my brother-in-law just posted this on Facebook:

 

Keep in mind, my brother-in-law teaches physics and is a super smart dude, so if he doesn't get it, how do any of the rest of us have a chance?

See, the Black Eyed Peas are just weird. Everytime I see a live performance with the Peas, I'm all, "Is this real life? Am I dreaming? Quick, somebody wake me up, it seems I felt into a deep sl....Oh, nevermind, it's just the Black Eyed Peas performing in their robot suits again."
Listen, before you Peas fans start screaming at me with your caps locks on, I really like them. Every time I hear a Peas song, I want to get up off my butt and dance. In fact, they are a favorite on my workout songs list. But as my friend Jody said, the Black Eyed Peas are definitely a studio produced group.  They sound way better on the radio or your ITunes player than, for instance, up on stage at the Grammys. And I think they know that, so instead of trying hard to sound good they just do crazy stuff, like wear freaky clothes and masks and dance like crazy people. It's like, "Look here! Now there! Now we're rapping! Woops, Fergie lost her clothes! More rapping! An explosion! Song's over!" and you don't think things like, "Hm, that sounds different than normal..."

This is a completely opposite phenomenon than Lady GaGa, who sounds amazing but wears buzz-worthy clothes so people will -- well -- buzz about her. 

A good metaphor for the Black Eyed Peas is like when you take some Nyquil and don't move a muscle for 8 hours, but your brain comes up with the strangest dreams all night, most of which you remember. When you wake up you say to your friends and loved ones, "I had the oddest dream last night. The Black Eyed Peas were performing and Fergie had a metal golf visor and Wil I Am was wearing a Phantom of the Opera mask, and then these robots came on stage and started dancing with them." But would you be able to say anything about what they said or sang? Probably not. You were too distracted by the robots. 

Try it -- next time you see a Black Eyed Peas performance, call up your best friend and explain it to them but don't tell them the group was the Peas, then ask, "Was what I just described to you something I really watched, or do you think it was a dream?"  Nine times out of ten they'll guess a dream. Is my prediction.

The point of the Peas is that there is no point. Listen to the lyrics next time you get a chance. "Them chickens jackin' my style"? "I'm on the supersonic boom, y'all hear the spaceship zoom"? Poetic, really. Beatles, eat your hearts out.

And that, my friends, is how to understand the Black Eyed Peas.

20 comments:

Cathy said... Reply to comment

Oh damn...I wish I would have watched their performance tonight. I do love some Peas for working out and busting a move. I'll have to see if I can find the performance online tomorrow.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said... Reply to comment

HAHAHAHAHA! So true. Remember the incident where Fergie peed on stage....I wonder if she planned that? lol

MariahSmile said... Reply to comment

While I was watching I was thinking the same thing about the crazy outfits and robots being distracting! I did listen for Fergie though, cause I like her with or without the Peas, and she sounded really good to me.

Matty said... Reply to comment

Hello. I saw your comment over at Stir Fry Awesomeness. I've been following her a long time.

I saw the Grammy's tonight too. All I can figure is that the lyrics don't have to make sense. As long as they rhyme. And the costumes look good. And they move and dance a lot. And they just plain look good. Right?

Unknown said... Reply to comment

TOO funny. I love the Peas and agree with you all the same. AND now, I must follow you.

MrsBlogAlot said... Reply to comment

HA! I don't get them much either but the rest of the world does so who's counting me? Well now there's me and you (-:

But, it was the first time that I actually saw and heard Lady Gaga sing and I was blown away.... just like everyone else.

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

No truer words have ever been spoken...

If you don't mind, I will be sharing a quote of yours in my post today because I seriously haven't stopped laughing.

Sarah said... Reply to comment

They try to find inspiration from "Parliament," I think, but they forgot to do all the hallucinogenic drugs.

Tracie said... Reply to comment

I'm with Cathy. The Peas are great to keep you moving on the treadmill. Missed the performance last night. I love GaGa too.

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

This post is so full of win that I can hardly stand it. I like some Peas songs. I just can't stand looking at Fergie. Like her face just makes me angry. So usually when they are doing live performances I turn them off. However, next time I might have to watch just because I love robots so much.

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

TRULY FUNNY and precious you are! I agree, they can always make me boogie...but I am never really sure what the hell is going on? It all just seems so....confusing. Then they do a show on Oprah with a giant "flashmob" (I am 34 and I know what a flashmob is...so be impressed) and I love them! Still...I agree...weird.

The Blonde Duck said... Reply to comment

I like the previous Black Eyed Peas albums better. They weren't so weird and I liked the music better!

Amanda @ It's Blogworthy said... Reply to comment

Cathy - yes! I'm sure it's on YouTube, you can see the crazy robots that take over the stage.

Jennifer, if she peed this time, you'd never know!

Mariah, yeah, I do like Fergie too most of the time. She's got some great songs! But she just adds a dimension of normalcy in that group!

Matty -- You got the point of the Black Eyed Peas! Thinking about them too hard is the problem.

Wym, thanks for following :) Hope I can live up to this one!

Mrsblogalot, Gaga is amazing, but lots of people hate her because of the weird outfits, but she's so talented! I'm with you on that one.

Meg, you're so sweet for quoting me! Glad y'all seem to agree, I was worried that I'd get a lot of Peas fans yelling at me..seriously!

Sarah P, Can you imagine Parliament and Black Eye Peas together? That would be the oddest thing ever.

Tracie, I've finished many a workout with that extra little boost from the Peas!

Salt - Thank you! There's so much to focus on besides Fergie, like the masks or Wolverine claws.

SmartBear, thank you! The flashmob was really cool. I saw that too.

Sarah Beth said... Reply to comment

I totally agree - they are weird, but I LOVE them, anyway! Thanks so much for stopping by, Amanda!

Miss Yvonne said... Reply to comment

I'd just like to say that if I had Fergie's body, I would dress like a robot and rip my robot clothes off all the damn time.

But yeah, they's stone cold trippin', yo. That was my street lingo. It's okay if you don't understand it.

Heather said... Reply to comment

I love me some Fergie Ferg. I do think she's talented and I love to kick my a** in the gym to their music. Also, you mentioned Lady Gaga....that outfit last night...out of control, the girl has raw talent though.
-Heather @ www.savingmoneylivinglife.com

JMJE said... Reply to comment

I HATED the Black Eyed Peas when I first heard them but now I love working out to them. I just find it super weird that my dad likes them. Apparently he also enjoys their live performances.

BLOGitse said... Reply to comment

LOL! I agree with you!
There's much better music out there...Mainstream is not the only music in this world...

stopping by from SITS - exploring sitstablogs...

http://BLOGitse.blogspot.com

Joey Lynn Resciniti said... Reply to comment

It's a pretty good strategy to distract from bad live vocal performances. I think Lady GaGa needs too cool it though, I have to close my eyes when she's on tv to have a chance at still enjoying the way she sounds.

notquiteawake said... Reply to comment

Hilarious! That is a perfect description of their performances. Perfect. See? You totally deserved that award.

Post a Comment

Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.

Related Posts with Thumbnails