Here is what our layout is like. I designed this with my rockin' Photoshop skills.
For almost two years, I had my computer situated to where people could see exactly what I was doing as they walked by -- not cool. Another problem is that I really like to talk to my coworkers and they know that, so there would be times when people would just pop on over and I'd say, "sit down and chat a spell!" and pour them a glass of lemonade or sweet tea, and we'd rock on our rockers and next thing you know, 45 minutes have gone by and I'd have to rush and finish something.
So I re-arranged my cubicle so I'm facing the opening, but it didn't change the fact that I'm just too darn chatty and nice. When my cubicle neighbor left, he bequeathed me some pretty kick-ass laminated signs with 1990's stock photography that used to be on some client display. He thought I could hold them up when I was busy, in a meeting, or wanted to chat. Basically, they were my Moody Moose Buttons (a candy cane for the person who actually gets that reference).
I took it one step farther by adding post it notes, for those who can't read non-verbal signals in stock photography.
"I'm on my old school corded touch-tone phone and ready to talk for hours!"
I put this one up when I'm working, but can be interrupted for a little casual conversation, gossip or shenanigans.
"I'm telecommuting! Webinars haven't been invented yet! Like my perm?"
Who likes to attend webinars and has two thumbs? This girl! *points at self* And sometimes people don't realize that I'm in a meeting while sitting at my desk. IS just authorized us to use Skype here last week so.....TECHNOLOGY!
"Let's study!" "Let's go to $5 dollars all-you-can-drink at Rum Jungle!"
This is the poster I use most often. Amazingly enough, it works. I've had lots of people say to me, "Oh, sorry, should I come back?" and a few say "I'm ignoring your sign because I'm way too important for this nonsense."
And last but not least...
"I will cut you."
Luckily (for them or me, I'm not sure yet), I don't have to pull this bad boy out very much. But you know, there are just days where you don't want to be bothered, and what conveys that better than "brooding teenage girl"? I'd know, I used to be one.
So there y'all go, my own system for cubicle working. Anybody have a good cubicle stories?

16 comments:
Great idea! And I love the captions - they are hilarious!
love the last one and the girl with the perm and brick phone! haha if i could have a cube then i would totally do this!
I'd kill for a corner cubicle where no one could see what I'm doing (not that I'm doing anything I shouldn't be). Our office has "pods" of cubicles - 4 grouped together with a walkway thing in the middle and connected with the next pod. I sit with my back to the door - NOT feng shui in my opinion! - and I hate it! I feel like someone is always standing right behind me ready to jump on me for looking at my email for 2 seconds. ;) Love the pics - that's a great idea!
This makes me realize that I, myself, need some signs for my office! :-)
Amanda....I'm laughing so hard right now! Those photos are hilarious and I think you should make copies and sell them with your post it notes.
Thankfully, my days in a cubicle are over and I have a big old office, but it still contains a printer that many other people have to use. Basically if someone comes in and I actually turn around and acknowledge them, they know it's ok to talk. If not, they leave me alone.
Why does corded touch-tone phone girl have her fist cocked like she's about to punch someone?! She's smiling, but also sort of sending a mixed message...
Jennifer, good idea!! I bet everybody would want them. Who doesn't need people to get the heck out of their cubicle, but are too nice to say it??
Jackie - I HATE when people look at what I'm doing! I mean even though I'm doing my job!
Salt -- Um, can I say LUCKY? Does it have a real door? Also, she totally does look like she's going to beat the crap out of somebody....but with KINDNESS.
Sadly, it does not have a real door. I have been considering putting up one of those 1970's style beaded curtains over the doorway, but need to check first to make sure that's not a fireable offense.
Sister, I need a copy of the working on projects poster! OR better yet, I need some stock photography for "Don't come in if you are planning on being a micro-manager". :)
Also, you owe me a candy cane because Moody Moose Buttons is my favorite of the Sweet Pickles!
Oooh I have worked in several different cubicles. But my current one is the best. They actually got us cubicle doors which look like sliding shower doors. So I can close them when I'm busy or just want to hide. They are pretty awesome.
Sometimes I wish I could work in a cube farm, just so I could be obnoxious. Like sending a paper airplane wherever it may land.
Seriously? I would do almost anything for a door. You're a lucky duck!
We used colored lightbulbs. We just switched it on whenever we were busy and off when we weren't. I had pink. There was no other color left. I also thought it was fun to buy a zebra print car seat cover and covered my cubicle chair in it. I refused to sit with high traffic behind me! I'm usually not a paranoid person but that drove me nuts!
Love the pics. You need one for your breaks. A pic of a Kit Kat?
Those are AMAZING. Such a great idea!!! I might have to steal that!
I'm late commenting on this but I'm new to your blog! I, too, am a corner cubie! It's nice back here, except for all of my co-workers who feel the need to yell everything. The corner tends to absorb all of the noise.
Saw this on your CCWA announcement. I've never worked in a cubicle but if I ever do I will be finding me some signs!!
Post a Comment
Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.