Saturday, November 21, 2009

Pumpkin Cream Cakes: A great excuse to eat cake and pretend it's a breakfast food

I love the holidays because of all the seasonal treats with cinnamon and spice. I'm a sucker for cinnamon in any way, shape or form. I wanted to buy one of those brooms that smell like cinnamon, but Hubby told me you have to burn them somehow, not just sweep your house with cinnamon flavor, so I passed.

A Mom at Hubby's school made these muffins for him for his birthday and they were delicious! This is a perfect treat for Thanksgiving morning or if you have company. This makes a ton of muffins (I got 24 muffins out of the recipe. Enjoy!

1 pkg. Spice Cake Mix
1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) Jello Vanilla Instant Pudding
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 pkg. (8 oz.) Philly cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare cake batter as directed on package. Add dry pudding mix and pumpkin; mix well. Spoon into 24 paper-lined muffin cups. Beat cream cheese with mixer until creamy. Blend in sugar and egg; spoon over batter. Swirl gently with small spoon. Bake 21 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool 5 min.; remove to wire racks. Cool completely.

6 comments:

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

That sounds awesome. You know, you can never keep enough pure pumpkin at home because of all the wonderful stuff you can make with it. It's also high in protein and can eliminate some of the fats and fillers when replacing some other ingredients.

There's this great cookbook I have called "The Hungry Girl". Basically, it's smarter ways of enjoying stuff you like while trying to lose weight. Some of this stuff is much better than the fattier stuff I was eating before!

Amanda @ It's Blogworthy said... Reply to comment

Oh, nice! That sounds interesting -- I'll look for it. When I diet, it's not really a "diet", more like cutting corners where I can and cut down portion sizes. I bet the book would be really beneficial!

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

Cutting down portions has become a large part of how I've lost 10 pounds, so far :)

SS said... Reply to comment

Thanks for sharing... I love pumpking stuff (typically pie!) for breakfast after Tday. Mmmmmm.

Um, and why can't you just sweep your house with the smell of cinnamon? That sounds good to me. I love it too, alwasy add extra to my pie and put it in the cranberry sauce as well.

Jackie said... Reply to comment

Sounds yummy! I'm going to make these to take to our Turkey Day gathering I think! I'd better go buy my pumpkin now though - I heard there was a pumpkin shortage due to weather issues or something and when the product is gone, it is gone until next harvest! :(

Have you ever made pumpkin pancakes? Ohhhh....so good!!!! esp. with chocolate chips in them! But make them homemade, not from the "Archer Farms" box mix like I did. You can portion out the leftover pumpkin and then put them in individual bags or containers and pull out when you need them for pancakes! I put them in bags and lay them flat with the air all out, and pumpkin even and flat. They defrost really fast in warm water that way for those quick meals!

Jackie said... Reply to comment

p.s. - do you think fat-free cream cheese and sugar-free pudding would work with it? or should I just go all out?! :)

Post a Comment

Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.

Related Posts with Thumbnails