For the past couple seasons, I've been absolutely obsessed with the show How I Met Your Mother. A "love story in reverse", How I Met Your Mother is about Ted, an architect in NYC, and his quest to find the future mother of his children (the show is narrated by "Future Ted" as if he's telling this story to his children -- BTW, although you never see "Future Ted" is voiced by Bob Saget).
The show is an ensemble sitcom, featuring other characters like Barney (smooth womanizer and Ted's best friend), Marshall and Lily (Ted's other best friends from college -- Marshall and Lily are college sweethearts and got married in the second season), and Robin (Ted's ex-turned-friend-turned-Barney's-girlfriend; her facebook relationship status would be "it's complicated"). You've got a bunch of pretty, late-20s-early-30s people living in NYC and spending every day hanging out in the same place? So with all these characters, are you getting a sense of deja vu? Like you've seen this show before, 15 years ago and with different characters?
Well they aren't the same, primarily because they hang out in a BAR instead of a coffee shop, AND there are 6 Friends and only 5 characters on How I Met Your Mother. So there, smarty pants.
The show is brilliantly written, funny, touching and just the right amount sitcom-y without being cheesy. The theme of "everything that happens, happens for a reason to put you where you need to be" -- or more concisely, where fate leads us -- is something I (and lots of people my age) can relate to.
Sometimes I look back on my life and think about what might have been...if I sat in the back instead of the front; if I left 10 minutes later from a party; if I hadn't been dating someone long-distance during college; if I had gone to a different college altogether. I think of all the events that were tragic when they happened; things that kept me up at night, caused me to shed thousands of tears; good times, bad times, times when I was anxious beyond all reason or so happy I could burst; friends I met, friends I lost; boys that called me back and boys that didn't; jobs I loved and jobs I hated; they are all part of the journey I needed to take for me to be where I am right now.
That's the crux of this show -- the choices we make and the choices that are made for us, although they may be tumultuous when they happen, turn out the way they do for a reason. And during times of change and uncertainty, friendship, love and life just seem to happen. And every step along the way, you'll be making memories that someday you'll be able to wrap up in a nice package for your children.
How I Met Your Mother is worth a watch or read the recaps. Because someday we'll all look back on the life we're living right now and it will make perfect sense.
5 comments:
I've actually never watched How I Met Your Mother! I need to do that! And cake balls are supposed to be spectacular, although I've never tried them. They are basically cake/icing covered in chocolate. Here's a link to the recipe. http://www.smithfield.com/recipes/recipe/paulas-cake-balls
I have to admit it. I've never seen a single episode of this show. I keep hearing about it because of the guy who's on it. I can't think of his name but it's the guy who use to play Doogie Howser.
aww sweet! I totally agree - even though I've done lots of stupid stuff and maybe wish I would have or wouldn't have done some things, it has made me who I am and I wouldn't change a thing. :)
p.s. funny enough I was just thinking the other day that this is the "Friends" show for this generation! (omg, I sound so old saying that! lol)
I LOVE talking HIMYM with you! This season is starting off great! Don't you think? I can't wait for episode No. 100 with a musical number and some major mother action!
Yeah, I've been loving this season so far. I loved the blind date thing....they cycled through every single person in NYC and came back to each other! And stripper Lily was hysterical. AND I love love love Barney & Robin...match made in heaven. And Jennifer, you're thinking Neil Patrick Harris! Who is AMAZING in this show...seriously y'all watch it! :)
Post a Comment
Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.