Wednesday, February 9, 2011
My God Sized Dream
This is a hard one to write.
I'm not sure how to say what I want to say about this blog. I think its' going to just be word vomit all up in your readers, but maybe that's the way it's supposed to be.
I'm pouring my heart out today on this blog because I want to make some changes.
Let me backtrack.
After my baby was born, I was removed from the blogging world out of necessity for a month. I didn't have time to check my email, much less write a blog and make cool charts and graphs for all y'all. I was having some blog blahs before he got here, so it didn't effect me too much. I didnt' feel like I was missing much, or that I was missed.
This is not a pity party, I swear. I needed to step away and re-prioritize. I was thrown into a new world I knew NOTHING about. It was life changing. I know that seems like an understatement -- of course having a child is life changing, but what I mean by "life changing" is that I didn't expect the change. I was very naive. Blogging was, at best, an afterthought.
Then he started sleeping better and motherhood started to click. I was able to sit down for the first time in four weeks without a newborn cradled in the crook of my arm. I had two hands to type, two eyes to read blogs, and at LEAST 3/4 of a brain to come up with witty comments. I dusted the cobwebs off It's Blogworthy and started writing. And writing. And writing. I wrote and scheduled posts for all of January. I wrote and scheduled Tweets, too. I felt like I was really on top of things.
And then a bunch of you went to Blissdom and I got all envious. I wanted to be a part of the fun.
However, even if I hadn't just given birth a couple months earlier, I couldn't have spent money in good conscience to go to a blog conference. My blog wasn't important enough; I hadn't put enough time or effort into it.
I also felt scared: scared to meet new people face-to-face, scared to be in a strange place, scared to network and go to parties and be myself.
That weekend at our church, our pastor spoke about having God-sized dreams. He said that a God-sized dream was scary, but lays in your heart, feeling like it's just the right thing to do. He said to dream big, but start small. He said two dream killers are fear and impatience.
Fear.
So, I left church and said to my husband, I think working on my blog is my God-sized dream. It might sound really silly. I mean, it's not world peace, it's not feeding hungry children or going on a mission trip. It's not building houses for the homeless.
I've gotten so much out of blogging. I've meet so many wonderful people and have been touched by the kindness of -- let's face it -- perfect strangers. I know all about their kids, their husbands, their pain, their joys. I feel less alone in this new role I've been thrown into (thrown into HAPPILY and JOYFULLY but thrown into anyway). I am a changed person because of the community I've met through blogging.
I want to change others like others have changed me. What if my words make someone smile who's had a terrible day? What if they change someone's mind, or touch their hearts? That's what I want from my blog.
I'd love to grow it so much that it's a source of income for my family. Is that going to happen? I'm 90% sure it won't, but that doesn't mean I can't grow my blog regardless.
I also want to make this blog so much of a priority that I can justify one of these blog conferences somewhere down the road.
I want to grow. I want a direction for It's Blogworthy. I want to put effort into it, because writing is what I love. If I don't, I'm afraid of falling into the gap of being someone's Mom or Wife or Employee and lose who I am as a person. I enjoy writing about ridiculous things like Jersey Shore and Project Runway and Lindsey Lohan, but is that what people want to read? Do I care? Those are things I struggle with.
So I'm just going to do it. I'm going to post, participate in the community more, Tweet and re-Tweet. I'm going to re-design my blog and post more regularly. I'm going to find my voice. I'll figure out the answers as I go.
I'm going to tackle this God-sized dream head-on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

24 comments:
Awesome goal Amanda! Your bloggy friends will be behind you every step of the way! :)
That's a pretty nice dream to have :) and just write whatever comes naturally, I'm sure all your readers will love it no matter what subject it is on, it doesn't have to be highly intellectuel to be a great read :)
I was so afraid of going to Blissdom. I have a tiny little baby blog. I don't even have 200 followers, but I went anyway. I wanted to meet the women who live in my computer.
I was so glad I did. The first time someone actually recognized I got all giddy. And then Lawmomma found me in a crowded room just to say hi.
I've tried to talk to my husband about what I get out of blogging, but he doesn't get it. I honestly don't think he's ever read a single post I've written. But that's ok b/c I get it. And you get it. And the people I've surrounded myself get it.
I can't wait to read more blogworthy awesomeness!
Just so you know your words already make me smile/laugh if I'm having a bad day, or a regular day even,
I think that's an awesome God-sized dream. And whatever conference you choose (hint: make it BlissDom 2012!) let me know so I can be there to meet you. :)
Your blog is a Godworthy dream. I'm glad you feel inspired to attack this goal. Yeah, you! I know that nonbloggers don't realize how special these little buggers are to us. I sometimes can't explain it even to myself. It's like having friends that never expect cookies or the house to be clean.
I love this post! One step in the right direction at a time and fear will run and hide.
Well, you're a complete natural at this blogging stuff, so I think this is a perfect decision for you to make! I can't wait to see where it all goes for you..... :)
What a fabulous goal!
I didn't go to Blissdom last year and I was so jealous of those who did go. I went this year and was SCARED. 700 women, most I'd never met before.
If you put all your effort into it like you want, you can grow!
Hey, your blogs do reach people. Even if it's this one little stranger on the complete far other end of the country!
For example: In just this post... you gave me a reminder of one of the things that keeps me from my dreams and need to work on it. Letting go of the fear and keeping on track for MY dreams. Not just being the supporting role for someone elses dreams. See. There. You made a differenct today.
I'm glad you are going to dive back in full force. I'm in need of some awesome reality TV commentary to put a smile on my face.
I love your explanation of God-sized dreams. So inspiring!
Keep blogging and your bloggy friends will be there for support!
visions unto myself
When you read this comment, pretend I'm reaching out and giving you a giant bear hug!!!
So glad we met and became friends!
I've had the same feelings. I totally understand! My dream is for the book that my blog is supposed to be supporting. Getting published, getting it out there. Part of me wants to hide behind my blog and not work on my book, but I know the book is really what God has placed on my heart. Time to get rid of my fear and just do it!
Thanks so much for this. You have a new reader! :)
I love this post. I'm glad you are going to keep up with the blogs. I have those dreams for my blog every now and then also.
Man, I felt like you were writing straight from my head! I feel the same way. I don't know exactly where I belong in the blog world, but I want to be here nonetheless. If people can find a laugh, a smile, inspiration or whatever from what I wrote, I would love that. This was a fabulous post....outstanding. And know that you're ups and downs as a mother are to be expected and to feel a little shocked at the enormity of the change is something I think we've all gone through - you're not alone and I'm glad you're taking time to pursue your goal and nurture your interest.
Yay, more Blogworthy! You almost always make me laugh, whether I've had a good day or bad. Having said that, please don't feel like you can't share things that aren't necessarily funny or that you're only allowed to be funny. Good for you in wanting to grow your blog- good luck! We'll all be here to tag along with you! :)
I think god would be thrilled that you're trying to make your life and others' better. Nothin silly about that at all
You should know that blogs such as yours inspire others (such as me) to continue with our own blogging.
Thanks for being an inspiration and providing some entertainment.
I think you're an awesome blogger, mother and friend. Go for it!
Get it girl!! You are an amazing blogger and I'm glad that you'll be around. You know that I especially love posts involving talk of Jersey Shore, so please to be keeping those coming. :)
You go girl!! I stopped by for the first time from Shell's PYHO link. I LOVED this post. I loved your writing too. I'm with you on this one on so many levels. Can't wait to see what you do with your blog. :)
Amanda, I love this! I think you should totally go for it. Do what makes you happy and if one day you can get paid to blog then that's icing on the cake!! Maybe I'm just on a high from getting called for an interview but hey anything is possible if you want it!
This is a difficult conversation to have with yourself...to sit down and determine what takes priority in your life. Clearly, your child, your husband, your job...but after that. When there is time and energy left over, what do you put it toward? I would say that the blogs that survive years of blogging and numerous blogiversaries are because the bloggers are motivated by the love of writing. They can't imagine a life without writing. So, they just keep on because it's what they love and then their persistence pays off in the end (literally, sometimes). Sometimes it's not the best blogs, it's the most long-lasting. But you have both of those so I think that you will find a way to live and succeed at your God-sized dream. I know this crisis of voice...I had the same thing when Neal deployed. It's why I started the 2nd one...I felt like my voice had changed because of a life experience. You will evolve and take your blog with you but it's what you love and you are phenomenal at it...so keep living your God-sized dream and everything else will fall into place.
Also...I LOVE the re-design. It's SO Amanda and makes me smile!
YAY! Good for you! Your blog has made me smile on multiple occasions, especially your charts. LOVE!
I've had this EXACT thought like 2 billion times. Should I try harder to make the blog more marketable, more targeted? If I did that, could I make money? Could I make a name for myself?
I'm stuck. So I'll watch this space :)
Post a Comment
Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.