I have a confession to make.
I joined Studio 30+ a few months ago because it looked like an amazing place to hang out online, for cool people only. I've been solidly pimping it out on my page and Twitter. The only problem? I wasn't 30. I was 29. And 3/4. I was so close to 30 I could smell it. Everybody I knew was in their 30s. I was married to a 30 year old. I told people I was 30 because when you work with mostly 30 year olds, saying you're 29 inevitably brings lots of corny jokes like, "You've heard of Indiana Jones, right? Or was that before your time?" or "1988 was a good year. But you were still in diapers then, weren't you?" RIGHT, I WAS IN DIAPERS AT 8 YEARS OLD. I especially love it when the people making these HIlarious jokes were two years ahead of me in school. Funny guys. Reallllly funny.
Anybitter, now I'm legitimately the right age for the group and I hope founders Jules and Jerrod can forgive me for all the dirty, dirty lies I've been spreading. Just know in my heart and soul, I was 30.
But let me tell you, people, being pregnant on a milestone birthday is not all it's cracked up to be. I've been close to tears no less than 10 times this morning and it's not even 10 am. People are being so darn sweet and nice that my heart is filled to the brim with appreciation and if it gets much more full I will have a massive hysterical waterworks fest. You've all been warned (but you can be sweet anyway if you want. When you can't have wine, crying is the next best way to relieve stress.)
Indulge my nostalgia for one moment, please: I had a really terrific time in my 20s. I think of it in two pretty distinct areas. The first is my college and grad school years, where I learned so much about myself and made memories that still, to this day, make me smile. The friendships I made during that time I will always cherish...still do, in fact, since some of my best friends of yore are my best friends today. The second area is really after I met my hubby -- or AH, if you will -- when I started my first job, watch friends get married and have babies, got married myself and recently watched my baby sister get married. Hubby and I traveled all around and had the most amazing experiences during our travels. We moved, bought a house, made a baby and started become grown-ups.
And here's 30 that's full of who knows what, but if the trend continues, I know it's going to be great.
Now where's the birthday laundry elf I asked for?
What was your favorite age?
25 comments:
Happy Birthday.
What its like to remember your 20s. .. no I mean REALLY, whats it like?
I can barely remember mine without Aricept.
Have a good day and decade!
Happy Birthday, Amanda! I can honestly say I don't know anyone who hasn't yearned for 30 before. :) I was pregnant with Maddie for my 30th, so no fun celebrations to be had.
Happy birthday!
I loved turning 30 for the same reason, I was so tired of the being the baby. It seemed like turning 30 meant I had finally arrived at adulthood.
Happy Birthday! I'm going to be 30 this year too. I really think my favorite age so far was 28. I got engaged and married and bought a house. It was a pretty big year. I also enjoyed being 16 and 25. And 29 is not so shabby.
Happy Birthday!
I actually love my 30s way more than my 20s, teens or prior--seriously! I figured out more of who I was, I became completely independent and I found the greatest guy totally by accident.
Happy Birthday! Try not to let the hormones wreak too much havoc. :)
Have a great day!!! Just remember, it's your party and you can cry if you want to! ;)
Awwww happy birthday! I'm sorry you aren't having the funnest time. I cried a lot on my 26th birthday and I didn't even have the pregnancy excuse.
Oh and 31 was the best. So you have something to look forward to next year.
Yay birthdays!!! happy 30th! I need to remember this mindset next April. But the new old job helps me get back on track with not being afraid of 30 AS much.
Well, my birthday is August 9 and I'll be 37W2D pregnant - sounds like it'll be a GREAT day! Haha! I hope your day gets better and Happy Birthday! :)
Happy Birthday!!! So far I think my favorite year was 23.
Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday!! You are making me wish I was going to be 30 in December...but I have to wait a whole 2 1/2 years before I can be a cool kid. *sigh*
Every year has been a great year because I've had YOU for a sister! But I would say all years after I turned 18 were a little better because I had the Goog too!
Happy Birthday! Seems like you are having a great bday. Isnt it nice to have fantastic people in your life?
I know what you mean about being called young or being teased about it.. I get it ALL the time. One of my friends calls me her cub and a group of my gal friends call me youngin. I hang around people that are older than me bevcause thats who I get along with. I just turned 23. My boyfriend is 28. Three of my close gal friends are 28-30. One of my close friends is 35. I do have friends my age but they are not reliable and they are not in the same stage of life as me... My friends always make references to things in the 80s and I was in diapers during that time but I just have to embrace it I guess
Happy 30th though!! I heard that thirties are the new twenties! Also with the little one on the way I am sure the best years of your life are still to come!
Happy Birthday Amanda!!!!! I know you can't booze it up but 30 is going to be great!!!
Happy birthday! Glad you're accepting 30 with open arms.
Happy birthday, hot mama!!
Happy Birthday preggers! I LOVED the year I turned 30. Enjoy. I just turned 35. That was a tough one...
Best,
Tina
I hope that you ended up having a good birthday after all! Just think..30 is going to be an amazing year because you will have your baby! I think that 30 has been amazing to me so far, but let's see what happens next year! LOL!
Happy Birthday, darling!! I know pregnant and 30 is not much fun. Neal was in Kuwait when I turned 30 and that wasn't really much fun either. And I got double pneumonia on the day of my 29th birthday...which sort of sucked. And I was pregnant for last year's birthday, which also kind of sucked because we were in Baltimore and Neal took me to this fantastic Italian place with no less than 48938293 different types of house wine. So, yes..I do totally get that. But I hope you found a little Fre to celebrate with. That stuff is a pregnant drinking lady's BFF. And I hope it was absolutely magnificent! Here's to a rockin' 30 more!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
I don't know what was my favorite year, but I can tell you my 21st birthday sucked. My 29th birthday party was off the hizzy(is that how you spell that? i'm old). And my 31st is this year and we're heading to Virginia for a week, so that should be pretty kick ass!
happy belated bday lady!! look at it this way- for your 30th, you are getting the best gift ever!! (ok, yes, the laundry elf gives the bambino a run for his money, but the baby still wins...and when the baby gets old enough, he can be your laundry elf! win win.)
Happy Birthday! I'll be right there with you in December. I'm excited to see what 30+ has in store for me.
I guess I don't have a favorite age. Liked lots of ages for different reasons. I did like 30 though (a lot). Remember as a kid 30 felt old? But once you hit 30, it isn't old at all!
I had my kiddos popped out by age 30. That's just what happens when you get knocked up twice and don't plan your children.
You know, the way smart (old) people like you do it.
Happy (belated) Birthday! Hope it was a good one. I got engaged on my 30th birthday, so that was a pretty good one. Or not. Jury is still out.
Hey, while I'm thinking of it, isn't it time for a recent preggo profile pic of you?
Post a Comment
Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.