Tuesday, May 4, 2010

If you can't trust the History channel, who CAN you trust?

Hubby and I are sort of history nerds. Well actually he's mostly a history nerd but I don't mind it. He has a Master's Degree in history so he sort of has to love it. And love it he does. I am not lying when I tell you we have a room in our home dedicated to the Civil War, complete with the cute little hats they wore, postcards, a calendar, blue and gray painted stripes and some rocks we stole from a Civil War battlefield one time.

We've also been to Gettysburg a bunch. It's fun, you should go. And take pictures  like this:

The rock was very heavy. Also: people died here.

Anyways. Hubby always finds these interesting shows on the History Channel and records them for us to watch during dinner because YES we eat in front of the TV and don't you dare get all judgey about it. He saw an ad for a program during the NCAA tournament (I know, weirdest ad placement EVER) called America: A History of Us and he got super jazzed. The premiere came on two weeks ago and of course we recorded it.

Like I said, he's much more into history than I am and gets all pretentious about it like he knows more than the History Channel, AS IF. So when we started this really slick-rick show, what with the fancy computer graphics, good acting and celebrities adding their commentary, he was a little skeptical. I mean really, what does Sheryl Crow have to add to the story of the American Revolution, hmm? (Answer: a lot. She's surprisingly insightful.) He kept saying, "I....I just don't know if that's accurate." and "Wait. How is Jay Z qualified to talk about Jamestown?" but I figured it was legit for the following reasons:

  1. It was sponsored by Bank of America.
  2. It aired on the History Channel.
  3. They quoted Jimmy Wales, co-founder of Wikipedia.
But then even I started wondering if what I was watching was *actually* the story of America. It started when they talked about the Alamo and were all, "people died! *wah wah wah* But we eventually got Texas!" Um, excuse me, wasn't there some more information in between? No? Jimmy Wales said it wasn't important? Oh, ok then.

Then they were all, "one upon a time there was this poor little guy whose Mom died of milk sickness and then he moved from Kentucky to Illinois and built himself a log cabin, the trailer homes of that time period, [I swear to God they said that, verbatim] and then he grew up and split  hundreds of thousands of one foot logs in half while his Dad watched" and then made me wait to find out who it was when I could have totally gone to Wikipedia and typed in "Illinois" and "milk sickness" and KNEW it was Abraham Lincoln.

But this show jumped the shark when a few minutes later they said Abraham Lincoln used to sail down the Mississippi on a raft selling fruit and he basically discovered steam engines. Really? Really. Come on. I was born during the day but not yesterday. I searched up and down all through the Abraham Lincoln bio on Wikipedia and there is no mention of his steamboat inventing days, so I call shenanigans.

THEN Puff Daddy is all, yeah, Abraham Lincoln is a hero because being an American and working hard is in his DNA. And I said, "what do you know from working hard? You hired someone to hold an umbrella over your head when the sun is out. I hardly call that work."

So now I'm looking at this program with a somewhat critical eye, because they may or may not be feeding me bullcrap wrapped in real history. And it's DELIGHTFUL so I guess I like the taste of historical bullcrap. Right now we are just getting in to the Civil War days, which I'm sure they will make sound as glamorous as possible.

America, I love you, but  we need to have a little talk. Just because you want it doesn't mean you can just take it. Early America was like a little child. They were all, "well if you're going to tax us then we'll just throw all our tea in the harbor, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO NOW?" or "This land has belonged to you for hundreds of years but we put a flag here SO IT'S OURS NOW, NA NA NA POO POO." I don't question that part because I know it happened.  I just kept saying, "Why did Americans have to do these things? I hate Americans!" Like, good job, History Channel, you just made me ashamed to be an American for like, 2 hours.

I think -- maybe -- the whole miniseries is just a subliminal message to open a Bank of America credit card and go search for stuff on Wikipedia. Speaking of which, if you need me I'll be slipping down the black hole that is Wikipedia searches.

21 comments:

Kiera said... Reply to comment

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA. ive been absoutely terrible reading and writing blogs. but how the HELL did i miss that you're preggers?!?!!?!?!?!? congrats!

Ian said... Reply to comment

Gettysburg? I thought you lived nowhere near me?

SurferWife said... Reply to comment

Wait. Hold the damn phone. You mean to tell me the man behind Wikipedia is not named Mr. Wiki?

Hutch said... Reply to comment

oh wikipedia how I love/hate you!

I get sucked into more of the European history and since I minored in it I would totally know if they were trying to B.S. me...maybe

The Random Blogette said... Reply to comment

I am actually a history nerd too. No fancy degree or anything, I just love shows about History. I have actually been recording this series. My son and I have started watching it. I am also a little miffed about the story telling too. I mean why do we care that this couple's spouses both died and then a few weeks later they married each other. Ok...so.

I also tried to explain to my son about the Native Americans. I told him how Americans were bad and they stole all of the land from the Natives and then killed them. That freaked him out a little bit.

Salt said... Reply to comment

Suddenly I feel the need to open up a Bank of America account. What the hell is going on here!?

just call me jo said... Reply to comment

You continued to watch when they had Jay Z and Sean Combs (sp?) (Puff Daddy) as MCs? Did you get a head injury at Gettysburg? Call that dang History Channel and just complain really loud. It's a sacrilege, I tell you. I mean it. Call now!

foxy said... Reply to comment

You have GOT to be kidding me! I can't even believe that something like THAT would come on the history channel!? I'm tempted to watch it purely for the shenanigans.

Chicken said... Reply to comment

Tisk, Tisk. Did they have a special after that one sponsored by Wal-Mart that said that Ben Franklin and Jesus were BFF'S?

Never Too Busy said... Reply to comment

Wow. What has the world come to? *epic sadface*

Liz said... Reply to comment

A top-notch AA post is exactly what I needed on a day like today. I may just read it again it's THAT good.

MariahSmile said... Reply to comment

I saw one part of an episode of that show on the Civil War and it was interesting! I am not a history buff but that show and its exaggeration of American history made me want to watch! haha I learned that apparently George Washington likes gay people.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said... Reply to comment

Wow! Say what?!?! You mean the history channel is airing fake history?!?!? CRAZY!

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

I. Love. The. History. Channel.

But I know they like to glorify things sometimes, and say things that aren't so accurate. One of my Anthropology professors showed us this AWESOME show about Easter Island, where he does his archaeological work during the summer (and they actually interviewed him for it, but used none of it). Afterwords, he pointed out all the fallacies and whatnot from what he's seen there. Turns out, these shows don't like facts that get in the way of their awesome narrative, and since he didn't give them facts they liked, they didn't use them for the film.

I was shocked. Now I look at all that stuff with a skeptical eye.

KLZ said... Reply to comment

So. I clearly have to watch this.

But, I really feel that Jay-Z can talk about whatever he wants. You hear that Jay-Z? I'm on your side - say whatever you want.

(I am very scared of him. I was just telling David about this.)

Alissa Grosso said... Reply to comment

A friend of mine sent me a YouTube video of something called drunk history, which was basically some guy drinking too much while trying to tell some historical anecdotes with real actors acting it out. It was hilarious. Also no one asked me to open a Bank of America card.

Cheryl said... Reply to comment

We eat dinner in front of the TV, too, though not the history channel. At least you're eating in front of something educational. We usually eat in front of Law & Order or NCIS, though those shows DO tell you what not to do if you're going to murder someone, so I guess maybe they are informative.

Cathy said... Reply to comment

This? Is fantastic! My hubs wishes he had a history degree. His dream job is to be a history professor.

We eat dinner in front of the TV too. We can, because we're adults.

Show me all the fake history shows you want, because I know nothing about history and will believe whatever anyone tells me.

jessalyn said... Reply to comment

huh. apparently celebs tell better history stories.

and someone like me, who was never very good at history will listen and be like "oooohh" and "aaaaaahhh" and "tell me more, mr. diddy!"

Alexandra said... Reply to comment

The history channel.. . all the drama, some of the actual history.

Jackie said... Reply to comment

no judging here - we eat in front of the TV every. single. night. Well, except when we eat out or the parents are here - then we eat at the actual tiny table we have and try to scrounge up 4 chairs. What I love though is our coffee table that we eat at - the whole top of it lifts up so it's almost like a *real* table! ;) I even purchased some lovely placemats *cough* cheap plastic *cough* to help protect said table while we watch our Ghost Hunters, Castle, and Star Trek:TNG. Yep, there are bigger nerds than History Channel nerds. :) (Although hubby loves that channel too - WWII is his war of choice.)

Post a Comment

Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.

Related Posts with Thumbnails