Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Let me turn this into a mommy blog for one hot second

My hubby and I moved into our house in August, 2009 after the worst experience with a Realtor in the history of the world (I promise I'll blog about it one of these days). Shortly after, Hubby called me at work and said he was headed to the animal rescue place where we'd volunteered and was going to pick up a new cat as a "house warming gift".

Now I was not at all keen on this idea. I told him absolutely, under no circumstances should he even think about bringing another cat home. Who needs 4 cats? Certainly not us. So nosiree, just get that thought right out of your pea brain, turn the car around, do not pass go, do not collect $200 and especially do NOT adopt another cat.

And of course when I got home there was a tiny gray kitten with white paws waiting for me. And it was one of those Hemmingway cats with an extra thumb. I was all, come ON, this is SO unfair. You had to pick the cutest cat EVER to adopt and now I'm supposed to be angry with you?



In the history of my cat ownership I have never had a cat that loved me more than other owners. The three other cats are pretty much obsessed with Hubby, but this one was different. He took to me right away. He would cuddle like a baby and lay on my shoulder and sleep on my lap. Eventually the thought popped into my mind: "I bet human baby cuddles would be even BETTER."

So time went on and I kept this thought to myself. Then one night, Hubby and I were watching The Hangover and at the end he said, "you know....if I had a baby, I would NEVER leave it unattended in a hotel room with a tiger." And that's how we decided we wanted to have kids.

With all that being said, I'm here to tell all y'all, Moms and non-Moms and maybe even some Dads (because let's face it, my male readership is like, literally two), proudly that, I'M GOING TO BE A MOMMY!

My due date is November 27, just in time to eat leftover turkey and dress that baby up in ridiculous Christmas hats. We're very excited, anxious, happy, shocked and all the other emotions you develop during the first trimester when everything makes you cry (including but not limited to, touching blogs, Carnival Cruise commercials, dog food commercials, "mean faces", too many phone calls, not enough phone calls, bad smells, your cat "dissing" you and grocery shopping.)

I can't imagine that I'll be posting that many pregnancy updates unless it gives me a good story (already using my baby for amusement), but I will on Facebook if you want to friend me. Now back to your regularly scheduled non-Mommy blog topics.

53 comments:

Sarah Mac said... Reply to comment

AND I'M GOING TO BE AN AUNTIE!!!! YIPPIE!! SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!

What will Smoosh and his one-sided evil mustache think? He might have to come live with Aunt Sarah if he starts to feel too neglected!

A said... Reply to comment

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! I'm the mommy of a 4 month old little boy and it's the most amazing thing ever!!

Deb said... Reply to comment

-->Congrats! My son was born in November as well. You get the tax break and still enjoy them at Christmas time. ha!

JMJE said... Reply to comment

Yay, congrats. Your baby will be one month younger than my best roommate from college who is also expecting her first child!

Hutch said... Reply to comment

Congrats again! I'm sure future child will love the story of how he/she came to be. Especially since The Hangover will be an Animal House type classic. I'll have to think of a creative onesie now since there's been a bit of a lull after Lil' C, my skillz need a refresher.

Ian said... Reply to comment

CONGRATULUMALATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I am the only guy blogger follower you have aside from Jesse that matters!!!!

Little Girl::Big Glasses said... Reply to comment

Congratulations - enjoy the excuse to nap often, wear loose clothing and eat extra pie.

SurferWife said... Reply to comment

YES!! You are going to be the best mommy ever!!

And trust. You will get some good blog stories out of this pregnancy. From leakking boobies, to worrying about your water breaking in public, to your weird food cravings/aversions, to freaking out on hubby for no reason.

This is going to be great. And very blogworthy!

liz said... Reply to comment

Yay! Yay! Yipee! Yahoo!!

You just wait, and you'll see how much you end up blogging about baby stuff. :)

I didn't know about Hemingway cats before. And your Hangover paragraph was priceless!

Of your 4, which cat is the best dancer?

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said... Reply to comment

I'm so excited for you Amanda!!! I saw Kelsey's facebook status but just noticed the tag and didn't think anything about it. Then I got your text and was like OMG!!! Haha!

Miranda Tucci said... Reply to comment

Soooooo excited for you!!!!! I can't wait to see your baby bump!!

jessalyn said... Reply to comment

omgomgomg congrats times a million!

you will be an awesome mom! and just think of how funny it will be to make the baby do dances like the cats.

The Only Girl said... Reply to comment

Congrats! That's VERY exciting! Enjoy this special time.

KLZ said... Reply to comment

YaaaaaaaaaaaaaaYYYYYYY!!!!!!

First trimester is exhausting but just wait until the baby kicks! Yay!!

Congrats!

Jennifer Vanderbeek said... Reply to comment

Congrats!!!

Sarah said... Reply to comment

Yay!

So, so wonderful. You'll love being a mommy.

itsybitsyknitsy said... Reply to comment

OMG! CONGRATS YOU SILLY GIRL!!!

Daisygirl said... Reply to comment

Okay so because of the hilarious scene in the hangover you guys decided it would be a good time for a baby...haha ! That is great! I am so excited for you! Turkey babies are fabulous! I had a 10 pounder a few days before Thanksgiving in 2007 and we brought home our adopted son from Guatemala on T day 2006!

Congratulations...oh and I had a cat with an extra digit once (sadly he ran away somehow) but my Grandma called him the Devil...she is a wacko old woman!

Unknown said... Reply to comment

Im gonna be IT'S unoffical aunt in Oregon! Cant wait!! Sooooo excited for you two! <3

Brandi said... Reply to comment

Awesomeness! Congrats! :)

Chicken said... Reply to comment

YAY! I am so happy for you! Hubs and I are still on our quest, but it's awesome to hear of other people bumping ugly and making out with a baby!

Copyboy said... Reply to comment

Hey congrats!!! Good for you!!! Jeeze, another mommy blogger for me to follow? haha. Seriously that's great news!!!!

gv said... Reply to comment

What!? No bump pictures!!! I don't know if I can continue to read this blog, guess I'll stalk your FB for bump pics-JK! Congrats girl!

Salt said... Reply to comment

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!
CONGRATULATIONS MOMMY-TO-BE!!!! This is easily the best news that I have heard all day and I'm so excited for you and your hubs. :)

I give you my full permission to mommy blog it up over here. I know you will be HILARIOUS!

Kelly @ turned UP to ELEVEN! said... Reply to comment

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so happy your hubby is smart enough not to leave his baby in a hotel room with a tiger!!! oxox

just call me jo said... Reply to comment

Hubby cracks me up. Love the logic of how you came to be with child. The cats will be jealous of babe (at least ours was.)

MariahSmile said... Reply to comment

Yay! Congrats again! I love how you decided to have a baby after watching The Hangover! hilariousity!

Aimee said... Reply to comment

Wow congrats! When I first was reading this blog I thought you were just being a mommy blogger talking about your babies (cats). but this is such EXCITING news!!

Congrats!

Unknown said... Reply to comment

woohoo congrats myyoungst is a November baby he came on Thanksgiving that year lol...

foxy said... Reply to comment

Wow, girl, CONGRATULATIONS!! I can't even begin to imagine how excited you are!!! YIPPEEEEE!

Can't wait to see how it all progresses........

Katie's Dailies said... Reply to comment

Oh that's such happy news! Congratulations!! You will love being a momma---I have two kids, 16 & 10 years old and they make me laugh every single day!

I found you from The Girl Next Door Grows Up, by the way. Didn't want you thinking I was some sort of nut! Congrats again!

Emma said... Reply to comment

Another one bites the dust...

Just kidding. Seriously, congratulations!!! I promise yours will be the only pregnancy posts I read and comment on.

=)

Jackie said... Reply to comment

Congrats again!!! I can say, as awesome as kitty cuddles are, baby cuddles are even more awesome. :)

Babes Mami said... Reply to comment

CONGRATS!!! That is uber exciting and I can't wait to read about it!

Brooke said... Reply to comment

Yay yay yay yay!!! Congratulations! That's very exciting news!

tootie said... Reply to comment

CONGRATS!! That is awesome news!!

JessMel said... Reply to comment

Congrats!! What a story to tell your little one, one day!

Cathy said... Reply to comment

Congratulations!!

Your kitty in flippin cute and I need one with the extra thumbs when I get one.

Also, JT's older brother has a Nov 26th birthday and he's super competitive, so maybe your baby will be too...that's all I got. Yay!

Logical Libby said... Reply to comment

YAY!

And don't worry, no one will mind when this becomes a Momblog. And it will... Trust me.

Lisa said... Reply to comment

Congratulations!!!! That's so exciting, and I won't mind at all if you post updates as I plan to live vicariously through you :) I would love to have kids, but job timing is so not right just yet. So, all of my kids are furry (but none have awesome extra thumbs like your super-cutie!)

Steam Me Up, Kid said... Reply to comment

Holy crap! That went from cats to mommy so quick I had to read it twice because I thought it was a trick! Congratulations!!

SmartBear said... Reply to comment

I am doin the baby dance....yay! SO Happy for you Amanda! You will have plenty of hilarious stuff to blog about whilst pregs. Just wait until your stomach has a corner on it...that is plenty.
Best,
Tina
P.S.
Can't WAIT to give you all my unsolicited baby advice!

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

Congratulations! Doesn't this get you out of cleaning litter boxes for the next 8 months? Look at you, already using your baby to get out of household chores. Shame.

The Random Blogette said... Reply to comment

I am so excited for you! You will be a fantastic mom! I can't wait to follow your updates on facebook. Since we decided not to have another kid, I can follow your journey! Yay!

notquiteawake said... Reply to comment

Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you guys. I actually like reading about my friends and their pregnancies and their kids and stuff and you're one of my best bloggy friends so I'm super pumped to hear about yours. And live vicariously though yet another person while I sit my 34 year old single ass on my couch and watch repeats of Friends on Friday nights. Sigh....

Curiosity said... Reply to comment

Congratulations! ...I will admit that I just got here, but I am totally happy for you all the same! My hormones are always crazy over inappropriate numbers of phone calls.

And that is an ADORABLE cat. How do extra digits manage to be so cute on animals and so creepy on people?

Never Too Busy said... Reply to comment

Congratulations. And yes, leaving a baby unattended in a motel room with a tiger IS a bad idea.

Shannon said... Reply to comment

Congrats! Saw your info on blogfrog and just had to come by. My husband and I lived in G'ville for nearly 10 years. We went to UF and loved it so much we stayed while he was getting his PhD, etc. Loved it and was sad to leave.

AuntBT said... Reply to comment

Congrats, that's so exciting!!

Sarah With Scissors said... Reply to comment

Well congratulations. And by the way, I love the story of how you decided to have the kid. I would also not leave my kid in a hotel room with a tiger. Your acknowledgement of this clearly demonstrates that you two will be great parents.

Allyson said... Reply to comment

Congratulations, love! That is so exciting! I remember so vividly all of the fun (and maybe not so fun) things about being pregnant. Hearing the heartbeat was amazing. Having the ultrasound picture in my wallet was just nuts. And I made Neal do ALL of his crockpot cooking in the garage because the smells made me wanna just heave everywhere. But the one thing that saved me was Preggie Pops. It truly made everything better.

And I suggest you get the "What to Expect When You're Expecting" journal. It helps guide you on questions to ask the doctor about each month and how the delivery will be. Plus, there are tons of helpful hints in there. It was a really good purchase for us.
Congrats again. Your life will never be the same!

Cheryl said... Reply to comment

Such wonderful news! Congratulations!!!

Uptown Girl said... Reply to comment

Ok. I TOTALLY missed this, and also the green bean post, and also the line in the survey up there where you mention your due date. I cannot believe I missed this!

CONGRATS! I'm so looking fwd to reading all about you and your hubby not leaving the baby with a tiger.

Post a Comment

Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.

Related Posts with Thumbnails