Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Christmas is over. Now, what to do with these candy canes?

You guys? I have 47 candy canes on my desk.



I'm terrible at picture taking. I cut out one of the stacks of 10.
 
They are a hand-me-down "gift" from my coworker who probably also didn't know what to do with them either. "Merry Christmas", he said. Even though it was after Christmas...last time I'll fall for that.

What am I going to do with 47 candy canes?

I just ate one, now it's 46.

My other coworker asked for one, so we're down to 45.

Again, what am I going to do with 45 candy canes? I thought that I might make a cute little bundle of candy canes for the new interns. I'm sure they will appreciate that. My friend told me that it's good luck to put them on your curtain rods during the year, and Lord knows I need good luck; I can get rid of a couple of them that way.

I think I'll place them in random places around the office and see who notices. Or, maybe I'll leave them there ALL YEAR LONG and see what happens. It'll be like art.

I truly think that the same candy canes are sold year to year. How can you tell that a candy cane is fresh? Do they go stale? Is there an expiration date for candy canes? Hubby and I buy them every year and yet never finish the ones we have. In fact, I have a few at home right now that will never be eaten. I can't bring myself to throw them away. It just seems wasteful.

Any ideas, folks? The person with the best idea wins a prize candy cane.

10 comments:

notquiteawake said... Reply to comment

I suggest crush them up and make candy cane cookies and take them into the office. Or send them to me. I'll pretty much eat any cookie, old candy canes or not.

SS said... Reply to comment

I know from experience that they do go stale... they get chewey. yeah, I know, we ate them anyway and I think they were from the 70's... and it was the 90's when we ate them.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said... Reply to comment

When they get so old and bad the white will eventually become red. Trust me...I once had a candy cane for like 4 years because it got placed in a box during a move. ekk

Allison said... Reply to comment

Get some almond bark from the store and make peppermint brittle. Just melt it, mix in the candy canes, and pour on wax paper and allow to dry. Then give away to all your coworkers and you're golden!

Or give them away to people who give your customer service. Like the barista... cashiers. Sneaky gifts! Or hurl tjem at bad drivers. I dunno.

tootie said... Reply to comment

I was wondering the same thing! I still have candy canes on my kitchen counter. I'm wondering, is it bad if I just throw them out??

Steam Me Up, Kid said... Reply to comment

Keep them by the coffee machine, then use them as stirrers and they'll make your coffee into a minty treat!

That's the only thing you can do once they get stale and chewy. Unless you glue them upside down to the side of tables and desks and use them as purse hangers.

Sunder said... Reply to comment

Red construction paper - two candy canes - glue - silver or white pen/marker

Whaddaya get?

A valentine!! Glue the candy canes together in the shape of a heart (cut the construction paper to size, either a square just about the size of the canes or cut the paper to fit the outline of the canes). Next draw or write something cute inside the candy cane heart. I like SS+LZ or Sunder & Lui 4 Ever...you get what I'm saying.

Amanda @ It's Blogworthy said... Reply to comment

these are some sweet ideas! Good thing I have 47 candy canes; I can do them all! thanks guys!

Ed & Jeanne said... Reply to comment

I just keep hanging the same ones up on the tree year after year. You wouldn't want to eat them...

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

This happens to me every year...I made the mistake of telling my Hubby forever ago that I loved candy canes. See, I think the real problem is: you can't just buy ONE candy cane for like 10 cents anymore. You have to buy a hundred....sheesh. Post pics if you make a cute craft out of them. Me? I get kind of tired of the taste of them by the time christmas is over. you know???

Post a Comment

Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.

Related Posts with Thumbnails