I didn't watch the MTV Video Music Awards last night, but I did follow all those Facebook status updates about Kanye West interrupting poor Taylor Swift's acceptance speech.
We can all agree that what he did was terrible and really uncalled for and very unfair to Taylor Swift (I'm a fan). But I have to say, I'm not that surprised. This isn't the first time a superstar singer or celebrity has done something stupid at an awards show. From a PR perspective, you really can't lose. Networks promote the heck out of an awards show. Then they invite all the A-list celebrities, who by the nature of their business have very strong personalities and opinions, then they add lots of booze from (most likely) an open bar. And then they think that it will go smoothly. Wha?
Kanye West is a spoiled little brat. Worse than a spoiled little brat -- he's a drunk spoiled brat. At least when a toddler doesn't get his way and throws a temper tantrum, he hasn't sipping on champagne for hours. Or trying to promote a record. Unless that is the case, then your toddler probably needs some help.
So Kanye saw this as his golden opportunity to get a couple extra minutes in the spotlight. And he GOT WHAT HE WANTED. I have no idea who won anything except 1) Taylor Swift (who was interrupted) and 2) Beyonce (who allowed Taylor to give her speech). And I know that Kanye pitched a fit. The only things I have read in the news this morning about the VMAs revolve around one jerk who likes to make waves.
I read a status last night that said "Kanye, what a jerk. What is wrong with people?" Clearly the answer is, people do things because they only think about themselves, and this is not just celebrities, it's pretty much anybody. But specifically with celebrities, we as consumers allow this to happen and to continue to happen with no reparations. This is all the buzz today, tomorrow, maybe for the rest of the week. By next week, someone else will do something equally as rude and obnoxious and we'll forget all about Kanye. Two months from now he'll put out a new album or song or video, and a music critic will say "Wellll.......yeah, I know that we shouldn't like him because of what he did, but.......I'm digging his new song/album/video." And everyone will forget about it until the next time it happens.
And life goes on. This is how it is now and how it always will be. Unless we all just try to give him what he deserves, which is to stop talking about it. Just like a toddler screaming for attention.
1 comments:
He's such a tool. However I thought Beyonce showed a lot of class having Taylor come out and speak during her time.
Post a Comment
Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.