We'll start out with Teen Mom. Chelsea, who has daughter Aubree (that's two Es, make note) with ex-boyfriend Adam, has decided that he can't see his daughter until he pays $2000 back child support. And presumably, gets a job and a place to live. And more presumptions here: stops working on his car 24/7.

I want to talk about Teen Mom for a minute. Pull up a chair and let's chat.
I started getting into 16 and Pregnant right around the same time as I was, myself, pregnant. Actually, I was almost twice as old as these girls and pregnant, but they don't have shows like that (wait, yes they do, A Baby Story -- how soon I forget the approximately 40 hours of that show I watched during maternity leave). I was fascinated with three things:
- How uneducated these girls were about basic reproductive biology
- The actual giving birth part of it, because in my mind, if a 16 year old girl could push out a baby, I could consider it NBD for me to push one out, too.
- The blatant disrespect a lot of these young fathers had for the mothers of their children, because I don't care how old or young you are, carrying a child is no joke.
Saying I was appalled only scratched the surface.
I watched all these girls: Leah (a West Virginia girl pregnant with twins after dating her boyfriend for only a month); Kailyn (who lived with her babydaddy in his family's McMansion); and Janelle (whose boyfriend was a "model" and whose mother is a crazy). They were tied together by the common bond of naivety -- not irresponsibility, because most of the girls on this show aren't BAD kids.
Save for Janelle. She is a piece of work. Gave up custody of her son so she could get her life back together, and by get her life back together she means stealing her Mom's credit cards to go on an impromptu road trip to NJ with her boyfriend and smoking pot literally less than 100 feet from where her son lives.
Clearly, most of these girls (except for Janelle) are doing the best they can with the situation they are in. Chelsea doesn't work or go to school and can't manage to finish a handful of classes to get a high school degree, but has a supportive, loving family and adores her daughter. Leah and her babydaddy showed more maturity handling their relationship than most college students (with the added burden of a mysterious medical problem with one of their beautiful twin girls)(and they seem to really love each other despite all these challenges). Kailyn realizes being with her son's father and fighting constantly would be worse for her child than if they stayed together, and works two jobs (while going to school).
I like watching this season because they aren't girls who pawn their children off on parents and party every night. MTV cast a relatively level headed bunch (again, except for Janelle). I have to say, they *appear* to be holding it together better than I do most days, and these girls are half my age. Anyway, I'm a fan and that's my little guilty pleasure.
But that doesn't mean I can't make fun of Leah and her redneck boyfriend -- after all, the are my West Virginia kinfolk.
In other big and marginally sad celebrity news, Liz Taylor died this week and was laid to rest yesterday at Forest Lawn Memorial Garden. I don't know about y'all, but my Facebook feed lit. UP. Liz Taylor fans came out of the woodwork. Apparently, we were all big fans and didn't know it. I hope she's found peace because she did a lot of good on this earth. Although someone who shall remain nameless (but is also my son's grandmother) will never forgive her for breaking up Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher.
Happy Friday, Everybody! Enjoy the weekend!
19 comments:
I felt a little bad bc I didn't know much about Liz Taylor except for white diamonds. I feel I can solidly blame my mother for that though
I love watching teen mom. It makes me happy that i'm not a crazy teenager anymore and reminds me why I dont want to have kids for a few more years- because kids are a lot of work and I wont be able to be so lazy! It breaks my heart to see leah's daughter with her medical problems. I cant imagine dealing with that, especially as a teen mom.
I don't mind the teen pregnancy shows on MTV except I always feel a little bad for those poor babies. I'm always hoping that at some point they are put first in someone's list of priorities.
And I'm with KLZ...didn't know much about Liz Taylor. Except she was buds with Michael Jackson.
I might have to check out this teen mom show ever the summer when all my regular shows are on hiatus. My friend Jenni is addicted to it.
Elizabeth Taylor was a true Hollywood legend when it actually produced such things. Our generation has the likes of Lindsey Lohan and Charlie Sheen.
Now I understand why my grandparents refer to it as the good ole days.
AND? I have never seen one episode of Teen Mom. Or the 16 & pregnant. I know MTV is claiming they're trying to inform the public of the dangers of teen sex and the reality of having a child too young, but by doing so they're giving these kids 15 minutes of fame. NOne of those kids should be on magazine covers or doing interviews.
It really is amazing how these kids just don't realize that if they use some sort of protection they have a 90%+ chance of not getting pregnant. For some reason though I am totally obsessed with these shows.
And super sads about Liz Taylor. She has done a lot of charity work in her life and she loved a lot too.
As an infertile, I can't watch this show. I started watching it when we first started trying and had the same thought as you, if they can do it, I surely can. Then we were diagnosed infertile and I can't watch the show without my blood pressure rising.
I just can't bring myself to watch these shows. Most reality TV, outside of the bachelor franchise and real dance shows, bring out a violent reaction in me.
Oh and BTW I was at home for lunch and saw the commercial for the new season of 16 and pregnant. Oh Lord this looks like an interesting one!
Tell your son's grandmother that Debbie forgave Liz. ;)
Teen Mom is a trainwreck of a show!
I was trying to catch up on Teen Mom last night, but it seems as though MTV pulled the On Demand episodes. Mine stopped midway thru episode 9. Now I have to wait and see if Katlin will ever get her stuff back from Jo.How will I make it??
Do you follow IBBB.com? He writes hysterical recaps of Teen Mom 2. You would enjoy them!
I'll never forgive Angelina Jolie for breaking up Laura Dern and Billy Bob Thornton or for breaking up Jen Aniston and Brad Pitt, even though I think Brad Pitt is a girlfriend chameleon. (Ever notice how he dyes his skin and hair to match his current lady love? Creepy.)
Also, my daughter saw Liz's pic on the front page of the paper and said, "Ooo! Who's that, Mommy? She's BEAUTiful."
I love watching Teen Mom. It makes me realize how lucky I was to never get knocked up when I was in high school.
Oh my goodness... Teen Mom is a TRAIN WRECK! I watched the first season and then I watched the new season of 16 and pregnant with the girls that you mentioned and they were even crazier!!!
I've never watched Teen Mom, but I feel bad for girls in that situation. I think a lot of times it's a lack of good information/judgement that gets them there, and I hate that they stop getting to be young before they ever get to start really enjoying it.
@BrookeI think that in Teen Mom their priorities are much better than on 16 and pregnant...and from experience, I know that nothing makes sense those first few weeks. I can understand how it would be even harder if you were really young.
Jenelle makes my blood boil. Seriously, her segments are painful to watch.
I think if it wasn't for a shared name, I would be a lot less aware of Liz Taylor. :)
OMG. I have hot opinions about teen mom 2, myself. While the girls' situations in life do break my heart, I think it's a good cautionary tale. Lets just be honest for a sec, though: Jenelle's mom's voice is the most abrasive thing I've ever heard. Its like apunch in the ears everytime.
Anyway, just discovered your blog, Love it! New follower! I do a similar friday gossip thing...Check me out at www.poodleism.com.
Post a Comment
Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.