I'm sure some of you guys witnessed my melt down last night on Twitter. For those who did not, here is a recap:
My husband picked up our son on Tuesday at our daycare provider. She's a wonderful woman, very caring and sweet to our child, but she has a huge issue with how much milk I'm providing him every day. Although we've checked with our pediatrician, who told us this amount was perfectly fine, she thinks it's not enough. Mainly, it's because she says he fusses and cries an hour after some of his bottles and he doesn't sleep well when he's with her. She also says he fusses two or three minutes after the bottle is finished.
Hub said she was quiet when he walked in, but finally she just lost it. She lit into him about the feeding schedule, which lead to a circular argument about breastfeeding and how it's different than formula feeding. Yesterday she had taken our four bottles and combined them into three. She suggested that I wasn't producing enough and that I should consider supplementing with formula.
You guys, I don't have a problem with formula. My husband was a formula fed baby and he turned out wonderful. I have friends who choose to formula feed their children and they have perfect, healthy babies. But I made the choice to breastfeed. I don't have a supply problem. He is growing and having plenty of good diapers and all that jazz. And the kicker? My son does just fine with the same amount of milk on the days his Daddy has him. So for all these reasons, I don't see why I need to supplement with formula just because he's fussy (which could be for a VARIETY OF REASONS) for a few minutes after a feeding.
I guess what saddens me so much about this situation is that there are times I feel like a second class person for breastfeeding my child. There are always people questioning. There are always anxieties. I feel like I have to always justify what I'm doing and if my child has enough. I feel like I was encouraged to breastfeed, but set up for failure by people always second guessing or undermining my choice. I know that there are Mommies of formula-fed babies who feel the same way about Mommies of breast-fed babies. Why can't we just be comfortable in our own choices and not question others? We're all doing the best we can for our child. That's ultimately the point here.
You know where I pump every day? A closet. Literally a supply closet, an 8x8 room with boxes and storage containers stacked to the ceiling. It's a smaller room in a large storage area that's open to our whole building, but only our department has keys to the supply closet. There is one light switch that turns on all the lights in the room, including my pumping room. If someone comes in and doesn't realize I'm in there, they turn off the light so I'm stuck in a room, boob hanging out, in pitch darkness.
I have no chair. there's no room for one, so I sit on the floor. It's quiet and out of the way. I have a little "do not disturb" sign on the door with a cute vector art image of a woman nursing. I think it's cute and tasteful and for an hour or so every day, makes it a little boob cafe instead of a closet. It's not the most comfortable, luxurious place in the world, but it's not a bathroom, so I should be lucky.
It's not a bathroom.
You know where I pump every day? A closet. Literally a supply closet, an 8x8 room with boxes and storage containers stacked to the ceiling. It's a smaller room in a large storage area that's open to our whole building, but only our department has keys to the supply closet. There is one light switch that turns on all the lights in the room, including my pumping room. If someone comes in and doesn't realize I'm in there, they turn off the light so I'm stuck in a room, boob hanging out, in pitch darkness.
I have no chair. there's no room for one, so I sit on the floor. It's quiet and out of the way. I have a little "do not disturb" sign on the door with a cute vector art image of a woman nursing. I think it's cute and tasteful and for an hour or so every day, makes it a little boob cafe instead of a closet. It's not the most comfortable, luxurious place in the world, but it's not a bathroom, so I should be lucky.
It's not a bathroom.
I know I made this choice to breast feed my son, so thems the breaks. I get it. I could choose to formula feed and wouldn't have to spend time pumping, but I do it because it's a labor of love. I truly enjoy nursing him. If pumping in a closet is what it takes to continue, then so be it. However, the LAST thing I need is someone who doesn't know anything about breastfeeding to question my supply. It's counterproductive and one of the most insensitive things you can say to a nursing mother.
On top of the worries that he's getting enough, and the guilt I feel for having to leave him in the first place, it's just mind blowing that this continues to happen, that my choices are continuing to be questioned. She knows it, too. She knows how much it means to me. I'm not a bad mother. If my son wasn't growing and gaining weight, if he was crying constantly or sleeping all day or not reaching milestones, if I suddenly stopped producing milk, I'd do whatever it took to get him where he needs to be, and that includes formula. I just don't see why I need to compromise my choice when it's not necessary.
But then, deep down in the darkest places in my mind, I have this niggling thought -- "what if she's right?"
And it starts all over again.
----
Update:
As I sat and stewed about it some more, I realized I neglected to tell all you how absolutely amazing my husband is. He's stepping up to bat for me with our sitter and talking it through with her because he knows how emotional I am. I don't think I could talk to her and not cry or get angry. He's definitely the level-headed one in the couple.
He knew nothing about breastfeeding, either. Actually, we learned together. Last night, when I heard him explaining the situation to his Mom, listened to him educating her on how it all works, I don't think I've ever been prouder. His love and support are the reasons I'm still breastfeeding. I'm lucky to have him.
Also, a few have asked why we don't switch daycare centers. Financially, we can't. We're only paying her for the days my husband works (which is three days) and we won't be paying her at all this summer and she's still "holding a spot" for him for the fall. I don't think I could find someone who could care for him for the amount we're paying her. So until I make more than $0.00 from this blog, I'm afraid we're out of options.
----
Update:
As I sat and stewed about it some more, I realized I neglected to tell all you how absolutely amazing my husband is. He's stepping up to bat for me with our sitter and talking it through with her because he knows how emotional I am. I don't think I could talk to her and not cry or get angry. He's definitely the level-headed one in the couple.
He knew nothing about breastfeeding, either. Actually, we learned together. Last night, when I heard him explaining the situation to his Mom, listened to him educating her on how it all works, I don't think I've ever been prouder. His love and support are the reasons I'm still breastfeeding. I'm lucky to have him.
Also, a few have asked why we don't switch daycare centers. Financially, we can't. We're only paying her for the days my husband works (which is three days) and we won't be paying her at all this summer and she's still "holding a spot" for him for the fall. I don't think I could find someone who could care for him for the amount we're paying her. So until I make more than $0.00 from this blog, I'm afraid we're out of options.

25 comments:
Courage! Parenting is full of doubt but the early stages are the hardest. As the days go on you will be more confident in your decisions.
This is one of those situations you hear about in pre-natal classes. Well meaning people giving you their misguided 2 cents. I think you are suppose to say "Thanks for your info, I will talk to my doctor about it" or "I'll consider this" Then ignore everything they say.
You're the mom and you need to trust what you know...in your heart. ♥
Like you said, he does great on days with Daddy and your pediatrician is a-ok with what you're doing.
My 7month old is formula fed (after a few months of nursing) and eats four 8oz bottles a day plus some solids. Yesterday I was reading how I "should" be feeding her only 4 ounces double the times a day. Why??? She would be so grumpy if I only gave her 4 ounces and then made her wait a couple hours for the next 4, just to do it more often.
I totally agree, the judgements just need to quit because all it does is make us question whether we're doing what's best for our babies. And quite simply, what's best for yours isn't always best for mine...and that's ok. ♥
xoxox
Only you and your husband truly know your son. If you know he's getting enough to eat, then that should be the end of that. Your daycare provider should not be questioning how much you feed your kid. And here's a news flash for her: newborns cry. No matter what. :)
People judge. That is the one thing about motherhood that just really sucks. Sometimes, I feel like I could look a person in the face one minute and tell them I formula feed and the next minute tell them I breast feed...they would judge me based on both. It's so annoying. I agree that we should all just support one another!
Ugh! Do not let this know it all woman get to you. Tell her that if she can't support your decisions then you'll have to find someone else who does. I bet she changes her tune then.
She has no right to tell you what you need to feed Luke! This just angers me. I sometimes think that people tend to overfeed their babies. Babies cry sometimes for no reason at all. They just do. I think that some people just need to keep their opinions to themselves. It would be one thing if you were starving him but you are not. You are doing what is good for YOUR baby.
As if it weren't hard enough...I'm sorry. You and your husband are the final say on this--I think. Hope all works out before you turn to Jose Cuervo for solace. ;o)
Wow... I can't believe she had the audacity to say something about it! Especially after you've gotten the "ok" from your pediatrician. I know - and you've got to know - that you're doing what is right for Luke. I have no doubt about that. I'm just sorry you have to listen to people like that. I guess I should prepare myself for that...
I don't know anything about breastfeeding but it seems to me that you have done a lot of research on the topic. Combined with the fact that he's your son and is doing well with what you are doing I definitely think you are right. I'm sure your sitter is not trying to annoy you (sometimes people who are trying to be helpful suck) but I would just keep doing what your doing and have your husband talk to her like he's doing and/or do what the first person said and tell her you will talk to you doctor or take it into consideration even though you already know that what you are doing is right. Wow run-on sentence there. Good luck. You are a good mom!
Oh, that is so frustrating! I applaud you for continuing to breastfeed, especially since you have to pump in a closet!
Someone who knows nothing about it shouldn't question- and if she is doing just fine with the same amount on the days that your husband has her, obviously, you have enough milk. Something else is going on there.
At least you know that this woman cares for your son enought to bring up her concerns, but she may not be doing it in a sensitive enough way. Don't let her get to you, you are a great mother and doing the right thing for your baby!
Amanda, this is so, so, SO wrong on so many levels! No matter what "substance" is in the bottle, she has NO right to re-distribute and change his feedings from 4 to 3! And like you said, this is enough for Luke when he's at home!
I'm so sorry you are enduring this. She is in the wrong both with her behavior and for her words.
Ahh guilt! The older Jack get's the more I find myself questioning every move I make as a parent.I guess it's all a part of this parenting gig. The truth is that these "judgy" people are out there, everywhere, so you just have learn how to tune them and go with your gut because at the end of the day only you and your husband know what's best for your son.
It sounds like you are doing great so don't let this daycare lady get to you!
PS...is she burping him? maybe he is having reflux or gas issues and that is why he is fussy after his bottle. As someone that is a daycare provider, it seems that she should know that there could be a million and one other reasons for him crying!
Every mom does what she thinks is right for her child and she will doubt herself too. But remember he is yours and you do what feels right for your family. I've heard babies/kids sometimes won't eat as good for their sitters as they do for their parents. Maybe she is not burping him enough and that's why he is fussing after feeding...it can be her Just be confident in your choices and don't let others change your mind! I know you are a great Mommy!!!
Oh darlin'...I am really sorry you are having to go through this with her. I agree with Liz, she had no right to redistribute his feedings without your consent. You should be the one to set his schedule and she should not assume that she knows your son better than you do. I don't really have anything to suggest on this topic because I have never been in your shoes and I'm not sure what the best course of action would be. But I know that mothers really need to be more sensitive to one another regarding the decisions they make when raising their children. You would obviously do anything to make your son's life better and the very last person who should be questioning that is your daycare provider. I applaud hubs for taking this over for you. You should not be expected to defend your decisions and I'm glad that he is not letting you. Also, when I worked for the DoD, I gave up my office everyday to a woman who was pumping. Her other option was a supply closet...or a bathroom...and I thought that sitting in my office with a comfortable chair and pictures and plants was just a lot more dignified...which is what you all deserve. You aren't in there selling drugs. You are providing the best nutrition possible for your baby. You should be able to escape to a castle if you so desire.
Wow. Thanks for the look at the other side. I could never produce enough milk, even with pumping, to breastfeed my children. But I tried. Because it's what I was "supposed" to do. And I felt like such a failure because I couldn't do it. I'm really sorry that you're going through this. Just goes to show the grass really isn't always greener on the other side, is it? Good luck with your battle with the daycare provider. As long as your doctor says what you're doing is right and YOU feel like what you're doing is right, then it's none of her business. She needs to keep her mouth shut. Please keep us posted.
My heart breaks for you having to deal with judgy mcjudgerson! I don't know why everyone always has to have an opinion and then feel confident enough to share it when it's not their business! Ugh.
You know what's best for your own baby. Thank goodness you have such a supportive husband to step in and help you out.
Hang in there. After you have kids there is always something to doubt yourself about.
I'm just trying to imagine what would happen if you told her you were a vegetarian and she fed your child meat without your consent...GAH! Infuriating.
Most important take away here, don't let her doubts give you doubts, you know your child best. Period.
Lots of luck mama!
It is federal law that your employer must provide a place for you to pump. It enrages me when I hear about women pumping in a toilet stall or a closet -- please talk to your human resources department!
I am so frustrated for you! I chose to formula feed and I got soooo much crap! And I know breast-fed moms who get this kind of crap, too. Effing keep out of people's boobs.
This woman needs to be told to stop. YOU are the mother and if you choose to feed your kid anything short of DRANO, she needs to accept it. I hope you guys set her straight.
And also? You kind of convinced me to sign up for Twitter. Seems where the action is!
I am not a mom, but i've never understood why people make judgements about other people's parenting choices. I mean unless you were ACTUALLY harming your child...it just seems so wrong.
You're doing what's right for you and your family - and that's PLENTY.
Dude.
I know how hard and frustrating this is. Even knowing the benefits, many, many people questioned my decision to breastfeed and told me I was causing alex's sleep issues. Our one bedroom condo and thefact he was an INFANT caused his sleep issues
Good for your hubs. It takes a big man. Keep on keeping on and call me of you need.
Ps I've been sending a friend who's fighting to bf your posts and she's so buoyed by your honesty
It's called burping. Has she tried it?
Seriously, I know how easy it is to let other people's opinions get into your head. But try not to let this inexperienced ignorant person get into yours. What you are doing is tremendous for your son and he is so obviously thriving. It is not her place at all to question you.
Amanda,
I know I'm not officially one of your "followers" but every once in a while I like to come over to blogworthy and read what you've got to say. This one especially hit me because I breastfed both of my daughters. I applaud you for doing it as well and wish more mothers felt like you. I've got one better than the supply closet though (which P.S. I think is not right) but I pumped once in the back of a covered Army 5-ton in full uniform in the middle of summer. It was crazy hot and since Audrey wasn't with me it was just for me to keep up supply and then throw away. Imagine the looks on the Army guys faces when I just came out of the back of the truck with milk and then poured it on the ground. Anyways....Luke is adorable and motherhood really suits you!
Allison
Post a Comment
Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.