Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Wonder what would happen if I ate nothing but cheese fries forever

Awhile ago at work, my coworker threw out this question: What would you choose as your last meal?

 EASY. Anything that's on an appetizer menu at a bar.

But I wanted to get more specific today and share my favorite foods and favorite places to get these delectable  items.

Cheese Fries

This is probably hands down my favorite guilty pleasure. I really enjoy me some cheese fries, y'all. My old stomping ground back in WV had these on the menu and it was a tradition to order them with our beer. The ones I like best are a little fat, lightly salted and covered with cheddar cheese. I'm talking so much cheese that it gets all melty down in the mound of fries, and when you pull a fry out of the pile, a big string of cheese attaches itself to the fry.

I've seen them with a variety of add-ons: jalepenos, bacon, chives. (no thank you, ok in small amounts, YES PLEASE). Hubby is a bacon fan, but I can take it or leave it on my cheese fries. And if you don't give me a mess of ranch dressing to dip my fries in, you're dead to me.

Now the best and worst cheese fry locations:

BEST - Fat Patty's (Huntington, WV) and Chili's (tie)- Fat Patty's is a place none of you know about because it's in West Virginia and it's not like it's a hub of excitement and intrigue. I know Jennifer has, so maybe she can add her two cents. Fat Patty's fries are "beer battered", which means they have a crispy outer shell that gives an extra flavor profile to the fries. Heaven.  Almost heaven, if you will. The cheese is always plentiful and melted just the right amount and they add chives (bonus).

Chilli's was the upset here, narrowly beating out the Honorable Mention. It's a recent find for me. Chilli's has a new special where you can get an appetizer and a meal for $10 per person. We tried their fancy-pants cheese fries as one of our apps and it was AMAZING. Points were deducted because it includes jalepenos, but all was forgiven because I took a bite of what I thought was a fat fry and it was actually cheese. Amazing.




HONORABLE MENTION - Texas Roadhouse -They do have some pretty tasty cheese fries, but they aren't consistently good. One trip you hit the cheese jackpot, the next it's like, "is there any cheese on this?" Tragic. Oh, and once we found a hair in our cheese fries there, but we did get a coupon for a free appetizer next time we visited.

WORST - Beef-O-Brady's (Gainesville, FL and other FL locations) Com'on, Beefs, and your pathetic attempt at cheese fries. I mean I drop more cheese on the kitchen floor while grating than you even put on your fries. And, cheese is extra! So it's really not cheese fries so much as it is fries with cheese on them. There's a difference, people. AND ranch dressing is extra. Fail to you, Beefs. Big time fail.

Pizza

Every time I eat pizza I tell my husband that I could eat pizza every single day of my life and be satisfied. Of course, it has to be the right pizza. What does it for me? Crust that's not to thick, not too thin; plenty of sauce and cheese -- glorious, beautiful tasty cheese. It's good and good for you. The string test applies to this one, too: cut a slice, pull it up and if the cheese strings out, you're golden.

BEST - Giovonni's Pizza (Huntington, WV) - This is another local yokel favorite of mine and I've been thinking about it ever since Tracie mentioned she'd eaten there recently on a trip back to the boonies. This pizza makes my heart sing beautiful songs of love and harmony and my saliva flow like a babbling brook. It's just so good. The crust is thin and soggy from all the grease, which speaking of grease, get your napkins ready because you'll be dabbing grease of this bad boy way before you can take a bite -- just how I like it. And they have my favorite kind of sausage -- crumbly sausage. Just enough sausage to tide me over (that's what she said).

HONORABLE MENTION - Gino's Pizza (Huntington, WV) Same type of crust, but the cheese isn't quite as consistently gooey. It's hit or miss sometimes depending on the time and location.

BEST IN NORTHERN KENTUCKY - Snappy Tomato - This is a new one for me. Sarah ordered it for me while we were visiting them. She ordered it from a gas station (true story). But man, was it good. The cheese factor was phenomenal. And I love the name. How can you not be happy chowing down on a Snappy Tomato?

BEST IN GAINESVILLE - I {Heart} NY Pizza - I know what y'all are thinking, the name of this place is so ridiculously original, it must be run by some authentic Italian American former New Yorkers. And thats' where you'd be wrong because it's actually run by a family of Middle Eastern dudes. And they are super nice and make delicious, Giovonni's style pizza, so good that Hubby and I will drive 20 minutes out of our way to get it. That's pizza dedication, my friends.

WORST PIZZA - No such thing.

Ice Cream

I'm not typically a big ice cream eater, but when I get a hankerin' there isn't a thing better in this world than chocolate ice cream with peanut butter. I hope when I die, I die while eating this delicious treat.

BEST ICE CREAM - Cold Stone Peanut Butter Perfection - More calories than a person needs in a day, but worth getting fat for. Chocolate? Check. Peanut butter? Check. PEANUT BUTTER CUPS? Ch-heck. Chocolate fudge? Check.

WORST ICE CREAM - Publix Peanut Butter Cup - While "bad" ice cream is better than good vegetables any day of the week, this really didn't live up to my expectations. It's heavy on the chocolate (talk to me...) light on the peanut butter (and stop talking.)

So there you go, all my favorite foods that aren't good for me. What are your guilty pleasures?

fries image via | pizza image via

50 comments:

Jennifer Vanderbeek said... Reply to comment

I'm not a connoisseur of the cheese fry but in a frenzy of must-have-fatty-foods-before-I-lose-my-gallbladder-and-can't-anymore (not entirely true, I've find, but also not advisable) we went to the newest local burger joint (Monk's) and ordered their bacon-cheddar fries. Um, yes, please! I was actually craving them the other week but managed not to give in.

It's hard to pick a foodie guilty pleasure because, well, I don't think about food in those terms, necessarily. Still, what comes to mind now is sugar cereals with mini marshmallow chunks in ice cold milk. Mmmmm....

Laura E. Sanchez said... Reply to comment

I have to say that I love all of the food you talk about before, but pizza is my favorite one, I totally love pizza, and all types of meat.

"http://lesanchez.blogspot.com"

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

Suddenly meatloaf for dinner does not sound so appealing :-(

Fudruckers has a cheese PUMP that I put on my burger and fries and really, i could just spoon in the cheese if it was socially acceptable.

Deb said... Reply to comment

-->I could eat pizza every day too. I recently started making buffalo chicken pizza and I think my husband is hooked.

www.websavvymom.com

foxy said... Reply to comment

Man, i LOVE cheese fries. There are a couple of local places around here that make my favorites. Pizza I can take or leave, but I'm afraid the hubs would leave me if I ever said no more. And ice cream is heaven in a carton. Since I'm from TX, I gotta say that my favorite is Blue Bell... not just because it's local, but it's simply the best.

My favorite high calorie food, hands down, is Mexican. I am a Mexican food FANATIC. I could seriously eat it for every meal.

The Only Girl said... Reply to comment

I love me some guacamole and nachos! And jujubes. And lets not forget my weakness for butter tarts.

Ian said... Reply to comment

Ok first of all I was dying over the title of this post. Secondly the post itself is funny as shit.

Reminds me of this male blogger that you might be long lost siblings of. You have the same style. Check out this similar post to this one...

http://jesseacohen.blogspot.com/2010/04/hey-if-i-swallow-that-blue-liquid-at.html

itsybitsyknitsy said... Reply to comment

Do you mean cheese fries like poutine? Or just fries with cheese. I am with you on the peanut butter chocolate icecream. I could eat it for DAYS!!! I also enjoy poutine, if that's what you mean lol.

Miranda Tucci said... Reply to comment

Would you believe that I've NEVER had cheese fries?! You've got me wanting some - I'm gonna have to make a special trip to Chili's just to get some! AND - when I go back home next month, I might have to stop by Fat Patty's and get some there too ;-)

Babes Mami said... Reply to comment

now I want Fudruckers...love that cheese pump!

liz said... Reply to comment

So, you had me reading along, getting hungry, and then I read "Huntington, WV", and immediately thought about Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. Then I giggled about all this wonderful tasting (but not-so-wonderful for your health) food, and how it's from restaurants in the same town!

I love me some bacon, too, but I can see how it would almost be a distraction when it comes to enjoying cheese fries.

SurferWife said... Reply to comment

I freaking love cheese fries. Con mas jalapenos, por favor. I wouldn't be the true Mexicana I am without my love of the jalaps.

You lost me at pizza and ice cream though. I like it fine, but I prefer other things over these. although an ice cream from Cold Stone sounds like an orgasm right about now.

Genevieve Richer said... Reply to comment

LOVE cheese fries!!!!!!! Mmmmmm Cool blog, glad i found you!

Salt said... Reply to comment

I want to dive headfirst into that plate of cheese fries. Normally I don't love such a thing, but those look amazing.

Jalapenos on anything is my jammy jam.

gv said... Reply to comment

I always wonder what if I went on an ice cream only diet...Elvis Pretzely every day for dinner? I think I'd have to lose SOME weight, right??? Now you have me cravin' cheese fries.

Chicken said... Reply to comment

Yes please to the cheese fries. Those are ALMOST as tasty as my favorite nachoes. However, I forgot about the Ranch dressing, that just might pull the fries ahead in the game. Now you want to talk guiltly pleasure Ranch + Pizza= heart attack yummy

Betsy said... Reply to comment

I will eat anything if you cover it in cheese. So now I have to go find myself some cheese fries because really? How have I never heard of this before.

jessalyn said... Reply to comment

ok. so that post, that basically just covered all of my fave foods, is great for my diet. because i reallly am trying to lose weight. but probably not today,because now i need to go out and eat all of these things. like tonight, for dinner. yup.

Hutch said... Reply to comment

OH MY GOODNESS...Cheese fries are SUCH a weakness and if they didn't have such an adverse affect on my heart pumping blood to the rest of my body I could eat them every day. AND I take them the same way! jalapenos - never ever, bacon sure, love the chives and ranch is a MUST!

Nachos are also an option but given the choice, I prefer my cheese with fries. I could never eat enough pizza when I lived in NYC, but it's just not the same out here.

Ice Cream is a battle I will never win...if I buy a tub it will get eaten in 1-3 sittings.

Copyboy said... Reply to comment

Ian is right, you are my new blogging humorous hero. Hilarious stuff. And yes, the Cheese Fries diet is a worthy question worth pondering if you ask me. haha.
Gotta get me down to WV now.

Sheba Joyce said... Reply to comment

There is a worst pizza--it is "Health Choice" Pizza---blech.

I have to shout out to Rocky Tops pizza here :)

I am not a cheese fry fan--I know--I'm the starter of an apoloclypse for saying that one. But I am a fan of--say it with me..Give me an N! N-A-C-H-O-S. I love NACHOS---but only when it's so spicey you can't feel the cheese stuck to your face! I like it HOT HOT HOT. AREEBA AREEBA

Sarah Mac said... Reply to comment

You forgot to mention how we ordered the pizza ONLINE and then picked it up in a gas station. Not just one of those plazas next to a gas station- no sir, you have to have to physically go INTO the gas station to get the pizza!!!

Cathy said... Reply to comment

Aw crap. Now I need to go out for dinner tonight to satisfy the grease craving you induced.

Best pizza in the world is in my hometown. Papa Tronnios. So good. OK, maybe I need to pick up a pizza.

Damn you.

Ally said... Reply to comment

Here in NJ we call them Disco Fries. Lame, I know.

Following you from Not Worth Mentioning...

FourthGradeNothing.com

Daisygirl said... Reply to comment

I am so hungry right now from reading this post...crap! Seriously cheese fries, ice cream and pizza! Yummy! I am doing a cleanse thing today and all I have had is an apple!

Melissa said... Reply to comment

OMG Fat Pattys! Its dangerous being so close! I have yet to find anything there I did not love (and trust me, I've been there tons of times). As for the Pizza, next time you are in Northern KY, try La Rosas. Its AMAZING!

Jules AF said... Reply to comment

I wish I weren't lactose intolerant. I love me some cheese fries....

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said... Reply to comment

OMG! Fat Patty's is amazing!!! You know I love that place! If I could I'd ship you an order of them. I wonder if they'd make it? lol Now I might have to go there tomorrow!

SmartBear said... Reply to comment

I don't even look at the rest of the menu anymore. I just order me a bunch of appetizers. I have to have bacon on my cheese fries though. What's wrong with you? Don't you know everything is better with bacon. I actually tried bacon ice cream last week. Well, it was pretty disgusting....but STILL...BACON! And ranch? You mean, people eat cheese fries without ranch? That's like eating pancakes without syrup.

Steam Me Up, Kid said... Reply to comment

You just ruined me. My teeth are all brushed and now I'm leaning towards getting dressed and going out to my local pub for Irish nachos, which are thinly sliced fried potatoes with melted cheese, sour cream, and green onions. Best thing ever.

Unknown said... Reply to comment

You had me at cheese. I think lasagna or Vinni Van-go-go's Pizza/calazones from Savannah, GA may be the thing I wish for most days.

Julie said... Reply to comment

I am so hungry now. For real. I'm not just sayin' that!

The Random Blogette said... Reply to comment

Chili's cheese fries are UH-MAZING! We just went there the other day and the hubs insisted on getting cheese fries. I wasn't too sure about it but they were so yummy that I could eat them every day.

As for Pizza, we have Vito's. They make some of the most amazing, original pizzas. They have a Tony Packo's pizza (TP is one of our local places, but is known all over). It has Hungarian sausage dogs sliced on it with chili, onion and mustard! You would think that it would be gross but it is so YUMMY!

And I totally agree with you that any ice cream with chocolate and peanut butter is da bomb!

Oh and I am lactose intolerant too, but I just stock up on dairy pills!

OMG! I am so hungry now and it is only 9 am!

KLZ said... Reply to comment

My husband always jokes that I could live on apps and desert.

I'm not sure why that's funny :)

I think best cheese fries = Portillo's. Or do you guys have Lonestar steakhouses? Like Roadhouse but consistently cheesy and with "Texas" ranch dressing. Yum. (Plus, bonus, no jalapenos to be found.)

Unknown said... Reply to comment

I could eat cheese or mexican food every day... oh, good grief, now I'm hungry!

Cheeseboy said... Reply to comment

Cheeseboy does love him some good cheesefries!

If you ate pizza every day for the rest of your life, you probably would be living a real short life. But at least you would die satisfied. I know I would.

Stephanie Faris said... Reply to comment

Yummmmmmmm! I'm a sucker for foods that are bad for me too. Mexican food is my favorite...but for nachos, I like really GOOD nachos that you can only get at restaurants with bars. Chili's used to have good nachos but they ruined them, IMHO, when they came out with their new menu.

Sarah With Scissors said... Reply to comment

You would love Canada. We have poutine. You should check it out. Fries, cheese and gravy. Mmmmmm.... Poutine.

Sarah said... Reply to comment

This post makes me so hungry. Eat the cheese fries, and come back and blog about how awesome they are!

MariahSmile said... Reply to comment

I've been to Fat Patty's multiple times and have never had their cheese fries, sounds like I need to make a trip there soon! Outback cheese fries are amazing too!

I am very suprised you didn't say Austin's for favorite ice cream cause it is definately one of mine! Ice cream is my true guilty (or not so guilty) pleasure!

Hear Mum Roar said... Reply to comment

At the moment, my guilty pleasures are chocolate and doritos

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

Completely agreed on Beefs - what a waste. I had my favorite bar make me cajuned curly chili-cheese fries last Friday...so good.

What do you think about Momo's pizza with meatballs and mushrooms?

VKT said... Reply to comment

Golly, what a great post Amanda. I am glad I stumbled on your blog. The title caught my attention. I am going to follow you and would love it if you would follow me back. I definitely want to try the Giovinni's pizza now. Thanks

Tracie said... Reply to comment

You're about to get really jealous. I can walk to Giovannis from where I live. Or I can get in the car and drive 5 minutes to get to the other local one. There are about 5 Giovannis withing 15 minutes of my house. In fact, I'm going there for my traditional Sunday night pizza buffet.

I do miss Ginos though. I like the Pubwich and their mozzeralla sticks.

PS Where is Fat Pattys?? Sounds like I need to go there.

Stephanie said... Reply to comment

Mmmmm cheese fries. Totally my favorite food too! Yum!

Stephanie said... Reply to comment

Mmmmm cheese fries. Totally my favorite food too! Yum!

Cheryl said... Reply to comment

I could live off the appetizer menu. Whenever I go to the airport, I make sure I get there in time to have Nathan's cheese fries. Mmm. Have you tried Satchel's Pizza in Gainesville? My absolute fave. And I know it's weird to say this about a pizza place, but their salad is awesome.

Cheryl said... Reply to comment

OH! And The Top has amazing buffalo tempeh. Great, now I need to plan a visit to Gainesville just so I can eat... thanks. ;)

Jackie said... Reply to comment

hmm....maybe ordering pizza from a gas station is more a midwestern thing? We have a few different chains where they have whole pizzas you can order and pick up here. it's weird, and not very good most of the time, but technically does qualify as pizza if you are craving that taste. ;)

Jackie said... Reply to comment

oh, and btw, the very best chocolate and peanut butter ice cream I've ever had has been Hagen Daas (or however you spell it. I'm too lazy to look right now). So totally yummy. heavy on chocolate and moderate on pb. Speaking of that combo, the best peanut butter cups (in my opinion) are not Reeses, but the little minis from Sam's Club/Wal-Mart. Little. Deep. Super creamy pb. Thicker chocolate than Reeses. Yum.

Post a Comment

Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.

Related Posts with Thumbnails