Thursday, March 4, 2010

Our Disney Sports Weekend (Volume 2): Econo Lodge ain't playing

I'm sure you've all been waiting eagerly to hear the next installment of my Disney Sports Weekend story, so I'll go back to Saturday evening before I got famous.

We usually don't stay overnight at Disney because I work for a not-for-profit and my husband works for a Christian school, so his riches are in Heaven and mine are invested back into our community (i.e. we're poor people). So when we do, it's crucial that we stay at some really fine cheap establishments. I usually just go on Expedia or wherever and choose the lowest price in the area.We've stayed at some dooseys, let me tell you. And this particular Econo Lodge was, like, $30 bucks a night with tax. Listen, beggars can't be choosers.

We drove out of the sparkly, happy fairyland of the Disney resort area and into Kissimmie where unscrupulous people try to sell you time-shares, steal all your money with fake tickets and cheap t-shirts, and con you into taking their "high speed transportation" (read: van) to Disney although it takes 4 years to get there. But look! They feed you a continental breakfast before you go, HOW NICE OF THEM.

Hubby pulled into the Econo Lodge parking lot and the sign blinked  "CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN!" and also "COMPUTERS IN EVERY ROOM!"  Hubby said, "This place doesn't look like we'll get murdered too hard here." and I said, "yeah, and it's clean. And there are computers?"

You know a place is super-classy when you see the little bullet-proof glass window for all check-ins after 10 pm. I love those places. It makes me feel very safe and secure and not at all like I need to keep pepper-spray under my pillow.

Anyway, we found out upon check in that there were indeed computers in every room and we could access them for the low, low cost of $2.95 per night. I'm thinking, no way is there a computer in that room, they must have their crazy pants on or something. I mean let's refer back for a moment to the bullet-proof glass check-in and then consider that crack addicts looking for something to steal and sell for their next fix know there are computers in every room BECAUSE IT'S ON THE GIANT FLASHING SIGN. So there really was no way I wouldn't get murdered in my sleep that night if there was, in fact, a computer in my room.

And damned if there wasn't a computer in our freaking room. Like a full-on desktop computer bolted to the desk.

We surveyed the room and I said, "it doesn't look too dirty at all!" because that was the high standard by which I was judging this room. "Look! There is a bed and a toilet and a shower! We can definitely sleep and poop and wash our bodies in this room!" NEVERMIND the coaxial on the TV was from the stone ages and therefore no longer worked and we had to call to get it fixed. The guy who answered the "fix it" line asked if we wanted a credit or for him to fix it. Yes, a credit on basically nothing. Actually I wish I would have taken the credit to be honest.

We dropped our bags off and then went to this lovely wing place, which turned out to be a Hooters knock off. The perky little hostess came up to us and I think we were both so shocked at her lack of pants that we were all, "yes, a table for 2 please" like it was the nicest fancy place on the planet. Honestly, I feel a little uncomfortable with so much boob and butt-cheek showing. I don't frequent Hooters, I mean more power to those little ladies and I'm not all "Shameful!" and clutching my pearls or anything. It's just not my kind of place. But we were hungry and already there and Hubby and I both had a ton of pity for our waitress and her fake eyelashes and nails and one-size-too-small boyshorts. He said he felt a little weird being a faux-Hooters as a married man (that means I have him securely wrapped around my little finger.) The food wasn't that bad, actually.

It was called Ker's Winghouse (and here is Ker, the founder, not creepy AT ALL), and it was like Hooters' not-so-pretty-or-talented-sister-who-acts-slutty-to-make-up-for-it. There was so much nakedness framed on the walls of this joint. And they had the most terrible slogan: "Need we say more!" -- written just like that. Firstly, yes, please do say more because that slogan makes no sense to me. Secondly, why is there an exclamation mark, because isn't that a question? "Need we say more? Please answer yes or no." That bothered me a lot.

Well after dinner we went back to the hotel and delighted in the fact that all our things were still in the room and there were no dead bodies! And as I'm getting my bathroom bag from the desk, I notice this sign:



So basically, if you take anything, even by accident, they will charge you for it. Because in the real world, pillows are worth that much, as are the faded bedspreads from 1992. P.S. Who would take a hotel bedspread? That's nasty on so many different levels. Econo Lodge isn't even messing around, y'all. They are serious as a heart attack about their white washcloths and towels.

There is also this:



Um, you guys....IT'S A LAMINATED MENU. I mean it would probably cost 50 cents to copy a new one and laminate it because you know if they have computers in every room, they must have a laminating machine up in that Econo Lodge. But conversely, who roaming God's green pastures would steal a hotel menu? I wonder if there is a charge associated with it...

In the morning we mosey downstairs for our free, continental breakfast. Now ponder for a second in your brains what continental breakfast means to you. Toast, pastry and juice, or eggs, bacon and gravy? If it's the latter, I'm sorry friend, but you're in for a long life of disappointment.

Toast, generic-city-USA pastries and juice were on the menu. But of course, this older lady was talking Hubby's ear off about everything under the sun and at one point says, "This really isn't much of a breakfast, is it? Tsk-tsk." and Hubby and I looked at each other like, "Really? You expected more than this when a night's lodging and breakfast is less than one meal at Ker's Winghouse?" (I told you -- LONG LIFE OF DISAPPOINTMENT!)

Tomorrow or maybe Saturday, I'll share Volume 3 of this epic weekend trip. This one will be very picture heavy and not so many words.

21 comments:

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

Oh, that is seriously funny. My parents are snow birds, and they spend the winter in Florida. *Jealous.*

Anyway, Craig and I were visiting a while back and my parents' friends took us to this restaurant off the highway.

The windows were tinted with black peel and stick, the place looked like a shack out of Deliverance, and no joke, there was a goat tethered outside in a little cage.

I remember thinking OH DEAR LORD...but you know what? The food was REALLY good. The lesson: Sometimes when your expectations are SO LOW, life throws you a nice surprise - As in the goat was still alive after we finished eating, and I was SO pleasantly surprised!

Daydream Believer said... Reply to comment

This post was freaking hysterical! I almost wish I had written it, but then I would have had to endure this scary place!! I'm glad you're safe!! ;-)

MariahSmile said... Reply to comment

Your hubby gets major points for that statement! Good job :)

Julie said... Reply to comment

Seriously - they think people are going to walk away with a bedspread?!? I guess I live in a sheltered world!

You're experiences during this trip are priceless -- in good and bad ways! :)

Blessings!

Emma said... Reply to comment

Being someone who works in the service industry, I can attest to the fact that people will steal anything that's not bolted down just because they can. However, I don't think that was a fair price for the washcloths... Unless they came from Pottery Barn (Love! Egyptian cotton!), which I doubt.

Man and I once made the awful mistake of booking a hotel online. An Econo Lodge, actually. What we got was basically a walk-in closet with a bed and a tv in a building set between a half-torn down strip mall and a Dairy Queen where all the local degenerate youth hung out. Never. Again.

Hey, thanks for the awesome comment on my blog. <3

Cathy said... Reply to comment

This is all crazy! All of it! I would have probably driven away from the motel until I found something that looked like I wouldn't get murdered. You are braver than I.

Jules AF said... Reply to comment

The shameful and clutching your pearls things made me laugh so hard hahaha.

Sarah said... Reply to comment

Indeed.

You are livin' the good life in Orlando.

As good a life as can be expected in an Econo Lodge.

HilARious.

Allyson said... Reply to comment

I'm so totally digging on this post...I don't even know where to start. Before this life, when I was engaged to many men who wanted to drink beer instead of spend good money on hotels, I spent way too many nights (and lived in way too many apartments) that bordered the red light district. So I totally. get. this. And it's awesome. And I'm glad there were no dead hookers under your bed or tapped-out crack addicts in your shower. *sigh of relief* But when you find yourselves in these stellar establishments, I REALLY hope you bring along your own linens. PLEASE tell me you bring your own linens. And Hooter's? Is a joke. (Oh and that Van Kerplunk or whatever his name is has "pedophile" written all over him. I looked at his little biography. Something tells me he discovered something BESIDES football and the restaurant biz in high school...like the elementary school next door). Anygross, I'm glad you survived this leg of the adventure. It truly makes for a fantastic story and I'm so glad you jotted it down for our reading entertainment.

Oh and PS...bad grammar (i.e. ending a question with an exclamation mark) makes me CRAZY. The red line that indicates a misspelling haunts me at night.

Jennifer Vanderbeek said... Reply to comment

Hey, clean and a lock on the door (that works!) is pretty good for $30 a night.

Says the girl whose going to be in Orlando for a convention next weekend and will be in the same boat--but not the same hotel!

foxy said... Reply to comment

You are are great storyteller, my friend! Those waitress outfits are just unfortunate, really. But if Ker's food is anything like Hooters, then it's pretty tasty.

Glad you weren't murdered in the Econolodge!! Whew! Big sigh of relief. And I'm with ya... who in their RIGHT MIND would want one of their bedspreads?? DOUBLE ICK.

Claudya Martinez said... Reply to comment

Don't lie! You know you want to decorate your home with used ugly bedspreads and laminated menus. Yuck!!!

Thank you so much for visiting on my SITs day!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said... Reply to comment

Ok first of all yes..there should have been a question mark after that sentence. But really...from their establishment would you expect them to follow the rules of grammer?

I can't believe they have those prices on those crap items!!

JMJE said... Reply to comment

I really like the photo of Ker surrounded by his lady friends.

gv said... Reply to comment

Computers in room=awesome...girls with no clothes on around your food=not so awesome...

notquiteawake said... Reply to comment

I totally accidentally want to a Hooters knock off last night! We're the same! Except I wasn't in Florida. And your husband probably didn't tell you about these strip clubs he goes to with non-attractive drugged up women while you're thinking to yourself what on earth could be appealing about that. Probably not right? Right. Anyways....um.....good post!

Unknown said... Reply to comment

I've seen those signs. It seems the cheaper the hotel, the more threatening the sign. I also like when they say, if you take this robe with you $65 dollars will be charged to your room. If you'd like to buy a new one, they are available at the gift shop. Uh, if I wanted one of your lame robes, I would not take the one used by 400 people before me. Because it's got a weird stain on it.

Tammy said... Reply to comment

Love it! Stopping by from SITS! Have a great weekend!

Salt said... Reply to comment

I am going to have to stop by your other installment of this trip, because it sounds fabulous so far, but I will tell you that I am a serial hotel room item stealer. If there is no price associated with it, you better believe it will end up in my luggage. Including hotel menus.

Me-Me King said... Reply to comment

This sounds like many a trip I have taken. I'm always "on the cheap" for a motel room. For goodness sakes, it's just a place to sleep.

What really got me was the $175 for the bedspread...c'mon!!! We are all hip to hotel bedspreads. I won't even sit on one.

Cheryl said... Reply to comment

Okay, now I'm glad that I fell behind on my reader b/c I don't have to wait in between installments... SCORE! :) Whenever I stay in Kiss-a-me (as my cousin calls it... no, she's not 5; she's almost 40), I always try to find the hotel where I'll least likely to be murdered. It's not an easy game! A semi-clean room is just an added bonus.

Post a Comment

Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.

Related Posts with Thumbnails