Anyone who knows me knows I'm terribly uncoordinated, terrible at sports, hate to sweat and just all around lazy. This is why I've never gotten into a workout routine and stuck with it. This is also why it's never a good idea to include me in organized sports of any kind. Jody has never forgiven me for the Greek Week 2002 debacle and I don't blame her for that.
That's not saying I haven't tried and haven't been successful. Before my wedding, I counted my calories, ate salads for lunch and worked out using some pilates and dance workout DVDs. I lost about 8 pounds, enough to fit into the wedding dress (by the way, I didn't purposely buy a wedding dress too small, it just was ordered that way. That's another blog for another day.)
Again, this spring I set out to get on a workout plan that I could stick with, lose a few pounds and become a Runner. You know those people, Runners -- the ones who crave it, who can get up at 6 a.m. to run 3 miles and then be fresh as a daisy and ready to start the day, who run when it's raining or snowing or hot as balls outside. So I Googled training guides and found the Couch to 5K training plan. Go look at it. Totally harmless. You start out walking, you can WALK, right? Just 5 minutes. Then jog for 60 seconds, then walk for 90 and repeat this for 20 minutes. Just 20 minutes! Simple! Easy! Fun! Then, suddenly, you will have a totally hot body and be able to run miles and miles and win races, right?
This didn't exactly happen for me, but I did get somewhere with this plan. Before I went on a running haitus, I was up to running a over 3 miles in less than 35 minutes. Then my sister got married and I pigged out at the wedding, then we started looking for our house, then lots of other things happened and I just got out of it. Then it got busy at work and stress eating kicked in and now my pants don't fit and I work in non-profit so I'm too poor to buy more pants.
Side note: it's no wonder Americans are so fat considering it costs more to eat healthy than it does to pig out on fast food.
I am trying to squeeze in 20 minutes, 3 times every week in addition to my garage and stair walking on my off days. I am also going to try and cool it with the whole eating junk food, but it's hard to "Just Say No" to the cake and cookie pushers in my office. Exercise might be my only option to not gain 40 more pounds.
Do you guys have a plan? Anyone want to participate with me!? We can buy t-shirts when we're done!

3 comments:
Well...I basically do anything for those t-shirts...
I've attempted my own version of turning my non-running self into someone that can do a 5k. I did a pretty good job of it... but then a bunch of life happened and I slipped. Getting back into the swing of my working out and I'm going to put the treadmill back into the mix, unfortunately it's not a time of year around here that I can do it outside.
Good job to you for getting your activity in!
I found this story about how French women stay thin (without killing themselves at the gym) online a few months ago. I've really taken it to heart and had some real success with some of this stuff.
http://tinyurl.com/yaoz6s9
The things about portion control and fitting exercise into your routine are major helps. With the former, you can eat what you want as long as you can control yourself. WIth the latter, you can find ways to fit this all into your routine.
Post a Comment
Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.