Monday, November 23, 2009

Basketball Chronicles: Thoughts from Game 1


Hubby's first game as varsity coach was this past Thursday, and I was able to attend and cheer him on. The games are played in a church that is converted into a gym -- no, more specifically, it's a gym that has a stage and chairs, which is where the church service is held on Sundays. But every other day of the week, it's a gym. It's odd. And besides that, there is apparently a force field around the building that makes it impossible to pick up a cell phone signal, pretty much across the board for everyone attending. I suspect it was a way to keep church goers from texting, tweeting or accessing sports scores. I was sitting by myself and unable to communicate with the outside world, so instead of Tweeting my thoughts, I typed them all into the memo pad on my phone, and now I'll share them with y'all.

  • The opposing team are on my last ever-loving nerve. They are loud, rude and smelly.
  • It's pathetic that people are not more supportive of this team. Only 15 people here, and they keep walking around instead of watching.
  • Hubby: You are very loud when you yell. 
  • The one kid throwing up unnecessary 3s needs to be benched. That's an official decision from the stands.
  • By "stands", I mean the chairs lined up on the stage of the church.
  • Mercy, from what holler did they dig this other team up?
  • OMG I seriously cannot handle this. My blood pressure is out of control. Just kick their butts already.
  • These little boys' legs are too skinny to be running this fast. It's too much. Someone is going to get hurt.
  • Oh, look, someone just got hurt.
  • Oh, look, he forgot that he was hurt about 5 minutes after he got hurt. Good thing teenagers are resilient. 
And then it was halftime, so I got out my BHG Magazine.

And then it started and I tried to watch, but sometimes got distracted by BHG Magazine. I'm sure he really didn't expect me to pay attention the whole time.
  • Wonder how long it takes the Dad who is cheering for the other team to fix his hair in the mornings. Probably too long for someone over 45.
  • To that guy: You look ridiculous. You're not 20. Get over yourself.
It was at this point I got a little bored and wrote a haiku about my work pager:

What's that beeping sound?
The sound of work happening.
Don't hate the pager.
Then back to my random thoughts:
  • It smells like sweat in here. What if it's me?  More likely that it's the teens playing ball. But you never know.
  • Hubby MAKE THEM QUIT TRAVELLIINNNGGGG.
  • Ok, up by 30 they should win, but this is no time to relax.
  • Being a coach's wife is HARD.
The did won by 30 and I was able to relax, but seriously?  Sports stress me out! I just knew that if they lost, it would be sullen and sad at my house for DAYS. Thank God for a win.

3 comments:

Miranda Tucci said... Reply to comment

Another LOL post :)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said... Reply to comment

I seriously started laughing non stop when I read the What if it's me that smells? line lol

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

I nearly fell over laughing at the "holler" memo. I'm from a place that has an insane "holler heathen" population. I thought it was bad until I started traveling the rest of West Virginia for football games when I was in the high school band.

Let's see: We marched onto the field beside a family of chickens, got egged, marched on a rocky football field and trudged through a mud pit. That's just the tip of the iceberg :)

Post a Comment

Fulfill your burning desire to discuss my blog. Go on, just cliky below and type your thoughts. I'm listening.

Related Posts with Thumbnails